Can anyone ID this bass?

excitron

• Members

I've come across an image an old friend took of a basement jam session held back in May of 1975.

The fellow is holding what appears to be a white McCartney style Höfner bass, but the head stock is not that of the white Höfner basses I've run across online. I did come across a white Höfner guitar with a similarly shaped head (in black), but no basses with that head.

I'm assuming it may have been a knockoff of the era, but curious if anyone may know better.

The image is unfortunately blurred, but the head stock and part of the body is visible.

So if anyone may have a clue, let me know.

Thanks.

mario 02 5-75.JPG

• Members

LOL, well I was hoping someone may have been familiar with either any Höfner knockoffs of the era, or if perhaps Höfner may have made a white violin bass in that time using a white version of the black head stock that is used on their similar violin line of guitars, which the head stock in the picture does appear to look similar to.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, excitron said:

LOL, well I was hoping someone may have been familiar with either any Höfner knockoffs of the era, or if perhaps Höfner may have made a white violin bass in that time using a white version of the black head stock that is used on their similar violin line of guitars, which the head stock in the picture does appear to look similar to.

I am actually somewhat familiar with many iterations, [as I would think Isaac42 would be as well] but, unfortunately, there were so many violin bodied basses in the late 60sup tothe early 1980s [I owned two, one an Eko, and another Japanese no-name] and beyond that definitively nailing this down from a fuzzy pic is nearly impossible. It is also possible that that headstock on the bass was refinished white to match the bass. But the head stock does not match Hofner of the era

IMG_0051.JPG

or the Eko:

note the big 'scroll' block, and the offset tunersEko Violin Bass 1964 - Brown

and, although closer to the shape, not the Epiphone version either:

brands

so my best guess is a Japanese no-name , although it also does not match with any Matsumoko version I am familiar with, like Univox

Vintage Univox violin bass,1968 Matsumoku made in Japan, all original, clean image 9

which was very close to the Hofner's.

Not even close to the Vox paddle headstock on their violin...

Vox V-250 Violin Bass Semi-Hollow Body Electric Bass Guitar ...

and not a Teisco [Kawai] either [again, more Hofner-y]

teiscbass-03.jpg

and not Ibanez [Hofner-y again]

Ibanez Violin Hofner Copy? | TalkBass.com

There is another headstock a rare 'paddle 3-1' [circa 1967] on the solid body version1967 Ibanez solid body violin bass with Bizarre Headstock ...

So good luck...if you get an answer, please enlighten us!

• Moderators
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

I am actually somewhat familiar with many iterations, [as I would think Isaac42 would be as well] but, unfortunately, there were so many violin bodied basses in the late 60sup tothe early 1980s [I owned two, one an Eko, and another Japanese no-name] and beyond that definitively nailing this down from a fuzzy pic is nearly impossible. It is also possible that that headstock on the bass was refinished white to match the bass. But the head stock does not match Hofner of the era

Actually not. I don't think I've ever played one, and never really wanted one. I do find them more appealing now, in my old age.

Probably due to dementia!

• Haha 1

• Members

Yes, it's unfortunate that the image isn't clearer, but that was low light photography back in the day. 🙂

However that's a pretty good overview of what may have been available back in the day that you've posted daddymack. I have to say that for a knock-off, that white bass in my posted image was quite an attractive-looking bass, finished off with that black trim on the body. It may have looked far better than it played possibly, but still a nice-looking bass.

• Moderators

Pickups and pots can be replaced. Necks, not so much.

I have long thought that, if it feels good in your hands, and sounds good unplugged, everything else can be dealt with. And a lot of problems can be fixed with a good setup. Took me a while to learn that.