SX SJB 75 vs Harley Benton JB 75

nbaptsta

• Members

Hi,

I would like to get your advice about the best bass I can buy . The SX is 240€ and the HB 153€, both body are made of american ash  , I guess the main difference are the pickups.The SX is the bass to buy or HB is better, despite the lower price?

Regards

• Members

5 hours ago, nbaptsta said:

Hi,

I would like to get your advice about the best bass I can buy . The SX is 240€ and the HB 153€, both body are made of american ash  , I guess the main difference are the pickups.The SX is the bass to buy or HB is better, despite the lower price?

Regards

The Harley Benton I haven't the chance to play, so I have no idea from a firsthand knowledge kinda thing. SX, Douglas, Agiles, I have.  I have 3 Agile Pauls, a Douglas thin line tele, and a SX Jag kinda thing. I have played a SX P bass, and I liked it. felt good in the hands, sounded good, and wasn't a boat anchor weight wise.  Pickups are always subjective to one's own hearing. I believed it was a good quality instrument. your best bet is play both of them, if possible, and decide which one suits you personally.

• Moderators

The HB wouldn't have to be a better bass. If it's as good, at a lower price point, it's a better buy.

The thing is, though, that whatever you buy can be modified or upgraded down the line, should you so desire. As badpenguin said, play them, if possible to see what suits you. I'd say, especially in terms of feel. Does the neck feel good in your fretting hand? Does it sound good all by itself, not plugged in? Pretty much everything else can be changed. Better/different pickups, strings and electronics. Better setup. A bit of fretwork, if necessary. All can make a difference.

I am not personally familiar with either model. With the SX costing half again as much as the HB, I'd go HB unless there were a compelling reason not to.

• Members
18 hours ago, isaac42 said:

With the SX costing half again as much as the HB, I'd go HB unless there were a compelling reason not to.

My main issue with the HB is the weight! Reviewers says that HB is heavy!

Edited by nbaptsta
Error

• Moderators

I see where people are saying the HB JB75 runs about 12.5 lbs[~5.6kg]. That is kind of heavy...the SX runs about 11 lbs[~5kg].

But a Fender JB is about 8.5 lbs [~4kg], so that is a noticeable difference!:eek2:

Good luck...both basses appear to be reasonably well made and easily modified/upgraded.

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

Good luck...both basses appear to be reasonably well made and easily modified/upgraded.

I think I prefer the HB pickups, I have played the SX and I didn't like the pickups sound, seems lack a bit of punch.Or the SX lack of punch is it because is a jazz bass?

Edited by nbaptsta
Error

• Moderators
1 hour ago, nbaptsta said:

I think I prefer the HB pickups, I have played the SX and I didn't like the pickups sound, seems lack a bit of punch.Or the SX lack of punch is it because is a jazz bass?

They are both 'jazz bass' models so that shouldn't be the issue....but both are 'starter' basses...so you won't get the best p-ups, pots, tuners, bridge...but all that is easily upgraded.

BTW...what happened to that Yamaha BB200 you bought last summer?

• Moderators
On 12/25/2023 at 2:28 AM, nbaptsta said:

My main issue with the HB is the weight! Reviewers says that HB is heavy!

Your call. I mainly play Rics, which run about 9 lbs. I have one that's about 13 lbs, and I agree, that's heavy. I also have lighter basses. A Glarry is 6, maybe 7. Cheap, too, at least here in the States. I got mine for $87. They tend to be more now.

• 4 weeks later...