Soundcraft Spirit FX16 vs. A&H Mixwiz

• Members

The Peavey RSM4062 is a very worthy "used" contender if you are looking to save a few bucks. http://www.proaudioreview.com/may01/PEAVEY-RSM-4062-web.shtml

Otherwise, Peavey just came out with a nice 16 channel rackmount model that looks pretty decent. Not sure if it is made in the US like the RSM was, if that matters. I have a Soundcraft M12 and couldn't be happier with it.

• Members
Originally posted by wjking

bonehead mentioned the M12. After some research, it seems to be a good unit with 12 mono and 4 stereo channels. How does it fit into this lineup?

Fewer features. No built-in effects. 100 mm FADERS, Though. Seems to be very well constructed.

• Members

bonehead mentioned the M12. After some research, it seems to be a good unit with 12 mono and 4 stereo channels. How does it fit into this lineup?

different animal, i guess we should qualify your needs.......what are you doing with this puppy?

• Members

Sorry, I should've clarified from the beginning. It's in a youth room in church. We currently have a Behringer that is losing channels slowly but steadily. I want something that has a little more room for our band to grow, can handle a few stereo inserts for cd's and video. Built in FX are not necessary, but a bonus. The biggest issue is value. We can't buy the stuff new so I'd like to get the best deal on good equipment. If I can get a soundraft for $300 used vs. A&H for $500 and not be sacrificing a lot, that would be great. I want to buy once and not regret the decision.

• Members

I don't know the answer, but will pose the question. I know the A&H is a modular construction that is fairly convenient to service. I understand some of the Soundcrafts are "everything on one board" construction which can be more costly and difficult to service should there be a need. Not sure if it applies to the Spirit 16.

Buying used, this may be a significant distinction. Anyone care to comment?

• Members

Sorry, I should've clarified from the beginning. It's in a youth room in church. We currently have a Behringer that is losing channels slowly but steadily. I want something that has a little more room for our band to grow, can handle a few stereo inserts for cd's and video. Built in FX are not necessary, but a bonus. The biggest issue is value. We can't buy the stuff new so I'd like to get the best deal on good equipment. If I can get a soundraft for $300 used vs. A&H for $500 and not be sacrificing a lot, that would be great. I want to buy once and not regret the decision.

for that....... either will be absolutly fine

• Members

Well I own E12 s and I love it, it's a basic mixer, there's no built in FX only two FX sends and 2 monitor sends, also has 2 stereo channels which I use one stereo channel as my FX returns ,since there's no dedicated FX return. . Its a great mixer for the price more musical EQ section then the Peavey RQ mixer I had . I agree that the A&H mixer is probably more superior mixer but heck! it's hard to beat the E12 with it's small price tag. BTW I've linked 2 of these together in my home studio hope this helps and good luck on your decision.

• Members

To make my life easier I got the A&H PA CP powered mixer and replaced the mixwiz and a rack full of gear. A have used for almost 200 gigs over 2 years and have had 0 problems and it sounds great. One of the few pieces of equipment I would be willing to endorse publicly. Along with the EV sx250 speakers. Haven't tried soundcraft but this blows away a Mackie 808 with features and sound. Power amp is better than you would think you would find on a powered board. If you are not gigging alot and $ is an issue get a Soundcraft, Peavy, or Yamaha, which are decent bang for the buck but remember the better you sound the more gigs you get and more money you make so something that will give you quality is an investment. And a good board and speakers, and mics is the foundation of your sound. And of course a great band wouldn't hurt.

• Members

some of the Soundcraft power supplies are dedicated, bulky things with wimpy cords. This seems to be in one place so it may not matter. I still have a Spirit mixer as a backup. It sounds good and has been beat to death. The knobs and such are a little plasticy and the power supply is scary.

look into the Peavey, they take abuse quite well and have good sound quality. Dare I say it, but the Mackie mixers with the built in EQ work just fine. in a church youth room I'd get something fairly simple and as reliable as possible.

• Members

Originally posted by guitar7171

To make my life easier I got the A&H PA CP powered mixer and replaced the mixwiz and a rack full of gear. A have used for almost 200 gigs over 2 years and have had 0 problems and it sounds great. One of the few pieces of equipment I would be willing to endorse publicly. Along with the EV sx250 speakers. Haven't tried soundcraft but this blows away a Mackie 808 with features and sound. Power amp is better than you would think you would find on a powered board. If you are not gigging alot and $ is an issue get a Soundcraft, Peavy, or Yamaha, which are decent bang for the buck but remember the better you sound the more gigs you get and more money you make so something that will give you quality is an investment. And a good board and speakers, and mics is the foundation of your sound. And of course a great band wouldn't hurt.

You don't say I know killer blues band running through a {censored}ty ass PA system but their talent is what attracted the crowd coz their freaking awesome so I have to disagree on part of your post sorry to bust your balls on it but some times talent can overwelhm a crowd better then a killer sytem.

• Members

Originally posted by twostone

You don't say I know killer blues band running through a {censored}ty ass PA system but their talent is what attracted the crowd coz their freaking awesome so I have to disagree on part of your post sorry to bust your balls on it but some times talent can overwelhm a crowd better then a killer sytem.

Sorry to bust YOUR chops, but I'd like to make sense of that post. Any chance you could use some punctuation there please?

AS

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

Sorry to bust YOUR chops, but I'd like to make sense of that post. Any chance you could use some punctuation there please?

AS

ashivraj -

I think what twostone was trying to say is that a killer band CAN overcome a shitty PA...

I happen to disagree w/twostone - people don't always notice killer talent but they will definitely notice a bad-sounding PA! :rolleyes:

Archived