Ever Had A Gtr Cable That Erased Your Tone Control??

ksl

• Members

After changing a pup in my Jazzmaster, I had pulled out a neatly, loosely wrapped, & rarely used Mogami 2524 15ft cable, & I figured I had knocked my tone cap loose upon reinstalling the guard as the tone control was deactivated AND ALSO, the taper on my volume pot resided between 8 & 10.... Anything below 8 was zilch signal,,, Then I picked up 4 more guitars & they ALL had the same reaction,,, NO Tone Control & next to zero Volume sweep,,, until I tried another cable, & (whew) everything came back to life.... How does a quality cable go so horribly bad, & has anyone ever seen this before?? thnx

Edited by ksl
  • Haha 1

• Members

Well, looks like I won't be winning any soldering run-offs any time soon 🤔  Even though the one right angle (that i installed) looked good, i simply lop'd it off, & with alligator clips, connection was made, & all controls back to normal...   Now to check on any & all cables I had my mits on,,,,   Thnx folks!!🪕🪕

• Members
2 hours ago, ksl said:

Here lies the culprit.... Being a first-time Mogami user, I wasn't aware of this extra clear shielding that makes yà or breaks yà!!  thnx again~20230922_181111.thumb.jpg.9c1c06e6fb6b4e8462fefb470d0fd4d7.jpg

I believe that cable was guaranteed for life.. I inadvertently broke the end off one. I gave it to a sales person at GC with no receipt and they took one look and gave me a new one no questions asked.  
Don’t repair a .Mogami  cable in the future 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, ksl said:

Here lies the culprit.... Being a first-time Mogami user, I wasn't aware of this extra clear shielding that makes yà or breaks yà!!  thnx again~20230922_181111.thumb.jpg.9c1c06e6fb6b4e8462fefb470d0fd4d7.jpg

I had a partial spool a few years ago some one gave me...Mogami stuff is technically superior...once you know where the 'magic' is, no problemo....but until you do figure it out...oy vey!

image.png

"This Mogami cable is designed to prevent microphonics with a conductive carbon impregnated polymer sub-shield placed under the shield conductor. If you want the best cable to go from your instrument to your rig, then this is it.

Note: The carbon impregnated polymer subshield should be removed prior to soldering on connectors. Otherwise there is a potential for signal degradation."

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/mogami-w2524-instrument-cable

Y'know, the internet is a mahvelous thing....

• Like 2