New guitar toy day!

badpenguin

• Members

Hey all, no, not a NGD yet. (That's coming once I de-gunkify it. Nasty.) But something I saw on feebay, thought about for a month, sold a wah pedal I forgot I had on feebay, and decided, "Ah, why not.". A Les Trem.... clone. Yep, a clone, since I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the 100+ bucks for a real one. My first dilemma was figuring out what guitar to use it on. Was pretty sure my L6S isn't metric, that was easy. And I figured I wanted to use a roller bridge with it, so I hunted thru my parts bin for a roller, until I saw my Peerless Retromatic P2 sitting there. "Hmm, that has a roller bridge,,,, and the Les Trem was a factory option... and it does need new strings... ok, found my lab rat!"

In all seriousness, it took LONGER to take it out of it's packaging, then it did to install it! Here's the steps it took: remove strings. Remove tail piece. Remove studs for said tail piece. Replace studs with the ones provided. Replace the trem on the studs. Restring and tune. I mean, anyone can do this. (Yes, even a drummer. With help.)

A LOT easier to string than a Bigsby. And less weight. As for adjustments... 2 allen screws to tighten the arm, and one to adjust tension. See? Drummer easy. I was concerned that it would change the tone or sustain. No difference as far as I can hear. Didn't change the feel of the guitar at all either. AND it's smooth. Not meant for Floyd dives of course, more of that Bigsby shimmer we all like. Tuning issues you ask? None from the trem. A little filing and graphite on the nut, since the strings got a bit hung up, but that's all the nut, not the trem. And there is none of that bend the D string up with a finger, have your A string fall out of tune. I couldn't be happier! Really surprised with the quality. In all seriousness, if you had a guitar with the quick release tail piece like an Ibanez, you could change tail pieces between sets, and still have time for a beer and some smoking substance.

Penguin gives it... 2 flippers up!

20231213_195814.thumb.jpg.8b5fae8b69efccdac75feb3a98615890.jpg20231213_195845.thumb.jpg.d440f96f30fb141e134d280a4c04832a.jpg

Edited by badpenguin
  • Like 3

• Moderators

Very :cool2:

gotta ask what that set you back...I know what the 'real ones' cost....[just as I was gonna post....]

I have been debating picking one of those Les Trems up...then I started worrying I would like it, and I'd have to put it on all my stop tails...so I have not done it...yet.

• Like 1