Allen & Heath Gl 2200 vs Midas Venice?

• Members

Well our house console is out for repair ( allen and heath gl 2200 ) it had a hanful of bad faders that needed to be repaired.

First we got a rental Mackie 24 4 bus ...... booooo to this board, i can't believe how dissapointed i was at the eq's and pre's on this board. On top of that i really didn't dig the lay out at all.

So the boss rented me a Midas Venice 32 channell.... all i can say is thankgod. The eq's are excellent, the pre's are excellent and it is has a very easy and quick layout. I am very impressed with this console.

I do have to say though that the Allen and Heath really is a great board to, ( when the {censored}ing faders actually work!)

that is all !:wave::thu:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well what do you expect. You just ranked the consoles in order of cost as well as quality, who would have thought that the two would have a correlation?

But that being said, the venice is priced slightly too high for what it does in my opinion. maybe has a 10% edge over the A&H, i think they want over 100% more?

• Members

Well what do you expect. You just ranked the consoles in order of cost as well as quality, who would have thought that the two would have a correlation?

But that being said, the venice is priced slightly too high for what it does in my opinion. maybe has a 10% edge over the A&H, i think they want over 100% more?

naa i definatly agree. didn't mean to come off like i was expecting the same quality from each console :p just saying.... and i agree the midas is probably about 10- 15% better eq and pre wise then the a&h and def alot more money.... butttt :love:

• Members

if you can get the cash out of somewhere go for it man. just saying if it was out of my pocket no way id touch it, if it was out of someone elses i might be tempted.

oh and side note: i think (at least the

yea i mean it's just a rental, we'll have the A&H back soon...we got the a&h used so who knows what was thrown at it before it got to us... and luckily in jersey there is no smoke at all in our club!:D (thankgod)

• Members

yea i mean it's just a rental, we'll have the A&H back soon...we got the a&h used so who knows what was thrown at it before it got to us... and luckily in jersey there is no smoke at all in our club!
:D
(thankgod)

If the faders are worn or contaminated you can replace them quite easily on the A&H. Does not cost too much. May be worth doing if you are having continuing problems. Contact A&H tech support for more details.

Regards,

Carey (A&H)

• Members

my thoughts exactly, .. the midis has maybe a hair better sound to it, but most people would never knwo, in fact I don't think I would be able to tell teh differance in a live situtaiton myself. - at this level the issue for me is more about festures avalible to me. the cost is very much higher.

I would go A+H

• Members

I recently sold my Venice 320. A/B'd 'em with our AH GL2400. There is a noticable difference. Venice flat out sounds better. AH, however, is way more flexible and FOR THE MONEY is IMO, the best full featured desk on the market. In the end, there sonically wasn't enough glue there to make it make sense for our little bar gig.

• Members

yea i mean it's just a rental, we'll have the A&H back soon...we got the a&h used so who knows what was thrown at it before it got to us... and luckily in jersey there is no smoke at all in our club!
:D
(thankgod)

I don't think I have ever been in a club that was no smoking !!

• Members

In Ontario, there is no smoking at all in any public place - bars, bingos etc.... People who want to smoke must go outside and must be a certain amount of feet away from the building. This is excellent for me as I recall always coming home with painful headaches (due to allergies) after almost all gigs up until this became law. Now the only headaches are the people at the actual gigs. :D ''You have to play my song, and you have to play it next. I know the bride!'' :rolleyes: Al

• Members

How can you be soo sure the mic pre's are better... is it possible thatthere are other things you may be hearing as well? Maybe you are hearing the difference in the brand name?

I understand what you mean... I know the house sytem pretty well. Been mixing on it since april 1st (when we opened up) ... everything seems to have a touch more clarity and fullness. Especially the bottom end. . . And the eq's are def more responsive to me...i def can hear a slight difference.... but for the money the A&H def does sound awsome ! :thu:

basically what i'm saying is that the A&H wins, but it's nice to mix on a midas for a little...its def a really nice console!

• Members

Yes, but maybe it's the output line drivers or summing bus or makeup gain amps on the A&H that improve the sound. What I am getting at is the it is impossible to say without doing a whole lot of R&D work that it's due to the mic pres. I know that mic pre's are heavily advertised and cherished little "mystery boxes", but usually it's more of a "warm and fuzzy" feeling sort of thing rather than measureable or defineable fact.

• Members

Yes, but maybe it's the output line drivers or summing bus or makeup gain amps on the A&H that improve the sound. What I am getting at is the it is impossible to say without doing a whole lot of R&D work that it's due to the mic pres. I know that mic pre's are heavily advertised and cherished little "mystery boxes", but usually it's more of a "warm and fuzzy" feeling sort of thing rather than measureable or defineable fact.

ya know what can i say.... you!.... you !!.... your good!!! :p:D naa Definatly... your right, but i def can notice a little something that i definatly DO like about the overall sound of the :D venice....

• Members

I think you are mis-understanding my comments...

Yes, and all of those stages are present in both consoles... but as a complete console goes, there's no way to assign the reason for the perceived difference to any one stage within either console. The difference could be that the Venice has a killer summing amp but the "identical" mic pre. That may make the difference too. No way to tell exactly what stage though.

• Members

I think you are mis-understanding my comments...

Yes, and all of those stages are present in both consoles... but as a complete console goes, there's no way to assign the reason for the perceived difference to any one stage within either console. The difference could be that the Venice has a killer summing amp but the "identical" mic pre. That may make the difference too. No way to tell exactly what stage though.

Amen!

It's certainly OK to say you like one console better than another, and to say that you like how the EQ affects the sound. But beyond that is guessing - or being trendy. Maybe next year everybody will be raving about output drivers?

• Members

I was seriously considering the Venice but wound up springing for the GL2200, it is more flexible for the money and the slight edge that the Venice preamps has over the A&H wasn't enough to justify the extra cost. I also wasn't happy that a serious board like the Venice had 60mm faders.

• CMS Author

Amen!

It's certainly OK to say you like one console better than another, and to say that you like how the EQ affects the sound. But beyond that is guessing - or being trendy. Maybe next year everybody will be raving about output drivers?

If Neve, Focusrite or Pacifica come out with one, you can be sure of it:D

• Members

No comparison the midas is a far better desk, design wise and componant wise....the original midas desks used wire wound pots and penny and giles faders, but you just cant beat the 5 band parametric eq it rocks, using a midas is like driving a ferari compared to a VW .

• Members

No comparison the midas is a far better desk, design wise and componant wise....the original midas desks used wire wound pots and penny and giles faders, but you just cant beat the 5 band parametric eq it rocks, using a midas is like driving a ferari compared to a VW .

Pff your comments lack fact. The midas venice has a 4 band eq of which 2 bands are sweepable. The A&H GL2400 has the same eq as well. The venice has 60 mm ALPS faders, not P&G. The A&H has longer faders which is obviously a plus.

The venice sounds slightly better but feature wise the GL2400 is better. The venice is certainly not worth the price. Stop being stupid.

• Members

I have both Midas Venice and GL2200. The Midas sounds good but I've never swapped them out back to back, no time to try such an experiemnt when I'm on a gig, I simply use one. The A&H also sounds good. 4 sends on the Venice. No phase flips. It's heavier. Both will do the job. I take the 2200 when I have a midsize gig because inside an Anvil case it fits perfectly inside a Honda Element.

Archived