JBL JRX vs Yamaha Club vs ??

• Members

OK guys, looking to upgrade our mains as the starting point to upgrade our entire system(over time). From the research I've done and feedback from you guys..this seems like one of the best places to start. For what we do - size of gigs, number of people, etc we think these mains will be sufficient and in our budget. Looking primarily at the Yamaha Club Series V and JBL JRX, both 15" single. I realize this is entry level JBL. One other wild card - while out listening the other day, the local joint had the JBL M-Pro 215 on clearance because it has been discontinued. I could grab this for 299...the problem/challenge would be finding a mate. So the question is this...

For country music..which is primarily focused on a nice clear sound with emphasis on vocals....(more focos on clarify and nice vocals..then rockin' bass, etc like a club or some rock)..what is your opinion

1. Yamaha Club - seemed more bassy in store

2. JBL JRX

3. JBL MP 215 (is it worth trying to find the mate)

4. Any other recommendations in the $600 - 900 range for pair

Passive Of course. Thanks a Million!!!! I'm curious to get the input.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK guys, looking to upgrade our mains as the starting point to upgrade our entire system(over time). From the research I've done and feedback from you guys..this seems like one of the best places to start. For what we do - size of gigs, number of people, etc we think these mains will be sufficient and in our budget. Looking primarily at the Yamaha Club Series V and JBL JRX, both 15" single. I realize this is entry level JBL. One other wild card - while out listening the other day, the local joint had the JBL M-Pro 215 on clearance because it has been discontinued. I could grab this for 299...the problem/challenge would be finding a mate. So the question is this...

For country music..which is primarily focused on a nice clear sound with emphasis on vocals....(more focos on clarify and nice vocals..then rockin' bass, etc like a club or some rock)..what is your opinion

1. Yamaha Club - seemed more bassy in store

2. JBL JRX

3. JBL MP 215 (is it worth trying to find the mate)

4. Any other recommendations in the $600 - 900 range for pair

Passive Of course. Thanks a Million!!!! I'm curious to get the input.

The Clubs blow the JBL JRX's away. If you have the budget for the JBL MRX, they are much better than either. (Even though the Clubs are great for the price)

• Members

For just a little more cash, you could probably find a pair of the M Pro 415's. They are the better/bigger brother to the 200 series although they look alike. The 400 series has better drivers and has the nice duraflex coating on the cabinet vs the carpet.

The MPro series has been replaced with the MRX series. You might be able to find a pair of the MPros that have been gently used for a song!

If you plan on updating your rig in the future with subwoofers, then, go with a 12" woofer, the MPro 412's. I have the MPro 415's with the 418 subwoofers and this is a great combination.

This will be a very good, solid system that will serve you for many years and is a step up from the JRX/Club V's/Peavey SP series.

Johnny

• Members

For just a little more cash, you could probably find a pair of the M Pro 415's. They are the better/bigger brother to the 200 series although they look alike. The 400 series has better drivers and has the nice duraflex coating on the cabinet vs the carpet.

The MPro series has been replaced with the MRX series. You might be able to find a pair of the MPros that have been gently used for a song!

If you plan on updating your rig in the future with subwoofers, then, go with a 12" woofer, the MPro 412's. I have the MPro 415's with the 418 subwoofers and this is a great combination.

This will be a very good, solid system that will serve you for many years and is a step up from the JRX/Club V's/Peavey SP series.

Johnny

The MPro 200 series is pretty much the same thing as the JRX though.

• Members

hmmm....Thanks. I"ll check out the MP415's, or 412...but they may be out of the budget...we will see. I'll post amp later tonight. Any other recommendations...any good Mackie's in this price range?

Maybe the SRM450 version 1 that Guitar Center and Musicians Friend clearing out for the SRM450V2

• Members

I would disagree w/ the OP in regards to emphasis on bass. I'm in a southern rock cover band and think that the kick drum in every country song is pivotal. I can name an hours worth of music that there is a straight four beat kick drum going with only vocals, so its definitely a big part of the whole song.

We have JRX dual 15's, and haven't had any complaints.. We're lookin at upgrading our subs to some Peavey SP218s. If i were you I would get SP tops and bottoms, maybe SP3s on top of 2 SP218s?

