How’s it going?

wkendhacker

• Members

I was a sort of regular here a few years ago. I lurked a lot more than I posted. Glad to be back. I mostly play a Martin OME Cherry or a Breedlove Solo Nylon hybrid. Looking for a portable PA system and hopefully another player to do some gigs in or around Louisville KY. 
Looking for any and all suggestions on which portable PA. Looking at a Turbosound iP1000 and a few others. 

• Members

Well, it could be better. I won't bring up politics our moan about feeling isolated but suffice it to say it's not something new to me. My family is mostly well, though I have two loved ones who I can't be with and they are struggling with being isolated from us - but again I won't go into it. My wife's job is doing very well, we're not facing economic hardship or going hungry and quite frankly I feel like I'm finally able to enjoy a simpler life.

Musically speaking I've set up a desk in the spare bedroom and bought a digital interface, a mic boom for my large condenser microphone and (with a room humidifier running constantly) I have several guitars hanging on the wall for easy access. The only difficulty I'm having is having time to set aside where I am able to play without disturbing the rest of my family. Typically it's after my wife's business hours and before she goes to bed at night. My younger son is typically done with school by 3pm. Before that I have to be quiet - even when doing house work; my wife is constantly on Webex for work.

So right now I'm tweaking settings in Reaper as a DAW and OBS, which I am using to set up for streaming and recording audio and video simultaneously. I'm also on the fence whether to play cover songs or focus on improvising as a means of songwriting.

• Like 1

• Moderators

if you don't want to risk it...go to the Harry Fox Agency [aka: HFA  HarryFox.com] and pay the license fees...:wave:

personally, I would not go out of my way to record a cover and then post it on yt, et al.[although other people have posted video of me doing covers, I never have]; I would prefer to post my own copyrighted material.

• Members
21 hours ago, daddymack said:

if you don't want to risk it...go to the Harry Fox Agency [aka: HFA  HarryFox.com] and pay the license fees...:wave:

personally, I would not go out of my way to record a cover and then post it on yt, et al.[although other people have posted video of me doing covers, I never have]; I would prefer to post my own copyrighted material.

Thx. This is stuff that should be taught in school IMO.

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, kwakatak said:

Thx. This is stuff that should be taught in school IMO.

I was 'trying to teach it' at HC, in the Music Business forums since around 2007. I posted this there in 2014. It is a nice guide to licensing, although things may have changed a little in the past years....

If you have never looked there [Inside the Music Business], there is a wealth of knowledge amassed in there regarding licensing, distribution, copyright law, music libraries, releases,contracts, etc.:wave:

• Like 1

• Members
17 hours ago, daddymack said:

I was 'trying to teach it' at HC, in the Music Business forums since around 2007. I posted this there in 2014. It is a nice guide to licensing, although things may have changed a little in the past years....

If you have never looked there [Inside the Music Business], there is a wealth of knowledge amassed in there regarding licensing, distribution, copyright law, music libraries, releases,contracts, etc.:wave:

Yeah, well good thing I'm middle aged and homely; nobody is going to be watching my videos on YouTube. 😉

• Moderators
On 1/15/2021 at 9:13 AM, wkendhacker said:

I was a sort of regular here a few years ago. I lurked a lot more than I posted. Glad to be back. I mostly play a Martin OME Cherry or a Breedlove Solo Nylon hybrid. Looking for a portable PA system and hopefully another player to do some gigs in or around Louisville KY. 
Looking for any and all suggestions on which portable PA. Looking at a Turbosound iP1000 and a few others. 

back to the OP...the IP1000 is a well-regarded column system, and good 'bang for the buck' in it's price range. For less money, with similar features you could look at the Harbinger MLS900 [~$400] or the Turbosound IP300 [~$500], or the MAUI 5 [~$600]. Avoid the Behringer C200, it is woefully under powered and the unit will likely not stand up to frequent set-up/teardowns.

Going upward in price gets you into Mackie, JBL, EV and Fishman...and for the 'wealthy', the Bose L1.

The JBL Eon Pro is a nicely equipped battery powered [rechargeabel] system under $600, if you are busking.

A lot of the determination will depend on the size and types of rooms you intend to be playing, if you need a subwoofer, more than 4 channels, DSP needs, etc.

A decade ago, you would have has a very limited selection of vertical arrays, basically the Fishman SA220 [I have owned mine for that long, the newer SA330 is also viable] or the Bose L1 [the Compact came out as a 'budget version' about that time]. Today there is a plethora of line array systems out there from which to choose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 1/15/2021 at 11:13 AM, wkendhacker said:

Fishman Loudbox Mini is good bang for the buck.   Very portable now that it has battery option. 

• 10 months later...