Essentials vs Rack Luxuries?

• Members

Yes, Andy. Please don't judge too harshly. While the eq may not be some boutique piece, the mixer sounds sooo much better than my old analog mixer. Eq and all. I certainly wouldn't change back.

Oh, you were talking about his rack eq and crossover. Did you think the 8 channel eq sounds bad? I was considering one for myself.

• Members

The Alesis DEQ830 - 8 channels of eq in one rack space, interface isn't bad at all, gets raves from people using it digital in and digital out but some people notice signal degredation using it analog. Maybe agedhorse can elaborate. I use it for monitors only and I like it - bar scene weekend warrioring.

Not top-shelf gear, but high-value at roughly $350 used.

• Members

Just considering the reliability factor, as well as looking closely at the input/output maximum levels (IIRC the Alesis eq has an input poverload and MOL of around +16dBu which means Don's recommendations of turning the amps down would be even more compromised... )

I do understand the cost issue, but it seems funny to have a Studio Live with those outboards.

The 1231 is a great eq for the money BTW.

• Members

Alesis I/O is +19dBu.

A lot of folks use them with the 01v96 and I am not aware of anyone complaining of a higher than normal failure rate. Mine has been used for about 300 shows so far with no issues. I usually bypass it when using IEMs but engage it when I take out different sets of floor monitors where I have the curves saved for each brand. (Yes, I could do that on the 01v96 but then I use some of the scenes that I need for other things.)

It is the only outboard I use with my console other than two external 8 channel preamps for the second layer.

• Members

Ok, so +19dB MOL, subtract 6dB for typical amp max. sensitivity, leaves 13dB of headroom under ideal conditions. This means that of as Don suggests, you turn the amp sensitivity down say 10-15dB, you will be unable to drive your amp to the limit point (rated power) without clipping (or being within 3dB) your drive electronics (specifically the eq's input or output or both). The same issues are involved with the DriveRack products, the MOL is limited to (from memory 18 or 20dBu), meaning that 6dB of headroom is not even availble. Nothing wrong with this, but you have to understand what gain structure means before applying rule of thumb amp sensitivity reductions.

Typical balanced MOL's for pro gear is +26dB, which allows amp sensitivities to be reduced typically by 6-10dB under ideal operating conditions.

Going from what I remember from the Alesis products, most operated using ~16dBu for MOL due to the way they generated their power supply voltages internally, and their unbalanced connections made this even worse.

• Members

With the advice of you veterans, I'm cobbling together a PA system that I hope will produce a nice sound for our band that plays Motown, classic rock, & pop. I finally bought KV2 10s for mains and one KV2 ex2.2 sub for now (they're powered). Monitors are also powered (JBL G2 15 Eons and an EV SXA 100). I also purchased a A&H MixWiz 16.2 that has built in effects.

I conceptually understand equalization, compression, gating, and limiting, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out what are the next essential purchases. When people tout the virtues of sonic maximizers, feedback eliminators, and DriveRacks, I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any advice on what is/are next essential(s). I might go for a little icing on the cake, but don't have the money for luxuries. Much thanks!

A graphic EQ a is the only essential item i see missing

• Members

I've never used a Studiolive so I don't know how the EQ interface works, but I'm not a big fan of using the 31-band EQ's in digital mixers for anything more than inserting on groups. So yes, I would get the 1231 (Great EQ, great price, assuming it's in good shape) and use it on the FOH mix. If you like the EQ interface in the Studiolive, by all means, use that and save a buck.

• Members

doesn't the original DRPA have a +18dB limit? The main reason I wouldn't use one is the interface, other than that no biggie.

Chickentown: Are you using the alesis with the optical I/O? If so how do you get the adat I/O's to do this and carry the 16ch of adat input?

• Members

doesn't the original DRPA have a +18dB limit? The main reason I wouldn't use one is the interface, other than that no biggie.

Chickentown: Are you using the alesis with the optical I/O? If so how do you get the adat I/O's to do this and carry the 16ch of adat input?

Just checked, both the DRPA and 260 are +20dBu MOL.

The interface doesn't bother me, generally we program a unit for a speaker system and it stays that way locked off other than the graphic. It makes our speakers behave like properly programmed powered speakers, but I do all the programming and development at the shop in "anechoic" conditions.

• Members

No.

• Members

Spend money on some decent 31 band or parametric equalizers - preferably something with a feedback finder and a simple yet good reverb, lots of decent cheap reverbs out there. For the inexpeirienced operator a compressor can be confusing and frustrating, if you are a performer learn good mic technique ( a lost art) and if you are a operator learn to ride the faders ( also a lost art)

Get good with the eq and the reverb (Pick 1 good setting and leave it to start)

Archived