sound insurance

• Members

This Jewish temple I was gonna do sound at refused cause I don't have insurance. How much does sound insurance cost and what's the best company to go thru

I'm somewhat surprised that this matter came up at all. What precipitated the insurance conversation?

I can't recall the last time I was asked about insurance at a "low level" gig. Not slamming your gig, I'm just assuming it wasn't an arena, or a big time soft seater.

Oh yes, I get my gear and liability insurance through the musician's union ie. American Federation of Musicians. They have companies that work with them to provide insurance of all kinds at reasonable rates.

The gear insurance in particular is a good deal.

EDIT: Should have mentioned that you have to be a member of the AFM to take advantage of their services.

• Members

They are asking that you carry liability insurance, and will probably ask that you name the facility as additionally insured with regard to your operations and actions on site.

This is common, and in fact pretty standard. Our venue requires all promoters to carry liability insurance and name us as additionally insured.

The main reason is for their insurance company's obligation to defend us in the event we (or all of us) are sued due to the actions of the event, They typically exclude willful or gross negligence on behalf of the additionally insured parties which is really no big deal.

I just sent off a copy of an additionally insured certificate to a state agency we work for, we can't even set foot on their property without it.

• Members

LOL Had a similar occurence happen to me at a faith based "community center." For the whopping sum of $85 they could have one of their members write me a "one event" policy. It was a shakedown , pure and simple. Took the bride's uncle all of 20 seconds to get them to reconsider. Seems that having "Judge" in front of your name helps.

• CMS Author

I know that this company has been recommended before (although, I haven't used them):

https://www.musicproinsurance.com/default.aspx

And I know that Craig has advised inland marine insurance. Talk to your agent.

Edit: Beat me to it.

The liability coverage is often separate from the coverage of your gear as provided by an inland marine policy. Of course, both are easily offered as part of a 'comprehansive' policy (which is a very good idea to consider).

Agreed completely....get an agent and discuss your needs. It costs nothing more to use an agent and they have a LOT of good info as well as being very helpful when/if you have a claim.

• Members

Liability is all they are concerned with (they don't care if your equipment dies or not as long as you fulfill your end of the contract).

It's been years, but my company had to have insurance for some events. We had something like a $500k liability bond. It wasn't all that expensive (somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 per year). This was in the 80s though, I'd bet with out litigous society these days it's gone up.

• Members

LOL Had a similar occurence happen to me at a faith based "community center." For the whopping sum of $85 they could have one of their members write me a "one event" policy. It was a shakedown , pure and simple. Took the bride's uncle all of 20 seconds to get them to reconsider. Seems that having "Judge" in front of your name helps.

No sir, it's not a shakedown at all. In fact, it's a smart business policy because stuff does happen and generally the venue has as much exposure to liability and losses as any other party and in most cases a lot more. They are seen as the deep pockets, and almost always get dragged into the suit.

$85 is cheap for a one day event policy. I think the venue was stupid to walk away from the requirement under intimidation. had it been me and my venue, I would have sent them away (we have this right, it's part of the contract the client signs) Judges know how to sue better than anybody else, and the last thing I need is for a judge to tell me how to run my business and what exposure to liability I should accept.

• Members

The main reason is for their insurance company's obligation to defend us in the event we (or all of us) are sued due to the actions of the event.

I'll suggest another primary reason for the insurance requirement is as a litmus test to separate the wheat from the chaff. Having a general business insurance policy in-place is a fairly basic aspect of legitimate business. No business insurance policy could easily be perceived as a big red flag indicating a whole host of less than suitable aspects with the contractor.

• Members

I'll suggest another primary reason for the insurance requirement is as a litmus test to separate the wheat from the chaff. Having a general business insurance policy in-place is a fairly basic aspect of legitimate business. No business insurance policy could easily be perceived as a big red flag indicating a whole host of less than suitable aspects with the contractor.

I also agree with Mark on this. If a company can't be bothered or concerned with having liability insurance, perhaps they aren't all that concerned with safety either.

• Members

This is very illuminating. I've never been asked for proof of insurance (although I have it). Not saying it doesn't happen around my part of the world but not to me.

Played oodles of clubs, hotels, convention centres, .... and never been an issue - now watch, it will happen all the time!

Strange, we must have sent all our lawyers, south of the border:)

• Members

There have been issues where sound and lighting companies have been responsible for injury. We want to know that without any question, if somebody gets injured at a show in our venue, they are absolutely covered if the situation warrents it. Generally the promoter provides the insurance coverage (including coverage for work performed by subcontractors), and it's up to the promoter (or their company) to get coverage by these subs. Smart ones do.

• Members

I got a good lesson in why it's a good idea to carry insurance this weekend. A Close friend called and said she had a DJ Gig at a Restaurant/Bar in Hermosa Beach, and asked if I would loan her a Sub and get it all running. Since I knew some folks there and My Wife was out of town I said sure. So I pack a Sub, Amp, and my Ashly 3.24c into a compact kit, Grab my bass & amp (got to play along :), and off I went. Got to the club and started setting up. There's a house "sound guy" who starts giving us his take on how to setup. I take a look at his "flown" speakers, and I just about crap- a Carvin 15" Monitor, a Yamaha Club 15, and 2 Harbinger HX152's. No Subs. All tied into 1 amp, no processing, limiting. He wouldn't let me see the amp. go figure. But the manner in which these sepakers were flown was a joke. Eyebolts screwed into the cabs (and these are MDF aren't they?), no Chains, just bicycle cable wrapped around and bolted back to the 2x6 beams.

So I'm faced with this sccenario - No idea what the amps is, what it's sensitivity/ power are. A sophmoric House sound guy who basically knows nothing (didn't even know his horns were popped on the Carvin, instead insisting he "just replaced" them.

So we're running my friends sytem, I get everything tied into the 3.24. I set HPF & Limiting. The sound guy is complaining it sounds like {censored} with no highs. My gear sounds fine, so I go listen to his stuff - sounds like ass. I put a bit of top into w a PEQ. Run. Owner comes up an hour later and yells at me that if I blow his tweeters I'm going to pay for them. So I'm liek, fine, Turn the house system down 6dB. (Mind you, had the house tech turn the sensitivity on his amps down to 1/4, and then set my limiters so that it capped).

No to mention the inferior power being sent to us on a vastly inadequate extension cord.

So I'm in a situation where the owner is on my back, the house sound guy won't take responsibility, and obviously the city doesn't give a {censored} (There is no way this place hasn't been inspected, it's on the Main drag in Hermosa). So what would have happened if something fell, went wrong, blown?

Insurance means I don't have to worry about it so much.

Todd A

• Members

In Hermosa??? The recession must be for real then
;)

Seriously. Although the place was packed. People were using the whole restaurant as a dance floor. The music was all Old School Funk, some disco & rock. People were bouncing. But it sounded like crap, not that anyone really noticed. But that's why the owner can get away with having crap speakers... I mean my Rack with the Ashly & QSC cost more than his entire sound setup in the restaurant... hehe.

Honestly, I think someone should call the city on that setup, it ain't safe here in Earthquake country.

T

• CMS Author

Honestly, I think someone should call the city on that setup, it ain't safe here in Earthquake country.

T

City of Hermosa Beach-

Community Development Director : Ken Robertson

Building Division(310) 318-0235

Planning Division(310) 318-0242

Inspection Request(310) 318-0218

Code Enforcement(310) 318-0243

Fax Number(310) 937-6235

Archived