Looks like I'm not alone (TRX153 Customers)

• Members

I don't understand why they're recommending people use a 1000watts/channel amplifier to power these speakers. They rate them at 1200watts PEAK. They indicate a 600 watt RMS value? Usually that would translate to 1200 watts program and 2400 watts peak. Never in a million years. These are big cabinets but it's just one 15'' woofer in there.....The 600 watt should be the program power value. Anything over 600 watts is playing with fire IMO. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members
Originally posted by Al Poulin

I don't understand why they're recommending people use a 1000watts/channel amplifier to power these speakers. They rate them at 1200watts PEAK. They indicate a 600 watt RMS value? Usually that would translate to 1200 watts program and 2400 watts peak. Never in a million years. These are big cabinets but it's just one 15'' woofer in there.....The 600 watt should be the program power value. Anything over 600 watts is playing with fire IMO. Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

And a typical Eminence cast frame model,unless they've changed to something else recently. 600 watts is very generous,for any brand with a similar driver.

• Members
Originally posted by Al Poulin

They are probably referring to "their" 1000 watts/channel....:)

• Members

Al,

I run mine at 500 watts each up to and a little past clip with no problems other than standing too close to them.

The 600 watt woofer gives a chest thumping bass (at volume). Its interesting how the bass is ported through the top of the speaker (either side of the HF driver).

It would be great if someone here with the appropriate meters could do a spec check on these speakers. I know I keep raving about their performance, but I am truly impressed with their volume and intelligibility. Not as good as the PAAS I A/Bed them with, but certainly very good.

• Members
Originally posted by Smitty-PNS

Al,

The 600 watt woofer gives a chest thumping bass (at volume). Its interesting how the bass is ported through the top of the speaker (either side of the HF driver).

That port location really isn't that odd. Lots of speakers are ported on the top,one side,back,wherever there is room for the vent.

• Members

I'm an equal opportunity skeptic, doesn't matter what company it is I'll pick it apart to find holes. I like the TRX design, seems like a good one. I liked the TCS better but Carvin ended thier relationship with TCS prolly due to slow sales or maybe a difference in opinion on the direction of the products. I'd really like to get 4 of the TCS dual 10" tops they had but alas I slept thru that fire sale...

The TRX though is made by carvin with decent B&C drivers from what I can tell. One thing I know from the 1584 and 1588 boxes is that the midrange drivers are NOT sealed (for all you speakerheads out there you know what this means and it's a general no-no). I would like to know if the TRX mid is sealed as well, also what components are they? Looking at the specs it LOOKS like the PS8 off the back page as well they sell the high-freq driver too. The raw 15" woofer has the same rating as the B&C woofer the TRX has. So I'm a bit skeptical, not to mention the amp package they put with this makes no sense.

Here in seattle I don't know anyone or anywhere I can go to hear the TRX's. I'd really like to though, if it's a good box then maybe it's something I'd consider using myself. Atleast it may keep someone from buying a 1562.

p

• Members

I tried telling you it's a useless argument on these forums;)

I try just to lurk around and not comment anymore here because everytime I do somebody has a smartass stupid answer to reply with.

All I can say is that *I* am happy with what I run, and it does what I need it to do. If I need anything els I will just buy it when the time comes.

I could go to every bass forum around and just push Eden bass amplification but I don't, even on Edens forum I try to give honest and sincere advise for those that have questions about gear. I try to help as best that I can, and I have always stated that if you put good sound into any PA/ amplifier you will get good sound out. I can take *ANY* bass amplifier and make it work for me under any conditions, if you do your homework, have a good sound, good technique, good style of playing, anything will work.

• Members

kinda seems like the word Carvin in a post gets more peoples back hair up more than Behringer...

(I do own some behringer rack gear AND use carvin 12's and 18's. The carvins were an ok bang for the buck the verdict is out on the behr)

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

I liked the TCS better but Carvin ended thier relationship with TCS prolly due to slow sales or maybe a difference in opinion on the direction of the products.

TCS is still a owned and operated by Carvin, but is now marketed and sold under the name TCS through a dealer network. They did this for a couple reasons. The reasons they'll tell you is that a dealer network can do things like have product closer to customers, provide local support, and demonstrate products to potential customers. I'm sure it also has to do with getting at least a little bit away from the Carvin name, and the stigma associated with that name. And trust me, there's a stigma. It's not that Carvin stuff is bad, it's just that it's not great. IMO, it's fairly decent stuff at a reasonable price, and that's about it.

And TCS still makes a dual 10 box, but the design has changed a little, and I'm sure it costs more.

• Members

B. Adams,

QUOTE:

"...it's fairly decent stuff at a reasonable price, and that's about it."

I agree with this completely.

I do believe based on my experience that Carvin offers a few jewels in amongst the decent stuff as well.

In the pro sound area its the TRX153, (not so much the TRX152). The TRX is available occassionally for $549 on the Carvin eBay store.

The PM15 while not a jewel, is a good speaker at a great price. $189 on the Carvin eBay store.

