Guitar Center salesman poweramp lies! Help me Agedhorse

• CMS Author

Good thing I didnt get the Behringer...

I am looking into the Crown, QSC, Peavy, and Yamaha

QSC seems to have the same look and features as the Behringer though?

Behringer must have copied QSC?

I like the Yamaha but it dosent have the crossover like the QSC?

QSC doesn't have a crossover in the RMX amps. But you really should get a crossover instead of relying on the amp to provide this function.

A QSC RMX series is a great value. QSC has excellent customer support, a really good warranty (6 years) that you'll likely never make use of.

• Members

Good thing I didnt get the Behringer...

If you don't mind the weight of a traditional amplifier, you could look at used.

Crown Microtech(technically more for installs, as the controls are on the back)

Crown Macrotech(front panel controls for touring/portable systems)

QSC MX

BGW made some very decent amps, but I'm not sure how much service and parts are available anymore.

For lightweight amplifiers used, you could look at:

QSC Powerlight

QSC PLX(the first series of PLX, which are now discontinued)

New:

Crown XTi

QSC PLX2

QSC RMX

There are more, but Crown and QSC are two of the best and largest amplifier manufacturers in the market, and generally there is a lot of used product out there from them.

Best regards,

John

• Members

The new QSC GX amps have a crossover in them and are also class H so they are much lighter. Also cheaper than the RMX. Problem is they seem to have removed the limiters (although there is something called "guardrail", but it doesn't sound nearly as good as a proper limiter would be). They also removed the variable High Pass filter of the RMX.

• Members

So back to the orginal question so we can help you with amp selection:

What Peavey subs are you running?

What is the 1000 watts? RMS, Program or Peak?

PEAVEY 18" BW in shop built cabs

I belive it must be 1,000 watts peak

I bought them used.....so said the seller.

• Members

The new QSC GX amps have a crossover in them and are also class H so they are much lighter. Also cheaper than the RMX. Problem is they seem to have removed the limiters (although there is something called "guardrail", but it doesn't sound nearly as good as a proper limiter would be). They also removed the variable High Pass filter of the RMX.

Only the GX5 is Class H. The GX3 is a Class B. The "guardrail" is "soft limiting" through reducing gain.

I'm look forward to a review of these amps.

• Members

PEAVEY 18" BW in shop built cabs

If the cabinets aren't tuned properly they won't handle as much power as their rating. Drivers that aren't loaded properly will just flap and tear themselves apart. Think about buying a tire but not getting it balanced.

• Members

The Behringer amps are made by QSC.

oldman2

Bull{censored}. You got some bad information. When you come here presenting something as fact, you should be sure of your information. (not picking on you, but addressing this aspect of forums in general so don't take it personally ok)

Behringer was "inspired" by QSC's product (like they are inspired bu almost anything commercially successful) and though it looks like an RMX on the outside, it's a different amp and of poorer quality than the QSC product it pretends to imitate.

• Members

I just want to add in my expierences with my band's Behringer EP2500. We use it to run 2 JBL 15" mains on one channel (@4ohms total load) and 4 12" monitors on the other channel (2 ohm total load)

I know that subs typically work a poweramp harder than mains/monitors, but we have had NO PROBLEMS with our amp. Its been plenty loud for 300 or so people and I 've dropped it out of the back of my SUV before and it still works great. (Edit: we've been gigging with it in this configuration now for 2 years, including 2 small tours so that's 30-40 3 hour shows easy)

-just for note we use a powered sub to handle the lowend, so that may help too.

Just trying to let some of you know that these amps do work for some of us.

• Members

Good thing I didn't get the Behringer...

WHAT!!!!! Behringer copied someone else's design? NO WAY....

Just kidding. That is Behringer's business plan. Find good items that sell and then create an eerily similar looking item with much cheaper parts and sell it to unknowing people. Behringer attracts a lot of people because of the pricing but very few of those purchasers make future Behringer purchases.

Stick with QSC, Crown, Yamaha or Peavey. Well made products that offer decent, reliable power.

• Members

O.K. I have narrowed this down to Crown, Yamaha, or Peavey

I recently saw a good deal on a "Reconditioned" Crown amp....(1/2 price):love:

Any reason I should go with Yamaha or peavey???

Why would they be better than Crown?

• Members

O.K. I have narrowed this down to Crown, Yamaha, or Peavey

I recently saw a good deal on a "Reconditioned" Crown amp....(1/2 price)
:love:
Any reason I should go with Yamaha or peavey???

Why would they be better than Crown?

Which Crown amp model crown made some POS amps but also made some killer amps depends on which model your wanting to buy peavey is a great amp I have a Buddie that owns the old boat anchor CS model that's 20 yrs and still works flawlessly. IMO I would opt for a QSC probably the most suggested amp on this forum why because their bullet proof well Okay almost bullet proof.

• Members

Which Crown amp model crown made some POS amps but also made some killer amps depends on which model your wanting to buy peavey is a great amp I have a Buddie that owns the old boat anchor CS model that's 20 yrs and still works flawlessly. IMO I would opt for a QSC probably the most suggested amp on this forum why because their bullet proof well Okay almost bullet proof.

To answer about the crown amp its a "Xs 900"....is that any good?

Archived