New Peavey Triflex II portable audio system

• CMS Author

Weight?

"The TriFlex II enclosures are constructed of sturdy 18 mm MDF with internal bracing and coated with a tough black acrylic paint finish, and feature a 16-gauge perforated metal grille for the ultimate in road-worthy durability."

My guess would be "plenty", at least for the sub (the 10" boxes are very small). The fact that it's specifically billed as a "portable" system yet publishes no weight is disconcerting.

[soapbox]

MDF is among the worst materials to use for a portable box IMHO...it's weak for its weight, falls apart with water exposure, and doesn't hold fasteners well. The surface tends to tear off under loads when fastened with hot glue.

It does take paint well, is acoustically advantageous due to ts density, and is inexpensive. All great for install systems, but portable? No.

[/soapbox]

• CMS Author

My limited experience with MDF was the cabs really got much heavier after using them outdoors after a rainy day and the dew seem to add to the weight also. Definitely not for outdoor use.

Even more of a problem long-term, is that once MDF absorbs water, it expands and will never return to anywhere near its original dimension. Plywood will dry out and the fibers shrink to (nearly) original size. Even OSB is less affected by moisture, especially the newer varieties marketed in the last several years. It's actually superior to plywood in many respects.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

thread_necromancy.jpg

So, I've been looking at this thing on and off for awhile. One came up used in my area and I thought about pulling the trigger but ended up passing. That was actually the first Triflex, which seemed to have come out only a handful of years ago before being discontinued. It was gone for a bit, and now this new model is out.

PeaveyTriFlexPortablePoweredPASystem.jpgpeavey-triflex-ii.jpg

Judging by both manuals, I can't see a big difference between the Triflex (on the left) and the Triflex II (on right). The MDF thing sucks, especially since you want it to be as portable as possible. Is MDF really that much cheaper than low grade plywood? Either way, it would make a nice system for my vintage country band (guitar/vox, upright bass, snare drum) which only needs a minimalist PA in the first place.

Apparently neither of the above are the original Triflex, however. Peavey came out with a triflex system decades ago in the infamous color/logo scheme that's still seen in used music store across the country. I think it's a pair of 8"/piezo horn tops mated with a folded horn 2x12 sub.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334650[/ATTACH]

• Members

What about a compact power sub with tops?

Right! - In general these types of systems are silly. With the slew of powered boxes out there these days what's the point? If you want to spend $900 on powered mains and a sub, unfortunately, it's possible. There's no need to by this specific anemic setup. With 125W tops @ 4 ohms & 250W sub, this is pretty much on par with a powered box mixer as far as level of performance you could expect. It's just a different way to package it. A box mixer doesn't come with speakers. This setup doesn't come with the mixer.

• Members

Well to be fair, the newer triflex version seems like a decent deal for someone who wants a small system with a sub. I can think of a couple bands who could get away with using it now. Easy of operation is the selling point. Having 2 inputs and a pair of satalite speaker outs seems pretty easy to use. Add a mixer and mics and thats it. The B52 version of the same is in a similar price point, every time I visit a GC there is the same demo version there getting beat up. I doubt they sell many of these.

• Members

That's a really good suggestion. I wonder what the marketing idea is behind the "all-in-one" systems like the Triflex. I supposed I'd get one if I could get a smokin' deal on a used one, but I could do better. The group I'd be using the system with doesn't require thumping bass anything beyond low-to-moderate levels (we don't even use a kick drum), so in all actuality I could probably get by with my powered mixer and two speakers on sticks if necessary. Unfortunately, this means I'd have to remove my oscillating fan from one of the stands.

I'd just need something portable for really small gigs (10-40 people); anything larger would have large PA support provided.

• Members

That brings back memories. I played in a blues band many years ago, where we used one of the original Peavey Triflex systems. It worked okay for the parties and small clubs we played in, but it had nothing on today's gear. The next step was a pair of SRM450's, and it was a big leap in sound quality. That started me down the road to powered speakers and I've never looked back.

The main thing I remember was how heavy that lower cabinet was, with the satellite speakers loaded. And it was basically just a gimmick anyway, because the satellites were so small that you'd need a very small car to worry about saving the space.

• Members

The point is, you can stand that sub up on those big casters and pack your whole system on it. Roll it all in/out at once. To quote the great Paula Abdul, "it is what it is", a really awesome boombox. It's not meant to power a Metallica tribute band, but it's pretty good for playing background music at a graduation party or wedding reception. It bumps pretty good, we had fun cranking it up.

I rolled it all over Peavey for about 3 months. I even packed it in my truck carrying it to other buildings. The only part about moving it that sucks is lifting that sub into and out of the back of a truck. Other than that, it just rolls everywhere.

• Members

I'm actually looking for a similar configuration for my smaller (mainly one man) wedding DJ gigs.

My "what's the point" question relates to one man operation.... if I can't lug the sub up a reasonable amount of stairs on my own, it just ain't gonna be much different to moving my 40kg(88lbs) sub and 30kg(66lbs) tops.

Horizontal, I'm fine with that weight..... vertical (stairs and pole mounts).... its not a one man operation any more..... for me, a +-30kg sub (don't need to pole mount) is doable up stairs. That's the direction in which I'll be heading... :) .... DB Technologies, Dynacord, HK Audio (no Yorkville down here) or, as agedhorse suggested, a compact power sub with tops.

Get that sub down to around 30kg with a 1kW system output and my ears will definitely be pricking up! Pricing would obviously also be a factor....

I am, of course, assuming that the Triflex II sub weighs in the region of 40kg......

Archived