what happens when you sound for a local band that goes national?

• Members

Recording is different. Recording engineers are usually crucial to their recording style/ideas.

Unless you're already close friends with the band, I doubt that they'll hold a special place in their heart for you. At the end of the day, the hired grunt is just that. When the band goes big-time, they just hire the next production company up the food-chain.

• Members

There is a young guy named Evan Kirkendall who posts over at http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/ who is the FOH engineer for the band All Time Low. He started working with them in small clubs They went on tour with Fall out boy and I believe they were the headliner at several WARPED shows this year. I enjoyed reading his blog http://www.harfordsound.com/blog/ {read the archives section.} It was an enjoyable read. He has a new blog but hasn't posted in it. Anyway most bands that do make it big will travel with their own soundman.

• Members

There is a young guy named Evan Kirkendall who posts over at
who is the FOH engineer for the band All Time Low. He started working with them in small clubs They went on tour with Fall out boy and I believe they were the headliner at several WARPED shows this year. I enjoyed reading his blog
{read the archives section.} It was an enjoyable read. He has a new blog but hasn't posted in it. Anyway most bands that do make it big will travel with their own soundman.

How Funny.

tonight my son and I were talking about bands he likes, and he mentioned he really likes this band All Time Low.

Then I remembered this post.

Timely.

• Members

Expect that someone will talk the band into replacing you with "a pro" who can't mix pancake batter. I can't think of any other reason for the number of hacks out there. (By all accounts, Evan Kirkendall is a rare exception.)

• Members

Expect that someone will talk the band into replacing you with "a pro" who can't mix pancake batter. I can't think of any other reason for the number of hacks out there. (By all accounts, Evan Kirkendall is a rare exception.)

Often, stepping up to somebody with more "worldly" experience is a much better solution.

If there are so many "pro" hacks out there, then the field is wide open for you to make it big and work some real shows eh?

• Members

If you do sound for a local band and they go big time do you stick around?

FWIW my thoughts:

Do you give 110% to the band? Are you at every practice? Do you set up the board and rehearse the cues even if they are only using the monitors at practice? Are you an invaluable part of their "sound"?

If you are lucky enough to tour with them they will only be the opener at first and you'll be expected to do a lot of grunt work in addition to possibly being allowed to mix for them. Learn how to do EVERYTHING anybody is willing to let you help with - especially the headliner mix engineer and monitor mixer. If anybody thinks you aren't busting your arse and constantly looking for more to do that first tour you won't be there for long. A great work ethic counts for way more than a great ear - that's why you will hear many a marginal mix engineer working big shows.

Archived