Crest Audio

• Members

I think you will find them much closer to the RMX in terms of weight, power and price.

How about reliability/performance? I really value your opinion.Am thinking 2-single 18s on one side,2- tops on the other for 4 ohm load on each side. Primary use as smaller club P.A. I only made the comparison to GX series based on price. Most of the Crest amps I've seen are not as budget friendly as these. Looking at Yamaha C series FOH.

• Members

Don't have any experience with them. They are a Chinese manufactured product, not unlike other products, but we have a good idea of how the RMX's have held up over the years so I have a hard time not recommending something like the 1850 or 2450, especially at the prices they fetch.

• Members

Don't have any experience with them. They are a Chinese manufactured product, not unlike other products, but we have a good idea of how the RMX's have held up over the years so I have a hard time not recommending something like the 1850 or 2450, especially at the prices they fetch.

OK,thanks! It is priced about the same as the RMX 2450,but I think it offers a little more wattage. Have to check that one,and I'm sure the difference isn't signifcant. I guess my real question is wether or not Crest has as good,or better track record than QSC. Wish you had some hands on with this one Agedhorse!:thu:

• Members

i've had good use of my VS900. it's old, very heavy and low power (250watts per side) and i can hear the fan 75' away but it always works and sounds great.

do'nt know about the newest stuff but everything i have used by crest has been nothing short of stellar.

• Members

At 4-ohms this amp will do just under 500 watts to each box wich is actualy about 100 more per box than the RMX 2450. It is priced at about $50.00 less than the 2450. If it is in the same league at all,I think I'm gonna try one. Just wanted to see if any of you gurus had any info on them. Figured they were China built,but just wondered if there were any horror stories.

• Members

At 4-ohms this amp will do just under 500 watts to each box wich is actualy about 100 more per box than the RMX 2450. It is priced at about $50.00 less than the 2450. If it is in the same league at all,I think I'm gonna try one. Just wanted to see if any of you gurus had any info on them. Figured they were China built,but just wondered if there were any horror stories.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but the RMX-2450 does ~700 watts/channel at 4 ohms.

Based on my experience w/ the 2450 I wouldn't even try anything else in that catagory. But if you want to be a guinna pig, let us know how it works out. Photos of the guts would be an added bonus.

• Members

That Crest Model shows 965 a side at 4 ohms. QSC model PLX 1804 shows 900 watts a side at 4 ohms,and isn't a whole lot higher in price. This particular PLX model,like The GX series,will not do 2 ohm loads. I'm not sure about bridgeing as that isn't a technique I feel comfortable with useing.Running the PLX in the above mentioned fashion will put me at 450 watts rms per box.Yamaha rates these at 500 watts(tops),and 600 watts (subs) all program.I know some will say that I will be horribly underpowering these speakers,but I see no need to throw any more than 500 watts rms at a single speaker in this price range.I really don't think that being a guinna pig is a real wise choice with an investment like this no matter how small. Thanks for the input. I think I'll look into the RMX 2450,or the PLX 1804.

• Members

the numbers don't mean much as they may not be on the same scale. careful running those yamaha tops with that much juice, the rating is optimistic imho.

Really? How about those 600 watt"program" Subs? I mean I could just run a GX 5. With a 4 ohm load per side puts 350 watts to each box. Just thought in this power area an extra 100 watts could actually make a small difference.

• Members

That Crest Model shows 965 a side at 4 ohms. QSC model PLX 1804 shows 900 watts a side at 4 ohms,and isn't a whole lot higher in price. This particular PLX model,like The GX series,will not do 2 ohm loads. I'm not sure about bridgeing as that isn't a technique I feel comfortable with useing.Running the PLX in the above mentioned fashion will put me at 450 watts rms per box.Yamaha rates these at 500 watts(tops),and 600 watts (subs) all program.I know some will say that I will be horribly underpowering these speakers,but I see no need to throw any more than 500 watts rms at a single speaker in this price range.I really don't think that being a guinna pig is a real wise choice with an investment like this no matter how small. Thanks for the input. I think I'll look into the RMX 2450,or the PLX 1804.

Sorry, I was going off your post #7 comment about 500 watts @ 4 ohms, which I misunderstood to be the total power.

350-500 watts per sub box is plenty IMO. You are not underpowering them, you are in fact powering them more correctly than many. I would not go above 500 watts under any scenario.

• Members

under ideal circumstances i doubt you would be able to notice the difference in watts. which speakers specifically? the c115V?

the yamaha 18" subs? those are rated optimistic as well.

Yes the c 115 series.I think the ones without the carpet covering are a better "look". The c 118 matching subs,some power (hence this thread),and a MixWiz 16-2. Was later giong to add a GX 5 and 2 to 4 wedges (probably Harbangers) to complete the monitoring part of this project. Can do this entire system (with wedges) and a rack for everything,and still come in under 5 grand. That is why the commitment to the power amp is such a critical decision on this one. Larger systems with dual 15 tops ,and dual 18 subs require more amps anyway,but this is one for smaller venues where bands are making less,and I can still get a good sound,and charge less.

• Members

Sorry, I was going off your post #7 comment about 500 watts @ 4 ohms, which I misunderstood to be the total power.

350-500 watts per sub box is plenty IMO. You are not underpowering them, you are in fact powering them more correctly than many. I would not go above 500 watts under any scenario.

No need to apolagize Agedhorse! I wasn't positive of the posted numbers,and had to doublecheck to varify them anyway.Do you think those tops will be ok powered this way (450 watts each)as well? Coaster expressed some concern on this issue.

• Members

Is Crest owned by Peavey these days?

I don't know. I do know they have been around a long time,and MF has a line of them that are very competitivly priced. That is all I know. I don't know of any tops in this price range other than these Yamahas that have 2" horns,and for some reason I find that a great feature.

• Members

The yamaha's use a 1" exit, 2" voice coil horn, NOT a true 2". HF drivers are normally know for thier exit size more than their VC. Marketing though for yamaha...

Thanks,man! That is the kind of feedback I was hoping to get on these Items. I see these Yamahas as the "cream of the entry level crop" so to say.I think you would probably have to get to something like MRX or equal to really surpass them. I may be wrong,but I will a-b them against comparebly priced tops,and subs.

• Members

From what I understand, Crest imploded a few years ago and Peavey bought what was left and built it back into a functional company. At the start under Peavey, there were problems with getting support, but I've heard that was more a problem with Crest and it's been fixed now.

The main Crest console designers left and formed APB Dynasonics.

We use Crest Pro200 amps. One died randomly a couple of weeks ago, but it's still under warranty and we're getting the support we need.

• Members

If it were me I'd go with the RMX2450. Rock solid amps plus

- FREE 6 year warranty if you register the product

- $100 rebate currently being offered, bringing the amp to $599

- It's actually in stock. The Crest says it's backordered 35 days.

Try ordering from Sweetwater and see if they'll throw in shipping (it's a heavy item and everyplace I looked charges shipping). They usually will.

• Members

I was involved (in a round-about way) with the original parent company of Crest Audio before Crest was started. That was in the days of Dallas Music Industries and Kelsey. It was a company that was always one step ahead of itself. Lots of great ideas and concepts but they had challenges executing well. Lots of great guys there that set some benchmarks that are still standards today.

Peavey started building products for them about 10 years ago (Don/Jim do you remember when exactly?) and ended up with the company about 5 years ago.

Archived