Signal to Noise Ratio:

MIC 1,2,3,4 ........................................................60 dB

AUX.................................................................70 dB

EQ Output Level:

Input Overload at EQ OUT, 1.5% THD or clipping point:

MIC 1,2,3,4 (XLR Jack).............................................170 mV

MIC 1,2,3,4 (PHONE Jack)...........................................300 mV

Guest Anonymous

My impression is that the "amp" is an industrial paging system piece of equipment.

So... do you now own a medium sized K-Mart franchise store you're fixin to use it in?

• Members
Originally posted by daklander

Please give me your thoughts.....

Input Sensitivity at rated power:

MIC 1,2,3,4 (PHONE Jack)...........................................1.0 mV

Thats utter crap! Everyone knows that only amps with an input sensitivity on the PHONE jack of 1.5mV and higher are good enough for use in a situation :mad: :mad: :mad:

Take it back to the shop and tell them you want to buy one with the refillable ink cartridges!

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

My impression is that the "amp" is an industrial paging system piece of equipment.

So... do you now own a medium sized K-Mart franchise store you're fixin to use it in?

Originally posted by agedhorse

Not state of the art, but may be suitable for it's intended application. Paging, BGM, etc?

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, you are both on the track. The listed specs are from an old public address amp that's probably over 25 years old and are very similar to an old Shure SR105B power amp I also have laying around though the Shure is double the output.

Toys? Junk?

Not at that time, quite decent specs and decent gear for the time, IMHO.

• Members

Originally posted by bigmike216

Then what are you asking for?

The idea was to get some reasonable thoughts on those particular specifications and would liked to have had some answers that possibly related to using some of that old gear. You know, get a reasonable discussion going. There are a number of folks here who would have been involved in live sound using that type of specification.

Instead of thoughts that related to anything at all I got crap, other than Audiopile and agedhorse, both whom I've come to respect. They both, apparently from that experience, noted the applicable application for the mentioned amp.

I'd have enjoyed reading of some experience in using that type of gear in those days, particularly since I never got into that kind of gear. Though I played in bars I never had to sweat the sound system, just walk on with my guitar and go. The only other involvement was in building some small electronic gear and an amp or two from Lafayette Electronics, for those few here who remember that far back.

The responses certainly give a strong clue as to whom I would do business with if and when I need real help or decide to purchase higher end gear.

• Members

Thanks for the thoughtful responses, you are both on the track. The listed specs are from an old public address amp that's probably over 25 years old and are very similar to an old Shure SR105B power amp I also have laying around though the Shure is double the output.

Toys? Junk?

Not at that time, quite decent specs and decent gear for the time, IMHO.

I was already a DJ for 10 years....25 years ago. I had been building bass reflex PA speakers and horn loaded subs, mostly W-Bins and E-Horns back then for 5 years, from the Celestion Speaker Hand Book and JBL and EV plans.

The only crap with signal to noise ratios as piss poor as 60 or 70 db was off shore junk mixers, like Pyramid.

The Numark, or Rane, or Citronic mixers were in the order of 85-90 db signal to noise ratio. I still have one of my Yamaha 2201 amps at 200 rms into 8 per channel....bought in 1983. It works perfectly after hundreds of shows, although one of my kids uses it now.

I had Quad ELS-63 Doublet Electrostatics for home stereo back then and ESS Hiel Air Transformer AMT-1B's in my bedroom. That stuff is still serious gear. Go Price Quads now.

60db???? You could hear the speakers hissing at twenty feet. Those were never decent specs.....not even in the 50's.

That unit is not only a toy, it was junk then and it is junk now!!

I was there back then....when the JBL Cabaret Series were it!

When I used replace E-140's with Guass 4581's or 4583's in those boxes.

My own humble opinion comes from real world experience back in the day.

• Members

Please give me your thoughts.....

Output Power at THD 2%, 4 ohm load 1 kHz:.................................100W

Input Impedance:

MIC 1,2,3,4 (XLR Jack)...........................................1.5 kohm

MIC 1,2,3,4 (PHONE Jack)..........................................33 kohm

AUX...............................................................50 kohm

Input Sensitivity at rated power:

MIC 1,2,3,4 (XLR Jack).............................................0.5 mV

MIC 1,2,3,4 (PHONE Jack)...........................................1.0 mV

AUX................................................................150 mV

Frequency Response at 1W, 4 ohm load: (30-20kHz).........................+-2dB

Signal to Noise Ratio:

MIC 1,2,3,4 ........................................................60 dB

AUX.................................................................70 dB

EQ Output Level:

Input Overload at EQ OUT, 1.5% THD or clipping point:

MIC 1,2,3,4 (XLR Jack).............................................170 mV

MIC 1,2,3,4 (PHONE Jack)...........................................300 mV

Veeeeeeerrrry niiiiiiiice.

Not exactly sure of what part of the above you wanted opinions of.

Johnny:D

• Members
Originally posted by Harmonycat

I.......

My own humble opinion comes from real world experience back in the day.

