Audio grade solder?

• Members

I like the idea but I'm thinking that could be a little rough on transistor junctions.

There's more than one way to intepret the statement that "it will never sound better." If it never sounds at all, then it won't sound better.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude... somebody already beat you to it:

BTW: I believe tin, silver, copper solders are possibly capable of achieving electrical conductivity upwards of 2% better than conventional eutectic tin, lead solder. And 3.5Ag, 96.5Sn actually has 3% better electrical conductivity (at 16% that of annealed copper) then the best electircal conductivity tin, silver, copper solder I can find, being 95.5Sn, 3.8Ag, .7Cu, with an electrical conductivity of 13% that of annealed copper.

Those are difficult solders to work with, used in lead free RoHS processes. We use them because we have to, not because they are desireable. They are also corrosive on the tooling and machinery. I wouldn't call them superior.

• Members

Those are difficult solders to work with, used in lead free RoHS processes. We use them because we have to, not because they are desireable. They are also corrosive on the tooling and machinery. I wouldn't call them superior.

There's also the issue of "tin whiskers" - lead-free solders have all kinds of problems to deal with....

• CMS Author

Well yea, but what kind of a price can you put on truly better audio? Especially when such a reasonably priced but better audio grade solder can make such a profound difference in the sound. Think about it, if every solder joint has possibly 2% better electrical conductivity, and there's 500 solder joints in an amplifier, then the amplier could sound 1000% better with the audio grade solder!!! (I should have been a salesman).

Isn't 500 times 2% the same as 500 squared? That's 250,000 times better!!!!!!!!

*I* shoulda been a salesman ( I sure ain't no math major )

• Members

Frankly, I can't believe you people.

You're the same kind of irresponsible cynics who pooh-pooh the placebo effect -- which is the only effective medical treatment without real side-effects.

If the tech convinces himself he's improving the amp and the user convinces himself it sounds better, then it IS better. And the transfer of funds is obviously a sorely needed economic stimulus. Any other view is some sort of elitist techie nonsense.

Rick

• Members

Frankly, I can't believe you people.

You're the same kind of irresponsible cynics who pooh-pooh the placebo effect -- which is the only effective medical treatment without real side-effects.

If the tech convinces himself he's improving the amp and the user convinces himself it sounds better, then it IS better. And the transfer of funds is obviously a sorely needed economic stimulus. Any other view is some sort of elitist techie nonsense.

Rick

No Flux with his logic. :facepalm:

• Members

Right now I have a little bitty short length of like 40 ga. copper wire stuck in my thumb, that I've been trying to pick out under a magnifying glass for 10 minutes... cause it's bugging the hell out of me, and hurts like crazy

that happened to me a few days ago except that it was a small shard of glass imbedded in my thumb from coiling up cables in an extreme broken bar glass environment. couldnt see it, sure as hell could feel it and i about tore my hand apart with a pliers trying to get it out before the wife got it out in seconds with a needle.

which proves that needles are more powerful than pliers.

Archived