Speaker Power Handling question (multiple speakers in 1 cab)

• Members

Just be sure you understand the manufacturer's definition of peak. MOST are pretty optimistic.

What driver is it? The cabinet type and bandwidth will also affect the power handling.

The 6 speakers are all Polk Audio db525s:

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/db525/

Electrical

Overall Frequency Response 60Hz-22Khz

Nominal Impedance 4 ohms

Power Handling (continuous) 45 w

Power Handling (peak) 135 w

Efficiency 93 dB

This is the cabinet:

http://electrotap.com/hemisphere/

• Members

Electrical

Nominal Impedance 4 ohms

Efficiency 93 dB

This is the cabinet:

Six 4 ohm car speakers? You aren't using these for pro sound are you?

• Members

Just be sure you understand the manufacturer's definition of peak. MOST are pretty optimistic.

What driver is it? The cabinet type and bandwidth will also affect the power handling.

Ok, how about continous power handling. With the given speaker specs, is it reasonable to calculate total power handling (continuous, not peak) by adding the wattage of the speakers together?

This would apply to all speakers, regardless of application, right?

That's the info I'm trying to gather. Thanks!

• Members

Ok, how about continous power handling. With the given speaker specs, is it reasonable to calculate total power handling (continuous, not peak) by adding the wattage of the speakers together?

This would apply to all speakers, regardless of application, right?

That's the info I'm trying to gather. Thanks!

Is this a trick question? You stated the continuous power of the speakers. Just multiply it by the number being used.:freak:

• Members

Is this a trick question? You stated the continuous power of the speakers. Just multiply it by the number being used.
:freak:

Nope, not a trick question. Your previous answer was about peak power handling, so my followup question was about continuous power handling.

I asked because I honestly didn't know and wasn't sure if continous power handling had to be calculated differently.

Thanks!

• Members

Nope, not a trick question. Your previous answer was about peak power handling, so my followup question was about continuous power handling.

I asked because I honestly didn't know and wasn't sure if continous power handling had to be calculated differently.

Thanks!

Here you go dude.

Peak = 4 x RMS = 800

Continuous Program Power = 2 X RMS = 400

RMS = 200

Add whatever wattage you like where I started from 200 and start multiplying. Just remember once you go beyond Continuous Program Power, you are more likely to kill your speakers. Only those that know what they are doing venture outside Continuous Program Power.

PS I know RMS is not the right term, but it's the most used. And, I'm going to bed. :D

• Members

Yes you will add up the respective power. I would power them with an amp rated at no more than the "continuous" rating... that would be an amp that delivers 45 watts into a 4 ohm load, or if 2 are paralleled that would be 90 watts into a 2 ohm load.

You will probably need to arrive at a higher impedance by a combination of series and parallel connection to limit the power to those little guys.

• Members

Electrical

Nominal Impedance 4 ohms

Efficiency 93 dB

This is the cabinet:

Sounds like the same nonsense Bose spewed years ago. Didn't work very well for them either.

Archived