Not so humble, as a matter of record. ;)

A dj 25 years ago? Wooeee! a couple of record players and some Beachboys albums with maybe a Gladys Knight and an Otis Redding thrown if for kicks, oh and a hair band for "new" stuff. Yeah, that's the ticket. :rolleyes:

I really don't care what you had in your living room, or your bedroom as hi-fi gear.
The subject matter has nothing at all to do with hi-fi gear, good or bad.

As a matter in reality, the Quads are very much open to debate as to their functional use, even in the hi-fi arena for anything other than classical music, so.....
Let's bring them down here and I'll plug my bass amp outs into that {censored}ty amp and power up the quads. See how long it takes before they give up the ghost with that puny power and horrid signal to noise ratio.

Building your own speaker enclosures? Now, that I like. Kudos to you for that.

I'm not much with wood. I'll cut it twice and it's still too short. ;)

I know the specs I posted aren't the all that great. That wan't the premise of the thread.
Since you've slammed it so bad, what have you used, and for what, that is similar in specs?
No, don't go searching the net for something similar.
If you haven't used it, you can propose that it's junk, based on your understanding of the specs, but you can't really say because you don't really know.
Kinda like if I tried to say something about the Yamaha 2201. I've never used one so I can't comment, regardless of the written specifications, because I've never used one.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Lafayette... I remember them. Had a store in Torrance in the 70's.

My step-dad is who started me in on some bit of building what little electronic stuff I built way back then. He used to build all his own ham radio gear and nearly all of the parts came from Lafayette.

• Members

Not so humble, as a matter of record.
;)

A dj 25 years ago? Wooeee! a couple of record players and some Beachboys albums with maybe a Gladys Knight and an Otis Redding thrown if for kicks, oh and a hair band for "new" stuff. Yeah, that's the ticket.
:rolleyes:

I really don't care what you had in your living room, or your bedroom as hi-fi gear.

The subject matter has nothing at all to do with hi-fi gear, good or bad.

As a matter in reality, the Quads are very much open to debate as to their functional use, even in the hi-fi arena for anything other than classical music, so.....

Let's bring them down here and I'll plug my bass amp outs into that {censored}ty amp and power up the quads. See how long it takes before they give up the ghost with that puny power and horrid signal to noise ratio.

Building your own speaker enclosures? Now, that I like. Kudos to you for that.

I'm not much with wood. I'll cut it twice and it's still too short.
;)

I know the specs I posted aren't the all that great. That wan't the premise of the thread.

Since you've slammed it so bad, what have you used, and for what, that is similar in specs?

No, don't go searching the net for something similar.

If you haven't used it, you can propose that it's junk, based on your understanding of the specs, but you can't really say because you don't really know.

Kinda like if I tried to say something about the Yamaha 2201. I've never used one so I can't comment, regardless of the written specifications, because I've never used one.

All the cheap offshore junk back then was 60-70 db signal to noise ratio.....I don't need to search the internet, I heard and tested plenty of it back then. There is just a wall of hissing going on behind the music with numbers that bad.....If you had ever used any of it you would know that.

Your blunt and scathing afront to my experience shows a defensive view only harboured by someone who really doesn't know anything, and is fumbling for credibility.

I have real world experience with equipment that you will never have any knowledge of.....you can't comment because you have never heard enough to know what those specifications mean to the human ear.

Blow your nose, dry your eyes, and go to bed!

You wouldn't know a woofer from a wonton....let alone have any comprehension of the specificatiions that define it's sonic characteristics.

You and your vague references to something that you think is decent in your humble opinion....Buddy if you think 60 db signal to noise ratio is a decent specification, then you are deaf as well as intellectually challenged.

Go back to building ham radio equipment with your Daddy and stop being presumptuous in a field that you know nothing about.

You know as much about Electrostatic speakers as you would know about an old Yamaha power amp. Which is nothing!

I have built and repaired those too.....A good ear is trained by using accurate reference equipment.....which is not "Table 7, your Pizza is ready".

Your thread had no premise.....it was just lame from the outset!

"Bring them down here....and power them up"......
You've really worked hard to become the asshole that you are...or maybe, you were just born that way.

You asked for my thoughts and I gave them in consideration of that fact that this forum is about Live Sound Reproduction, not "Clean up on Aisle 5".

In this forum that stuff has no relevant purpose....and as such it is a waste of everybody's time.

• Members

The idea was to get some reasonable thoughts on those particular specifications and would liked to have had some answers that possibly related to using some of that old gear. You know, get a reasonable discussion going. There are a number of folks here who would have been involved in live sound using that type of specification.

Instead of thoughts that related to anything at all I got crap, other than Audiopile and agedhorse, both whom I've come to respect. They both, apparently from that experience, noted the applicable application for the mentioned amp.

I'd have enjoyed reading of some experience in using that type of gear in those days, particularly since I never got into that kind of gear. Though I played in bars I never had to sweat the sound system, just walk on with my guitar and go. The only other involvement was in building some small electronic gear and an amp or two from Lafayette Electronics, for those few here who remember that far back.

