BLENDER POT QUESTION

ksl

• Members

I've had blend pots on 2 different Telecasters and found them to be tone suckers. I have a "blend pot " on my Strat for the bridge humbucker blending single and dual coils.,this uses a regular pot.

• Members

DADDYMACK, yer funny, & maybe knowledgeable on guitar electronics, but you're not helpful or entertaining.... & it would better serve the room for you to stick to the script, & thanks for your lack of assistance. 

• Moderators

come on...keep yer sense of humor...and what 'script'?

My life is one long improv...but yes, you can use a 'regular pot'. Happy now?

I also agree with Gardo, you will lose 'tone' [typically, I found it muddies up]...this is why I prefer to have a 2V2T control arrangement [even on my Tele...I know, seems like sacrilege, but Fender made it that way!]

• Members

Thnx, Gardo~ This is my main Strat that has seen more pickguard swaps in the last 40 yrs than you could imagine. The middle p/u is a beast of a Dimarzio SDS1, but I sits low & works well,,, but notice the tone I never really use on the end, & the middle knob is the 'Blender Pot', with a lefty knob that goes from 10 to 0 since as you go clockwise & the pot is out of circuit!!

20190903_171744(1).jpg

20190903_171744(1).thumb.jpg.d9d8513cde2d175d665c5c99a2b73ed7.jpg

• Members

Thanks Mack, it's actually funny, & don't let my urgency for quick & reliable info slow you down,,, we all can use a little levity,,, btw, it's an Oster~~đŸ€”

• Members

Another mod is to take the middle pickup off the switch and give it it’s own volume control.

You can rewire the switch for series and parallel wiring with the P 90s and bring in the middle pickup anytime. Or just use a 3 way switch for Nashville wiring 

• Members

I wired my strat so the bridge, a SD Lil 59 humbucker, goes through it's own Volume (second tone) then the main circuit so it can be "blended" with the others. It's not a blend like on my Les Paul, which is a pot with a center detent, but since the bridge is hotter, it controls the overall mix with the original Vol becoming a master Vol.

To do this I changed the second tone pot to a push-pull volume for the bridge - the push-pull engages the bridge to be always-on/off so it's always available when needed - but this can be whatever pickup you choose.

To get around any tone suckage I added an "11 switch" which takes the pickup selections directly to the output jack, bypassing all tone/volume controls for zero-load on the signal.

Archived