• Members

Originally posted by Smitty-PNS

Vinny D,

You sure called it right. The usual cast showed up.

Look at what I said, and look who showed up with their sarcastic comments...

You know what's ironic here is that the Carvin fan club is far more rabidly fanatical than their detractors. I've owned two Carvin guitars. I wanted to like them, but they were huge disappointments. They just weren't anywhere near reliable enough for stage use. When I post my real experiences based on two guitars I bought new and owned for over a year each, there are several Carvin fans that routinely attack my credibility and start the name calling. All I'm doing is honestly stating my experiences.

By the same token, while I think they're better guitars than the Carvins I owned, I don't care much for Les Pauls. There is no cadre of Gibson fans jumping on my ass whenever I offer that opinion.

What people here will take issue with is people who have no real experience who are taking in by Carvin's slick marketing (it really is good) and proclaim Carvin better than the competition with no real world experience to support those claims. You for instance, say their specs are accurate, but you really have no idea other than your perception if that's true or not.

Personally, I've been happy with the Carvin PA gear I bought. Performance wise, I'd compare it to mid-level Yamaha for slightly less money. IMHO, it's decently priced, entry - lower mid level gear. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Members

To Smitty :

I don`t think anyone will disagree Carvin does have some decent/good value offerings in entry level pro sound gear. Some of their stuff, such as PM15 and TRX153 do indeed seem to offer good performance for the price. I would rather be seen with Carvin gear than Behringer any day. Carvin gear isn`t bashed in general and I have seen many users happy with the stuff as I have seen users OK or not at all happy with the stuff. Most manufacturers have good and not so good products or product lines. They seem to have some very inexperienced people giving advice to users on their products however. -Like the 1000 watt into the TRX153 recommendation or the fact that you will lose highs or sound will get muddy if you underpower their speakers??? Overall, I think Carvin is fairly well regarded in entry level/value for money sound gear. The EAW and Yorkville comments were an unfair generalisation of this forum. I have seen countless recommendations for Peavey`s PR series which are priced as competitively as possible for entry level PA speakers. Yamaha clubs also get recommended as do many other speakers which are not exactly touring quality cabinets. It is true that Yorkville speakers are often recommended but most members will not recommend the Performance and Pulse lines. Because most advice of the members here is good advice based on experience and we will always try to recommend what is best for a given poster`s needs - all while keeping budget in mind. I have even recommended Behringer`s XM8500 microphone as much as I dislike Behringer. I recommend it because I feel it`s an excellent value and the sound is good and is suitable for many applications - for karaoke, for the guy who swings the mic while signing or even as a spare. Keep your Shure for yourself! If Yorkville, Yamaha, Peavey, QSC etc...keep being recommended, it`s because their products are of consistently better quality, better sound and better durability than other brands and are a better investment in the long run. I have never seen anyone recomend EAW / Meyer or Turbosound to the new guy on a budget that wants to buy a decent PA for his band on the weekend...It`s when generally doubtful or untrue claims or comparisons - such as the twice the power at half the price are made - or exagerrated praises for certain products that we will question the validity of a poster`s comments. We`re not necessarily attacking Carvin products in general. We`re all pretty nice but can be sarcastic some times....Best wishes :thu: Al Poulin - Party-time! DJ Services

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Vinny D

I tried telling you it's a useless argument on these forums;)

I try just to lurk around and not comment anymore here because everytime I do somebody has a smartass stupid answer to reply with.

All I can say is that *I* am happy with what I run, and it does what I need it to do. If I need anything els I will just buy it when the time comes.

I could go to every bass forum around and just push Eden bass amplification but I don't, even on Edens forum I try to give honest and sincere advise for those that have questions about gear. I try to help as best that I can, and I have always stated that if you put good sound into any PA/ amplifier you will get good sound out. I can take *ANY* bass amplifier and make it work for me under any conditions, if you do your homework, have a good sound, good technique, good style of playing, anything will work.

When your posts amount to personal insults, what do you expect? And when it's in the form of passive-aggressive, indirect sarcasm, are you any better than those you're whining about? If you've got a problem with anyone's answers here, at least have the balls to address the person and the issue directly. Or go back into "retirement" or whatever the {censored} you call this hit-and-run bull{censored} you've be pulling.

Neither you nor smitty are contributing anything but animosity to this forum. If you don't like the "regulars" or the forum, nobody is forcing you to post here. The fact that Carvin isn't well respected isn't our problem; everyone here posts their opinion as they see it, just as you say you do. There's never a problem until a True Believer takes personal insult to a technical opinion and starts whining.

To address this post directly, what purpose does it serve? Taken at face value it looks like spam. It offers no information, doesn't ask or answer a question. So what if the "usual cast" shows up and is less that respectful? What exactly are you two looking for? To prove your little point that if you post inane {censored} about a marginal product, you'll get negative responses? Well, here you go, you got it.

How long will this "retirement" period last? The last one was what, a day?

Archived