Help me pick...

• Members

I have 2 deals pending on a couple used PA systems, Both meet my requirements... look at these deals and tell me which one would you choose. They are both about the same money.

Door #1:

Yamaha EMX88s mixer, 2) yamaha s112s speakers, gig rack, power conditioner, 25' snake, speaker stands & cables $650

Door #2:

Mackie 808M mixer, 2) JBL tr125 speakers(not familiar w/these), cables $700.

Both are about 3 years old and #2 has never left the house.

Watchu think?

• Members

Deal one (I read the add for it on Craigslist.) The JBL TR series in package 2 are terrible speakers. Deal one also gives you the rack, stands, etc. I wouldn't consider #2 after seeing #1.

So how would you compare the TR125's to the Yamaha S115V's I already have?

Thanks...

• Members

Deal one.

I do believe the TR series are older then 3 years.

The JBL TR speakers are an older line of their low end series. They were replaced by the SF series and then by the JRX series. They are much older than 3 years, more like 8 or more years it think. None of these speakers were all that great.

I'd Buy system 1.

• Members

Another for deal #1. The rack and power conditioner and other parts can always be eBayed if you don't need them. The TR series speakers were known for their ear piercing highs and poor sound in the crossover region. lousy resale value on those. I do like the 808M but the added gear value of #1 beats that out.

Boomerweps

• Members

In keeping true to my fickle self... I chose Door #3...

A very lightly used Yamaha EMX512sc and 2 likewise S115v speaks for a lil over $700. Included Speakons, mic cord, and one akg8000. Very clean stuff.

But while I'm familiarizing myself with the manual details (yeah I read the manuals, Can't help it I'm a geek!) I read where the mixer does not like electric guitars or other impliments w/o the use of a DI box.

Can someone tell me why I cant just plug into a hiZ? What will happen? Will it not work? blow up? spin the earth backwards?

Thanks again for the help!

GW.

• Members

In keeping true to my fickle self... I chose Door #3...

A very lightly used Yamaha EMX512sc and 2 likewise S115v speaks for a lil over $700. Included Speakons, mic cord, and one akg8000. Very clean stuff.

But while I'm familiarizing myself with the manual details (yeah I read the manuals, Can't help it I'm a geek!) I read where the mixer does not like electric guitars or other impliments w/o the use of a DI box.

Can someone tell me why I cant just plug into a hiZ? What will happen? Will it not work? blow up? spin the earth backwards?

Thanks again for the help!

GW.

For a short 1/4 instrument cable (across the stage), you shouldn't have any problems. Unless, 1) your gtr amp is plugged into an AC outlet with a different ground potential (ground loop) than the box mixer 2) You yammie mixer doesn't gain the 1/4 input like is does the xlr (some box mixers do this).

If you want to be safe® you can run your line inputs thru a DI (good value at www.audiopile.net) with a ground lift and run XLR to the mixer.

Oh...an I like your door #3 option...should serve you well.

• Members

So do I need a passive or active DI box? Or does it matter?

Thanx...

If you want to plug your passive guitar or bass directly into the board, use an active DI. If you have an active instrument like keys, or a bass w/ active preamp then a passive DI is a better choice.

It has to do with loading of the pickups in a passive instrument.

If you want to plug the line level output of a guitar or bass or keys amp into the PA, a passive DI is a better choice and the ground lift function will help eliminate hum due to ground loops.

• Members

Oh, c'mon, 6-8 years old isn't very old for music gear. That said, the TR series wasn't very good, and they weren't even trap shaped if I recall correctly.

I also agree. 6-8 years is nothing. All my amps are at least 8 and mostly over 20, my speakers are all at least 10 and mostly entirely unknown age. If the equipment is good then age shouldn't be an issue (up to the folded horn era of course).

• Members

I also agree. 6-8 years is nothing. All my amps are at least 8 and mostly over 20, my speakers are all at least 10 and mostly entirely unknown age. If the equipment is good then age shouldn't be an issue (up to the folded horn era of course).

I would agree. Good gear is mostly still good gear if it still fits the function and has not been worn out or trashed. I don't think I'd want to carry around a sound system that was state of the art circa 1985. The size, weight and functionality just don't compare with what is available today but good sound is still good sound.

However JBL TR series speakers didn't sound good then and they have not improved with age. :)

I used to sell them back when they were the latest cheapo from JBL. I would NEVER recommend them to anyone. And I knew that if I did an A/B for the customer it was a sure sale for just about anything they were compared to. The only ones I ever sold were bought by people who came into the store that HAD to have JBL and didn't have the money to get good JBL. Some people buy with their ears, some with their eyes.

• Members

Someone already mentioned it. TR > Soundfactor > JRX

i'm sorry... i don't know my JBL history...

But...

I thought the SF gear was along the MP200 stuff and also the MR stuff was like the MP400 into MRX stuff...

SR to SR-X to SRX is pretty simple. I do like the older SR-X stuff better than the current SRX gear.

Archived