Hey Sound Guys... guitar question!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • CMS Author

Like I said, I won't do it again. Talking to people on here has given me more insight into the frustration that is being a sound man. This is just one more reason I will run my own sound if at all possible.

Finding a good sound person is no easier than finding a good musician, and you hold on to both when you find them!

Running your own sound from stage is the least attractive option...it's a real distraction from doing what the audience is expecting...a show, and it's impossible to know how you sound to the audience. Try a sound guy, and ask your audience, preferably people you don't know, for opinions. If it sounds good to the average person, it's good enough to keep him. You can always work from there.

• Members

I won't test it. It takes levels of professionalism on both sides to make things work. This wasn't a contracted, rider performance though. It was a bar show to 100 people. I'd rather make the mistakes I'm going to make there instead of where the sound guy can actually decide that, or do some real damage.

• Members

I won't test it. It takes levels of professionalism on both sides to make things work. This wasn't a contracted, rider performance though. It was a bar show to 100 people. I'd rather make the mistakes I'm going to make there instead of where the sound guy can actually decide that, or do some real damage.

Absolutely! Everybody has to learn how things work, better in a smaller situation than one where expectations are higher.

• Members

Running from the stage is just the most viable option for now. Not hiring the sound guy is realistically, in my situation, the most costly way to go. Paying a sound guy what we are getting paid to do the show isn't worth it. For the most part, in the bar band/weekend warrior gig thing, I don't think it pays to even mic anything other than vocals/acoustic guitar/keys, and maybe a little kick drum. Fighting the more me in that situation is more hassle than its worth. If I get to the point for having more than 100 people in a bar then we will look at hiring the sound.

Archived