JBL JRX vs Yamaha Club vs ??

• Members

Well, let me throw my two cents in on the Yamaha vs JBL comparison. First, let me say I have used both. It is true, IMO, that the Yamahas have more bass reponse. However, if you're gonna run subs, the difference is negated as the low end will be produced by the subs. I currently use a pair of JBL JRX125 and they sound great, especially on vocals. They produce a warm, transparent midrange that's pleasing to the ear. Some midrange speakers sound like cardboard. There a couple of drawbacks to the JBL's, but they are not sound related. First, they're kinda heavy..especially if you have to hoist them onto a sub by yourself. Secondly, and this was a surprise to me, JBL did not provide protective corners for the cabinets. I solved that problem by contacting Parts Express and ordered (4) sets of trapezoid type corners. They fit perfect, and they have saved the corners of my cabinets many times. As far as sonic quality, it's JBL...albeit not as good as top of the line JBL. The passive crossover is set @2K, I believe...which is workable. All in all, for the money, I'm happy with them, and that pretty orange JBL plate on the front of the speaker cabinet sure gets a lot of nods of approval from musicians out in the audience.

While soundmen just shake their heads in disgust.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes yes...we put this thread in the direction of speaker placement and I figured I'd ask one more instead of starting a whole new thread....can you guys answer this one:......remember the whole premise what that some places we play have really goofy set ups...people on sides of stage, etc. Thanks.

What about this one someone just told me about today? Point the speakers 20 degrees or so....toward each other....so basically each speakers points toward the middle....they end up crossing each other...and that is how you get the noise to the outside....make any sense? Seems to me like you wouldn't want to cross the soundwaves like that...but what the hell do I know...(it's why I'm asking u gusy!! )

• Members

use outfills to get sound to the sides of the stage.

as far as pointing the speaker towards each other, it depends. when i run (2)60 degree tops per side the inner ones are aimed toward each other for sure, so what? even more if you use (3) per side. with 90 degree boxes i usually do not point them towards each other unless i need to, example if they are reflecting off the side walls too much etc OR if there ends up being a dead spot close to the stage and i have no better way of dealing with it; doesnt hurt anything - the soundwaves will "cross" however you put the speakers up to some degree.

are you familiar with 'fills'? this is what they do- they put sound where the main PA leaves coverage holes; to the sides, right in front, could have a lack of coverage in a balcony etc. even the best rigs use fills, ever see subs on the ground at a line array show with flown subs? often times there will be a need for a few small clusters of sub on the ground.

simple answer is - if you need to put sound in an area point a speaker over to that area. how you assign signal to the speaker depends on the purpose.

i have an event coming up where i will use (4) 90 degree clubs, (2) as a traditional looking SOS and (2) as outfills for the people who sit on the sides of the stage. in this situation the volume is somewhat low so i will just parallel the outfills to the mains, but you could send these outfills their own signal.

i hope this helps rather than further confuses.

• Members

I don't understand why the height of the stage matters either. Either the speaker sounds better or it doesn't. If you don't have speaker stands, that's not the speaker's fault eh?

If you have full range jbl jrx 125 they sound much better in a stage that is 5 feet high rather than if you put them on the floor. Of course the sound is the same from the cabinets but the reception from the audience is different if people are standing up. So my point is that I use the clubs or the jbl depending if the place has a stage, how high is it, and if the audience is sitting down or not. In my case I don

• Members

Yes. The "front" subs pretty much cover 360 degrees so you only need side subs if you need more total sub volume (which you might outside).

yeah, but we don't have any more real subs....and not sure how much real "sub" running typical full ranges is going to add. So maybe just run as crossed over and may be clearer?

Archived