The responses certainly give a strong clue as to whom I would do business with if and when I need real help or decide to purchase higher end gear.

Not to be a dick or anything, but all your original post said was "Please give me your thoughts". You don't say what kind, brand, or age the amp is or what you'd like to use the amp for. Typically in this forum when someone posts specs on equipment & asks for opinions that means they're considering buying the item. With all the advances in amplifier design & manufacturing, a 25 year old amp with 25 year old specs shouldn't look all that impressive compared to what's out today, and there are many people that will sell crap to anyone they think is foolish enough to buy it. You seem to take offense that some people would blast the old gear, but then you go on to blast someone else for their old experience using old gear..."A dj 25 years ago? Wooeee! a couple of record players and some Beachboys albums with maybe a Gladys Knight and an Otis Redding thrown if for kicks, oh and a hair band for "new" stuff. Yeah, that's the ticket. "

If your original post had said something like 'I have an old amp with these specs, think it would be any good for..." you would probably have gotten more constructive responses. If the specs were for a new amp you were considering, the warning you received that it was 'crap' seemed more like a "buyer beware" warning.

• Members
Originally posted by Harmonycat

Panties in a bunch, eh?
You've resorted to name calling and personal attacks. Must have hurt your feelings.

I wish I could build ham equipment with my "Daddy", unfortunately he's passed on. You're so very kind to bring it up.

I don't need credibility in this field and not looking for it.
I am not a "pro". Nor do I presume to be, I'm just some nobody who is trying to get some valid information from people who purport to be "pros". Seems the "pros" are the ones who have the class to make their point of view with civility, the same general concensus on that gear by the way, only written in a reasonable way, and with a clue as to what that piece of gear was used for.

I also know my limitations as well as my assets.
I do know the specs aren't that good and stated such. You'd have seen that had you really read all the words in my post.
M a y b e I s h o u l d h a v e t y p e d s l o w e r.
S o r r y. :o

You are the one that brought up audiophile equipment and DJ experience.
As to my take on the Quads, I'm sure I can find verification of my viewpoint that they work best for classical music. I didn't slam them in any way, just wrote my opinion of them. Do I know everything about them? Not at all, nor do you. I did give you kudos for building loudspeakers. That's great. I've also built some. Do I understand all the physics? Not at all. I used the expertise of other's, using their computations and plans. Great by no means, but functional for their intended application. Looked like {censored} though.
Fidelity in DJing? All the DJ gigs I've ever heard are, "boost the bottom and crank the volume to 11". No? Maybe you're different in that regard. If so, again, kudos to you. You'd be one in a million.

Your initial response could well have been a bit more civil. You set the tone.

This is an ancient kids toy from the 60's.....

or.....a POS.....

What a hunk of Junk.

Do you get my drift?

Yeah, I got your drift.
Between the two of us, why, we know everything in the world about live sound re-inforcement. You know everything except...

• Members

Originally posted by Never_Grew_Up

Not to be a dick or anything, but all your original post said was "Please give me your thoughts". You don't say what kind, brand, or age the amp is or what you'd like to use the amp for. Typically in this forum when someone posts specs on equipment & asks for opinions that means they're considering buying the item. With all the advances in amplifier design & manufacturing, a 25 year old amp with 25 year old specs shouldn't look all that impressive compared to what's out today, and there are many people that will sell crap to anyone they think is foolish enough to buy it. You seem to take offense that some people would blast the old gear, but then you go on to blast someone else for their old experience using old gear..."A dj 25 years ago? Wooeee! a couple of record players and some Beachboys albums with maybe a Gladys Knight and an Otis Redding thrown if for kicks, oh and a hair band for "new" stuff. Yeah, that's the ticket. "

If your original post had said something like 'I have an old amp with these specs, think it would be any good for..." you would probably have gotten more constructive responses. If the specs were for a new amp you were considering, the warning you received that it was 'crap' seemed more like a "buyer beware" warning.

Thanks for your input. I'll take it into consideration next time I have a question. Maybe I should have been a bit more forthcoming in my initial post, about what the intended use was but there really isn't a concern there. I know what it was intended for as well as what I use it for. I was hoping for more responses like Audiopile and agedhorse gave, only with some stories.

I use it to loan out to people who need a public address for some small function where they need speech amplification, end of season soccer parties & so on, or if one of my kids, or their friends want to do something. I also often carry it along in case my powered mixer goes belly up at a gig.

Oh, I think I paid all of fifteen bucks for it ten years or more ago.

• Members

Fidelity in DJing? All the DJ gigs I've ever heard are, "boost the bottom and crank the volume to 11". No? Maybe you're different in that regard. If so, again, kudos to you. You'd be one in a million.

Now, that's not very nice... :cry: There are some nice DJs who like things to sound good and own decent equipment, and post on this forum you know... Cheer up. I don't think people were trying to insult you by writing what they thought about the particular piece of equipment (with the not so great specs) you listed.... Best wishes anyway, and a Merry Christmas! Al Poulin - Party-Time! DJ Services

Archived