kick drum mic feedback problems

• Members

Hey, so the title pretty much says it all. Our drummer has a set of shure drum mics. We have always had problems with low frequency feedback coming from the kick drum mic. It loses all it's punch because there's a long booming decay. The only thing that gets rid of this is turning the low EQ or volume down, but then we can't hear it. We are in a very small practice room, and I admit I haven't had a chance to try our new PA at a venue, and that could easily be the issue, but with our old PA we were having similar problems even on stage.

Any advice on how to solve this problem? Positioning of the kick drum mic?

thanks,

Dylan

• Members

Are you micing the kick in a "very small practice room"? Seems way unnecessary to me.

Editorial over ;) . As suggested, a pillow or blanket will help kill the resonance ; a properly setup gate could help with the punchiness/resonance (not a newbie thing to setup). If all else fails, a trigger on the kick to a dm4/dm5 type drum machine will give you all the kick you need without feedback.

• Members

haha I know, it is unnecessary. The only reason we were micing it was to test out the new PA. We used to have that problem on stage though, just haven't had a chance to try this PA out on stage. No, he's not using a pillow and I'll try that. I've got a little compression/gate unit I might try too. Thanks guys

• Members

I assume your placing the mic inside the kick drum, try moving it out and just infront of the hole...if your drummer doesnt have a hole get a head with a hole or port in the head. I use a Audix D6, placed about 1" outside or just inside the hole. Never have a problem with feedback but I also have quite a bit of juice in my subs so I have mucho headroom and doesnt require alot of gain on the mixer or channel strip to get the desired volume.

• Members

Does he have a pillow in the drum or some other way of dampening it well?

+1

Problem solved. You can also try a blanket - Something you can fold different ways or move around to change the level or resonance. We keep the blanket from touching the beater side to prevent too much dampening of the attack...

• Members

Before you destroy all sound that the kick drum could possibly make, let me suggest that you might have the speakers positioned incorrectly. Where are the speakers in conjunction with the kick drum? Are the speakers pointed back at you? Behind the drummer? What is it exactly that you're trying to accomplish here? Is it about you hearing the kick drum or the audience hearing it? Is the channel strip flat? Are your speakers even capable of properly reproducing kick drum?

• Members

Although your situation is not likely one to worry about, fixing problems that are likely to handicap your live performance will also help your rehearsal testing scenario:

Most of the kicks (and floor toms) I encounter are tuned too high. After seating the head, I tighten the lugs by hand - no key. As lose as they will go without rattling. (I do the same for the floor tom.)

Most of the kicks (as well as the rest of the drums) are too ringy - they may sound good to the ears that are several feet way, but they drone on forever to the mic that's only a few inches away. A soft pillow that's big enough to put a bit of pressure on both heads. (Damping rings for the tom are better than nothing, but seldom enough. I'm thinking a small bean bag, but filled with shot - a variation on the old wallet on the snare drum trick - which no longer works as it seems that drummers no longer carry wallets.)

Archived