• Members

Musician's Friend has the mackies SRM's as Factory B-STock's...I suppose this is the blowout you are talking about? Of course I'll go give a listen, but is there a widespread opinion that these are superior to the others?

Also, I do agree about bass and the kick drum...it is just for now we have to upgrade slowly so the initial focus is on getting better tops. We'll use our existing bottoms them maybe upgrade them later. agreed, a lot of four on the floor in country and I really want that kick a$$ kick sound...but for now we gotta compromise.

• Members

Musician's Friend has the mackies SRM's as Factory B-STock's...I suppose this is the blowout you are talking about? Of course I'll go give a listen, but is there a widespread opinion that these are superior to the others?

They are better than the JRX, the MPro 400 series is better as well as the Yamaha Club Series, I would not get a dual 15 (I own 2) as they generally sound muddy in the low mids.

• Members

Also, I do agree about bass and the kick drum...it is just for now we have to upgrade slowly so the initial focus is on getting better tops. We'll use our existing bottoms them maybe upgrade them later. agreed, a lot of four on the floor in country and I really want that kick a$$ kick sound...but for now we gotta compromise.

I thought you were looking for passive only?

• Members

I thought you were looking for passive only?

I was/am, but only because we have the amps...and figure the active were way out of the price range. If I could get good stuff in the active, I'd certainly consider....

I went to Guitar Center today and heard the JBL's and Yammie's again..honestly..you'll say I'm crazy but for vocal clarity I tend to lean to the JBL's. I listend to the next level up of JBL, the MX something and they were friggen' unbelievable!!!!!!, although I think out of the budet at over 1200 for the pair.

They had a pair of USED JBL SF15's for sale at $279 each. You guys ever hear of these..any experience?

They were also pushing me on the Harbinger Brand....which i've never heard of..an HX151...any experience/thoughts on these? I don't think I'd go there...but they sounded decent and were cheaper then both of the others.

• Members

I would also steer away from the SRM450's. I've heard them and for whatever reason, I've never heard a plastic enclosure that I liked. They all seemed to have 'that sound' to them. That's just my personal preference.

Stay away from the bottom of the barrel stuff. The other JBL's you mentioned are the older bottom stuff. Never heard of harbinger.

If your budget is

$600-$900 for the pair, I would save and save for a little bit more. Get the MPro's and be done with it. I really like mine (can you tell?).

Johnny

• Members

If your budget is

$600-$900 for the pair, I would save and save for a little bit more. Get the MPro's and be done with it. I really like mine (can you tell?).

Johnny

Yeah, I can tell;) They seem to be difficult to find now though...unless you mean to get the new MX version. What I'm most jealous of is your PSM400 IEM's.....but I digress!!

The MX's were big time. I'm wondering if I should research some used EON's, they seem to be all over the place...

• Members

Mackie M1400i....I think it is a 1K watt jobber...that we use to run the top mains....

We use a QSC GX5 for the bottoms.

The monitors we use a peavey powered mixer.

I'd love to get something active and use the mackie to run the monitors....but again...budget.

You guys ever try to upgrade existing cabs?

• Members

If you go active, check out the PRX series. But, that is WAY out of your price range.

The JBL Eons are a plastic enclosure that I never warmed up to on the sound.

Check out eBay, they may have some B Stock M Pro's. And, there may be others who are going to upgrade to another level of speaker and are selling theirs.

Keep a close eye out and you may be able to find yourself a great bargain!

Johnny

• Members

Save your money till you can afford the MRX's. If you have the subs the 12's work great, but by themselves the 15's do a better job on the bass. Check around and you can find a pair of the MRX 515's for about $1200. You won't be sorry. At 40 lbs a box they rock and your back will love them!

• Members

I have two pair of the Yammie Clubs and, although I have not personally tested them versus every option presented in this thread, they do favor quite comparably to most of them. I run two pair of the S115s, one series IV and one series V. These cabs offer a good clean sound that is hard to beat for the price range, especially if you can find a good set used.

My only beef is that they are heavy.

Archived