Build #4 - Kay-inspired folk/concert/00 size 14 fret - Sitka/Honduran Mahogany

kwakatak

• Members

I know: "but you're not done with build number 3 yet. To that I answer: I don't want to forget the lessons I've learned and repeat the mistakes. I've already completed the molds and bending form and purchased the tone woods. Only a few things are left to purchase such as the fingerboard, the bridge and the tuning machines. The plan is to let them acclimate in my workshop over the winter and begin work in May.

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5219.jpeg

Edited by kwakatak

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

Okay...I kind of get it, but...we won't hear much about this project until 6 months from now? [not that the thread will fall too far:rolleyes2:]

Lol. Nope. I’ll be keeping the other one alive and watching to see if this wood doesn’t warp over the winter. I don’t dare work it when it’s too dry. I’m just posting this to challenge myself to remember. The tools stand ready. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

:thu:

You know I'm still watching build #3 closely...

oh, and the part I 'didn't get' was the Enterprise 'D' model on the next shelf down....

j/k...

you say this #4 is going to be a Kay-style 'concert'? Please do not nail the pickguard on:facepalm:...really, they made some real 'cannons' with the 'concert' models...but then they used metal tacks to attach the pickguard....was glue more expensive? :idk:  It just ruins the aesthetic for me. Which is sad because I almost bought one years ago that had a pickguard with a 'clean' Kay logo [most get worn away], but the tacks were rusted and had discolored the white plastic.

But I know you were not going to go there...sorry, I just got 'triggered' for a moment....😉

• Members
9 hours ago, daddymack said:

:thu:

You know I'm still watching build #3 closely...

oh, and the part I 'didn't get' was the Enterprise 'D' model on the next shelf down....

j/k...

you say this #4 is going to be a Kay-style 'concert'? Please do not nail the pickguard on:facepalm:...really, they made some real 'cannons' with the 'concert' models...but then they used metal tacks to attach the pickguard....was glue more expensive? :idk:  It just ruins the aesthetic for me. Which is sad because I almost bought one years ago that had a pickguard with a 'clean' Kay logo [most get worn away], but the tacks were rusted and had discolored the white plastic.

But I know you were not going to go there...sorry, I just got 'triggered' for a moment....😉

That's the Enterprise, no bloody A, B, C, or D. I put that kit together when I was 15. I can't bear to throw it away even though it's fallen apart. I'm a second generation pack rat.

As for the Kay, it's got one of those adjustable bridges that I hate. This one is going to be more Martin-esque. I'm splitting the billets for bracing myself and making sure that the lap joint on the main X brace is tighter than it was on the 000 build - and still only be 1/4" thick (as opposed to 5/16" if it were a dreadnought. It's going to be about an inch smaller at the lower bout than that too. FWIW I haven't stuck a pick guard on either of my finished builds. I don't want there to be a tan line.

• Haha 1

• Members
On 11/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, kwakatak said:

As for the Kay, it's got one of those adjustable bridges that I hate.

A pair of nut blanks ought to fill the slot nicely once trimmed for length. Plenty of thickness for compensation too. Ought to intonate really well.

Edited by DeepEnd

• Moderators
On 11/18/2023 at 8:18 AM, kwakatak said:

That's the Enterprise, no bloody A, B, C, or D. I put that kit together when I was 15. I can't bear to throw it away even though it's fallen apart. I'm a second generation pack rat.

As for the Kay, it's got one of those adjustable bridges that I hate. This one is going to be more Martin-esque. I'm splitting the billets for bracing myself and making sure that the lap joint on the main X brace is tighter than it was on the 000 build - and still only be 1/4" thick (as opposed to 5/16" if it were a dreadnought. It's going to be about an inch smaller at the lower bout than that too. FWIW I haven't stuck a pick guard on either of my finished builds. I don't want there to be a tan line.

I stand corrected, and that was the best response on the Enterprise, Mr. Scott....:thu:

I'm still chuckling about 'tan line' [that is an old Kay 000-18, btw]

tooyh3ehygk2syqn7ocb.jpg

• Thanks 1