$$ for the sound guy...

• Members

How much is too much? When are you getting raped by the sound guy?

I've paid the sound guy 30% and hated doing that because he's making more than the guys in my band!

When should I be putting my foot down. I don't want to insult the guy, but I'm only making so much green here...:confused::confused:

• Members

well many many thing factor in to this , such as who has the liablity if equipment should get damaged, who owns the gear (ie who is takeing the hit on ware and tear). Also location specific, as cost of living factors in.

RE- sound guy getting more then the band- this is very very common.

in fact, unless your doign arena shows this seams to be the way it works.

conside taht a guitiar player might have 2000$ invested in this rig, .. the sound guy likely has 20,000$ - start by paying him 10 times as much. Also you have 500 guitar players, for every sound guy.

At the end of the day, it seem like sound is insulated from the "risk" end of thing in so far as, we don't get paid more if the turn out happens to be good, and we don't get paid less if it is a flop.

Kev.

• Members

Why do a percentage? Why not a fixed rate? My coworker always mixes bar bands for a fixed rate (say $125). Not only can the band have their external cost determined, he doesn't need to hang around at the end of the night while the bar and band figure out the nights tally.

• Members

it would be funnier if we all gave the opposite advice in this doppelganger thread.

"soundmen suck and deserve no pay to sit in front of my great band. just the experience alone should be enough, hey think of the publicity - you can promote your fine sound skills to get hired by an actual band sometime in the future"

craigslist - "wanted - soundman. no pay but get to hear our awesome band. must provide minimum $40,000 PA and drive 600 miles one way. also must serve us food and provide all beer for 17 peice drum circle. bring your own hat. also must wear ridiculous one piece pajamas with butt flap. after all, we are the band, you are not."

• Members

My craigslist ad:

Soundman for hire....

Looking for band of at least 8 people that think their gods gift to music, all want stereo IEM mixes out of my 8 aux board, and like to use full marshall stacks, at least 2 8x10 ampeg bass cabs, and a 15 piece drumset and a drummer that knows no dynamics. I have a Midas Venice desk, 25k watts, and 64 par cans. Will do full setup, run sound, and tear down. $75 a night. Call me. 867-5309

• Members

My craigslist ad:

Soundman for hire....

Looking for band of at least 8 people that think their gods gift to music, all want stereo IEM mixes out of my 8 aux board, and like to use full marshall stacks, at least 2 8x10 ampeg bass cabs, and a 15 piece drumset and a drummer that knows no dynamics. I have a Midas Venice desk, 25k watts, and 64 par cans. Will do full setup, run sound, and tear down. $75 a night. Call me. 867-5309

And if an ad like that ever did run, they'd get a call like "is that really for just one night or could you do that price for the whole week-end?". From the sad but true files...

• Members

A lot of the bands we work with, base their rates on what we charge.

Example:

Lets take the typical 200-400 person bar/venue, and they want to book a 5 member rock band. Well each member wants to make $100 a night; but they need sound so the hire that out to us. Since we are bringing out the gear and a tech and that can run from $350-600 depending on the bands & venue needs.

So the math looks like this:

$100x5 -$500 (Band pay)

$350-600 (Rental Fees)

The Bands Rate to play at the venue will be in between $850-1100. Most bands contact us before confirming with the venue about their rates.

• Members

it would be funnier if we all gave the opposite advice in this doppelganger thread.

"soundmen suck and deserve no pay to sit in front of my great band. just the experience alone should be enough, hey think of the publicity - you can promote your fine sound skills to get hired by an actual band sometime in the future"

craigslist - "wanted - soundman. no pay but get to hear our awesome band. must provide minimum $40,000 PA and drive 600 miles one way. also must serve us food and provide all beer for 17 peice drum circle. bring your own hat. also must wear ridiculous one piece pajamas with butt flap. after all, we are the band, you are not."

OMG, yo, you are funny!

And, I had a comp freezing issue which is why I started this thread twice. I'm sorry.

• Members

OMG, yo, you are funny!

And, I had a comp freezing issue which is why I started this thread twice. I'm sorry.

hey it happens. one mistaken back button will do it too.

i have had some fairly rediculous band demands (band got placed on my F**k off list which is even worse than no work list) but i am not ready to laugh about them here yet.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Members
i have had some fairly rediculous band demands (band got placed on my F**k off list which is even worse than no work list) but i am not ready to laugh about them here yet.
:mad:

Oh, comeon - talking about it will make you feel better and we could all use the laugh :lol:.

• Members

And if an ad like that ever did run, they'd get a call like "is that really for just one night or could you do that price for the whole week-end?". From the sad but true files...

Well... maybe $75 would be in the budget... if the weekend gig was up 3 flights of stairs, outdoors, during endless thunderstorms, 115F in the shade, and a shared 15A outlet that's kind-of funky... and you gotta mix in the broom closet downstairs... but get it right cause it's going out on a national televised feed. Oh, and there will be 6 - 7 band change-overs in the allotted 3 1/2 hours and everything's gotta be on-time and by the numbers... yer doing the lighting and follow spots too, right? Oh, and we need everything louder than everything else in the 17 discreet stereo monitor mixes. And there will be a couple of left hand drummers, so set the drums up for both left and right hand drummers (you're aware we do need new heads with each change-over)... and you'll be bringing both left and right hand Hammonds B-3's and Leslies too, right? And the bands aren't willing to share any backline gear or input channels... We can mail a check later... net 30 all right?

And we need a line item detail of what the charges are for so we can decide what's not needed, ok? Fax the quote to me, I'll be in the office for a few more minutes.

• Members

Well... maybe $75 would be in the budget... if the weekend gig was up 3 flights of stairs, outdoors, during endless thunderstorms, 115F in the shade, and a shared 15A outlet that's kind-of funky... and you gotta mix in the broom closet downstairs... but get it right cause it's going out on a national televised feed. Oh, and there will be 6 - 7 band change-overs in the allotted 3 1/2 hours and everything's gotta be on-time and by the numbers... yer doing the lighting and follow spots too, right? Oh, and we need everything louder than everything else in the 17 discreet stereo monitor mixes. And there will be a couple of left hand drummers, so set the drums up for both left and right hand drummers (you're aware we do need new heads with each change-over)... and you'll be bringing both left and right hand Hammonds B-3's and Leslies too, right? And the bands aren't willing to share any backline gear or input channels... We can mail a check later... net 30 all right?

And we need a line item detail of what the charges are for so we can decide what's not needed, ok? Fax the quote to me, I'll be in the office for a few more minutes.

Hey, yous guys ain't poachin' my premo gigs again, are yah :mad:?

:lol:

Archived