Crest Audio

• Members
I was involved (in a round-about way) with the original parent company of Crest Audio before Crest was started. That was in the days of Dallas Music Industries and Kelsey. It was a company that was always one step ahead of itself. Lots of great ideas and concepts but they had challenges executing well. Lots of great guys there that set some benchmarks that are still standards today.

Peavey started building products for them about 10 years ago (Don/Jim do you remember when exactly?) and ended up with the company about 5 years ago.

Was Crest part of DMI and Kelsey? Still have an old Crest 3501S I believe is the model #. Quite heavy and the same channel died in it several times.

• Members

OMG I remember Dallas industries and Kelsey. Very nice stuff for it's day.

To the OP. Old Crest equipment is like old Crown (pretty much indestructable). I think they did have some QC problems back in the late 90s but I've always considered their equipment good sounding and quite reliable. If Peavey is calling the shots these days (I think they are), It's probably a pretty good product. Personaly I think Peavey is a company who has been consistently under rated in the high end pro audio world. They make some truly great products at a more than competative price.

Listen to what the other guys say about powering though (So the 2450 might be your best option (and an amp I'd recommend highly as well)). The difference in wattage won't make that big of a difference sonicly and may cost you a recone down the line. Don't overpower - and use the amps limiters and you'll never have speaker problems.

• Members

Was Crest part of DMI and Kelsey? Still have an old Crest 3501S I believe is the model #. Quite heavy and the same channel died in it several times.

Crest developed out of Kelsey's "ashes". Both were from the DMI family.

I just (last month) got rid of the rest of my old Crest parts. The 2501/3501 weren't the most reliable, and the side to side heatsink tunnel was revised to front to back very quickly. For the most part, parts are still available off the shelf. The only tough part was the pre-driver transistors that were TO-66 packages, but even these can be replaced with MJE1503X series. They are a bit tough to get the module assy out though. Experience helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just one more thing guys(for now),the Yamaha speakers. For what I am trying to do,do you think they are the right choice? They are at a price point that makes it possible to put together this system at just about where I need to be,realistically,in terms of money. Features like dual speakon inputs,the non-rat fur covering,and quite frankly,valued opinions,have lead me to these boxes. Am going to check them out today,along with some other stuff.

Archived