Buffers...

1001gear

• Members

Anybody using dedicated buffers in their signal chain? I mean in addition to any on the pedals themselves? I tried a couple bypassed TSs and they made some difference on a 20' Planet Waves although I did like the straight in sound of that cable. 10' George Ls was like auditioning Monster Cable hifi interconnects. Don't even know if I could or couldn't detect a difference. Anyway do they have any purpose other than restoring capacitance loss?

• Moderators

I have one in my 'sideman' pedalboard, because I have one of pretty much every imaginable pedal, except octave [never saw the need] and flanger [so early 80s], but usually two delays, a boost, an OD/Distotion, noise gate, chorus/phaser, reverb, tremolo....and I did notice an overall improvement in the signal reaching the amp....plus the outbound cable is 18'.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/17/2024 at 11:32 AM, 1001gear said:

I still don't get how a signal has an impedance.

It's hard to explain, but think of your guitar's signal as a fluid going through a straw or pipe. I high impedance circuit has skinny pipes, and over long distances there will be a lost of pressure. Low impedance is like having a "bigger pipe" so signals travel with less loss. A passive pickup can make a decent amount of voltage, up to and even over a thousand millivolts AC, but there's very little current (amps/milli amps) behind it. Sorry this is over simplified and to be honest I don't completely understand it myself, but there you go! 

The culprit that makes passive electronics "high impedance" is the pickup. The very earliest magnetic pickups used fewer coil windings and stronger magnets to get enough signal strength. Leo Fender got to examine and repair many of these early instruments (Rickenbacker lap steels and so forth) and decided he could improve the pickup design by using more coil windings with a smaller, more focused magnetic field. Luckily, the vacuum tube is well-suited to amplifying high impedance signals. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 3/19/2024 at 9:11 AM, 1001gear said:

So it's the wires like you'd think not the signal. Which begs the question, what does an impedance converter do?

A negative impedance converter (NIC) is an active device that adds or subtracts voltage in series to the voltage drop across an equal positive impedance.

• Members
12 hours ago, daddymack said:

A negative impedance converter (NIC) is an active device that adds or subtracts voltage in series to the voltage drop across an equal positive impedance.

Sounds good except I can't grasp the idea. Might as well be an open circuit. :D

• Moderators
7 hours ago, 1001gear said:

Sounds good except I can't grasp the idea. Might as well be an open circuit. :D

think of it as matching the  number of lanes on both sides of a highway so coming and going take the same time ...not the best analogy, but a reasonable visualization.