How's your hearing?

• Members

I went to the audiologist yesterday. I found out after years of working in a semi loud environment (machine shop) that my hearing has dropped off starting at the 4000Hz range. I have also developed a ringing in my ears. Now I'll be 60 next month so some of this was to be expected with age.

I was wondering, for you folks who make your living with your ears have you had your hearing checked? How good is your hearing? Does it affect your live sound mixing abilities or do you know?

• Members

Haven't been to an audiologist since about '90 when I got my ER plugs, which, sadly, I stopped wearing with any regularity around '95 or so...

Have an appointment scheduled next Friday for hearing test and molds for my new in-ears.

While I don't THINK I have any major loss, I'm scared to see what reality is...

• Members

I had a hearing test about 1 month ago. I have hearing loss starting in the 6000Hz range, and Only in my right ear. Most of my exposure to loud noise is as a drummer that sings. The only reason i can think of that my right side is taking the loss is I generally sing with a mic stand to my left, so my right side ends up facing cymbals, snare, etc. Maybe that is the difference?

I always assumed my left would be worse since i always keep monitors to my left side, but I guess I was wrong!

By the way, I'm only 27, so this is considered an early loss.

• CMS Author

A dropoff around 4-5kHz is normal as we age. That's what the audiologist tells me when I visit.

The ringing in your ears is tinnitis. I've got a bit of that too...had it since I was a kid, never knew it wasn't normal to hear a slight ringing in otherwise quiet settings. I'm pretty sure it was caused by standing outside on the observation deck of JFK Airport's International Arrivals Building to see my grandma's BOAC flights from London pulling up to the gate. 707's had screaming loud engines back in the day.

I'm 48.

• Members

I had my hearing tested last year, I tested well above average (relief) but I also have been very careful about any long term exposures.

Very worth while to get tested, at least you get a baseline and might also explain why you might hear differently and how that might affect your mixing as others might hear it.

• Members

I was born with 60% hearing impairment in both ears. However I wear a really good hearing aid and from an early age my ears were always picking up the intricate details of music. It never stopped me from being a good musician or from running FOH, and the feedback I get is positive.

That said, I do get annual hearing exams. So far there has been no degradation.

Despite my crap hearing, my vision is 20/16. I worry more about losing my vision as that would spell the end of my career and my hobby.

Huh?

Hey, that's MY line!

• Members

Mine is screwed up ... the doc said I need a heariing aid i my left ear ,, I blew it off. I got crickets in my ears. oh well.... I guess at my age I am not really going to get all freaked out... i do what i can do to avoid loud noise , but if you play rock and roll ,, you are going to take some hits on the ears. My wife yells at me anyway ,, she can just yell a little louder lol.

• Members

I went to the audiologist yesterday. I found out after years of working in a semi loud environment (machine shop) that my hearing has dropped off starting at the 4000Hz range. I have also developed a ringing in my ears. Now I'll be 60 next month so some of this was to be expected with age.

I was wondering, for you folks who make your living with your ears have you had your hearing checked? How good is your hearing? Does it affect your live sound mixing abilities or do you know?

Anyone making a living at live sound might want to think twice about discussing their hearing loss on a public forum.

Dennis

• Members

Thank God I don't have any tinnitus.

I suspect I have some loss in certain frequency ranges, but for the most part, my hearing is just as acute as it's ever been. I saw the light early on and began wearing hearing protection, and have been blessed with playing in bands that have had controlled stages and/or in ear monitoring.

I suspect that in the coming years, there will be an epidemic of low freqency hearing loss among relatively young people, all related to an apparent fascination for excessively loud low frequency sound. You know what I mean -- when the subs in the car half a block down the steet are vibrating your car and everything in it, the poor soul(s) in the originating vehicle have to be killing a few auditory cilia, don't you think?

• Members

I too have tinnitus, 4 years in military, lots of time in aircraft. Then spent about 15 years shooting handgun competition.I Used hearing protection as much as possible but after enough exposure to noise, it's probably inevitable to suffer some loss. Probably lucky that I hear as well as I do. TW

• Members

Anyone making a living at live sound might want to think twice about discussing their hearing loss on a public forum.

Dennis

Except that the majority of people making their living in live sound are likely to be in the same boat. Hearing loss is hardly an industry secret.

I've seen a couple of reports claiming that the younger generations are showing hearing loss much younger than their parents, with the effects of Ipods, video games and car stereos being the suspected culprits due to the increased time exposed to such environments.

I've only done the online testing recently. For what it's worth, I test pretty normal for a 50 year old.

Winston

• Members

Not a pro, just an aging rocker in a bar band (57). I have tinnitus in a big way, have for decades. Played in a band in the 60's/70's and never bothered about the ringing after practice/gigs. Probably just (or more) damaging were long trips on a motorcycle. The bike's not loud, but the wind noice in a full face helmet all day long left ringing ears until I finally started wearing earplugs. I can usually ignore the ringing. But a couple months ago I was in my workshop; I'm religious about wearing hearing protection, but disconnected an airhose without them on and hissssssss. Now my left ear rattles in the mid-range. Crap. Will get a hearing test soon but really pissed that such a stupid thing made it worse.

I fear for my kids with constant ear bud use.

• Members

Had 6 months of live sound without earplugs, been wearing ER-25's ever since.

Hearing is perfect for my age according to the audiologist.

Using earplugs on a regular basis does cause a few annoyances to my ears though

• Members

I'm 20 and have tinitus in my right ear from being stupid with fireworks about six years ago. Overall my hearing is still in very good shape however it can be a bit "un-focused" at times so I have to concentrate a little more in noisy environments. I use custom IEMs whenever I can and have a few good pairs of earplugs for when I can use them. Good hearing at the moment an plan on keeping it that way.

Archived