Power Amp?

• Members

In my other thread the band whose system we are using as an example states they run their rig at 40% (RMX2450's).

Does this mean they are running the power amp volume at 40% or are they running the power amp wide open and keeping the system volume on the board at 40%?

• CMS Author

Further to GCDEF's comment, the attenuators on a power amp will give no indication of the amount of available power being used....because this depends entirely on the input signal level. Even with the attenuators just off infinity, a really hot signal can fully drive the amp.

Similarly there's no 0-100% indication on a mixer (or really any audio gear). Setting the main faders at 40% of their travel means nothing....it's all relative to what's going into the mixer, and where all the channel gains and faders are set, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Further to GCDEF's comment, the attenuators on a power amp will give no indication of the amount of available power being used....because this depends entirely on the input signal level. Even with the attenuators just off infinity, a really hot signal can fully drive the amp.

Similarly there's no 0-100% indication on a mixer (or really any audio gear). Setting the main faders at 40% of their travel means nothing....it's all relative to what's going into the mixer, and where all the channel gains and faders are set, etc.

I think we're back to the thread where someone was advised to buy a huge amp and run it at half.

But the attenuators DO give an indication to the amount of power available IN A CALIBRATED SYSTEM. With the attenuators just off infinity ... where are you gonna get a signal to drive the amp to full? Not from your mixer! It has a maximum out. The attenuators do tell you how many dB you've changed the sensitivity. So if you've set they system so that the max from your mixer (whose 100% indication is the clip light and how far into clipping is acceptable to you) you can tell how much of your system is being used.

The other day I couldn't convince a caller who was concerned that the limiter in a VSX only went to 20:1 and another manufacturer's unit went to infinity:1. I told him it was the same thing. He just couldn't understand that when you set the threshold to anywhere above +4 there simply isn't enough drive to ever get any more real output from a 20:1 limiter. To get 3dB more out you'd have to get 60dB more out from your mixer ... it's just not there.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

I think we're back to the thread where someone was advised to buy a huge amp and run it at half.

But the attenuators DO give an indication to the amount of power available IN A CALIBRATED SYSTEM. With the attenuators just off infinity ... where are you gonna get a signal to drive the amp to full? Not from your mixer! It has a maximum out. The attenuators do tell you how many dB you've changed the sensitivity. So if you've set they system so that the max from your mixer (whose 100% indication is the clip light and how far into clipping is acceptable to you) you can tell how much of your system is being used.

The other day I couldn't convince a caller who was concerned that the limiter in a VSX only went to 20:1 and another manufacturer's unit went to infinity:1. I told him it was the same thing. He just couldn't understand that when you set the threshold to anywhere above +4 there simply isn't enough drive to ever get any more real output from a 20:1 limiter. To get 3dB more out you'd have to get 60dB more out from your mixer ... it's just not there.

I can see has point, I refuse to use l limiters that have less then a 21.8456 : 1 ratio ---

Some people just can't see the big picture.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by dboomer

I did say "really hot signal" was needed with attenuators just off infinity. The point is not whether such a signal can be provided by normal operation, but merely to illustrate how attenuators work.

Archived