I need help with a contract...

• Members

I need some help. I'm going to be providing sound for conference in Febuary. I got an email from the coordinator of the event, with all the details and she wants me to send her a contract.

I don't know anything about contracts! I've never signed any, used any, or made any up. I've tried looking for some sort of template on the internet, but none of them seem to apply to what I'm doing.

Here are details:

- Event is on Saturday, February 6th.

- Registration begins at 8:30am and the event begins at 9:00am.

- It will end by 3:00pm that day.

- I'll be providing sound for a band (drum kit, keys, bass, guitar, sax, 1 lead

vocal, and 7 backup vocals), and I need to provide one wireless for the

main speaker.

- I need to load in at 6:00am.

- I'm have another show the night before. It will take me about 40 minutes to

get to the next place from there. I won't drivaway from there 'till about 2:45

am. The coordinator emailed this, "We would like to provide you a

hotel room at the ------------ in ---------- so you can sleep when you

get to town. Let me know if this is something you would like for us to do

and we will take care of it. We will also take care of your food for the day

as well."

So, those are the details. I have no idea how to put this in contract . She just let me know that she needs it (the contract) today. I have know idea what to do! I have no idea how this should laid out!

I'm just a regular guy that gets called to do sound. I'm not very business minded. My strength is

my customer service. So if ANYONE could offer suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everybody.

• Members

Contract issues aside, you're really cutting it close booking two events that close together. Accept the offer for room and board, but request it *after* the event. You're going to be exhausted, and that's no time to be driving your gear home.

Good luck! Busy beats slow, every time.

Thanks for suggestion, but when the conference is over I'll be heading off to do another show! The conference is over at 3:00pm. It'll take me about 2 hours to drive away. My next load in is at 7:00pm. Band plays 9:30 to 12:30.

Gotta make that money!

• Members

I have had contract issues in the past. First and foremost, make sure the contract is between them and you/your business. If you do not have a license to operate your business make the agreement in your name. If there is ever a dispute and your business is not licensed, case closed and you lose.

Other than that make sure you be as specific as possible covering amount to be paid, amount of time you will be providing the service, what items you will be renting, condition of repair/replacement cost if your equipment is damaged, etc.

• Members

I have had contract issues in the past. First and foremost, make sure the contract is between them and you/your business. If you do not have a license to operate your business make the agreement in your name. If there is ever a dispute and your business is not licensed, case closed and you lose.

Other than that make sure you be as specific as possible covering amount to be paid, amount of time you will be providing the service, what items you will be renting, condition of repair/replacement cost if your equipment is damaged, etc.

Thanks man. I didn't know any of that.

• CMS Author

As important as the amount to be paid is the timing of payment, and accepted forms of payment. My terms are check deposit for 50% at least a week before the date. CASH balance, when I arrive at the venue for load-in. No cash, truck/trailer doors remain locked. Cash is the key that opens those doors.

Excellent point about whom the agreement is between. Be sure to get the actual name of the business (be aware of and list "dba" if it applies), not the name of a person unless you're doing a private party for that person.

• CMS Author

Thanks for suggestion, but when the conference is over I'll be heading off to do another show! The conference is over at 3:00pm. It'll take me about 2 hours to drive away. My next load in is at 7:00pm. Band plays 9:30 to 12:30.

Gotta make that money!

You need to hire an assistant, if for no other purpose than driving safely between the venues. Safety first, always.

• CMS Author

Depending on where you live, you may not need a license to conduct business. The contract may indeed be in your name, especially if there is no corporation or FNS entity involved. In fact, the contract may have to be in your name.

I'm not sure whose post you're addressing, but to clarify, my point was that it's important that he gets the correct name of the entity he's working with.

He can use his name if he wishes even if he's got a corporation or limited liability company...he then becomes personally responsible for the agreement.

• Members

If the gig is in a Hotel, make sure the contract states that the buyer (them) is responsible for the cost of power in the room. Hotels are notorious for ****ing people for a ton of money when it's discovered at the last minute that the room's outlets are not usable and that the hotel's distro is needed.

• Members

of my customer service. So if ANYONE could offer suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everybody.

100% hire some help. If your rig is not to complex, you can finish mixing and walk away leaving "clean up" to a 4rd party of capable hands.

We did a set of who in late augest, that require 4 stage in 2 provences, with 4 X 5 ton trucks.

the ONLY way I was able to do it was with 24 hour operations, and crew taht was able to work while I rested, it makes all the differance. PLUS if you adopt the "I don't have to kill myself for this job" attitude, you will find that you can do stuff on your "day off " after the set of shows, as opposed to loseing that day cause you need 20 hours of sleep.

Archived