Carvin's now more than ever confusing new mixer!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For $3,000 I'll add them to any mixer we have. :poke:

That's MAP. They have a LOT more wiggle room on their stuff that your dealers do on your stuff :lol:. Still, I'd take a StudioLive for a bit less money over the ProRack. 16 "real" channels :love: and only a couple annoyances ;). I still try to piss on them regularly about them purposely disabling the variable HPF's on the monitor sends :freak:. They have announced they have "fixed" this on the 24 channel version so maybe they'll get sick of the yellow flood (I'm not the only one ;)) and bring the "fix" back to the older board :mad:.

Oh, and about Peavey - yous guys could have built a MixWiz killer at their price point no prob. I KNOW you have the engineering, just gotta frag some of them MBA's infesting the company :mad:. Your mixers just constantly under-feature everybody else - not a winning strategy :freak:.

• Members

Their mixers do not underfeature their customer base though.

Often less features is a feature, I find this true for outfitting churches that do not have a dedicated sound crew and who do not want to navigate any learning curve. Some fols just do not want to be bothered and that;s a valid position. For them, less features is a big feature.

• Members
I'd take one of those over a MixWiz any day
:thu:
. Last I talked to one of the "letter" guys
;)
they are still about 2 years out on their first digital mixer. They sure do make the most beautiful (and best?) analog mixers though

To be fair the ProRack is only a 12 "real" channel mixer - plus break music, talkback, and two more stereo channels for the FX returns (none on-board). I can get 15 channels on stage with a MixWiz
:)

Close, the "letter" I deal with says digitally controlled analog board!. Are you using the groups? Do your effects output +4db? Try using the group insert returns as FX returns. No EQ, though.

• Members
Close, the "letter" I deal with says digitally controlled analog board!.

I had understood it was going to be the other way 'round - a digital board with analog controls (i.e. full knob set).

Are you using the groups? Do your effects output +4db? Try using the group insert returns as FX returns. No EQ, though.

I don't have one and as I said would buy the Presonus over it anyways. Yes, that's a good creative use for them pesky subgroups :thu:. Only possible "problem" is you can't get the fx in the monitors that way? Presonus is getting major bitchage for disabling the aux sends on the two aux returns they have :mad:. You could get the break music in there that way too if your two fx were returned mono :cool:.

• Members

"You didn't cover wheither they can lay down fixed filters or only live ones that will come and go along with the resultant feedback?"

The auto-eq is actually a 2 step process. The first is for tone correction, the second sets a couple of fixed feedback notches. You can do both steps or either one individually.

In addition to this, each channel has a couple of roaming filters for random feedback.

A local church I sold some microphones to recently has one of these mixers, and they didn't understand how to set it up. Apparently they had never read the instructions, as I'm not a Peavey dealer, but after a couple minutes in the instruction manual, I had run the system through the setup mode and they had much improved performance out of their mixer. I have to say, yeah, it's an all in one so there are a few corners cut, but this system does work a LOT better in practice than I would have thought. Could you better with a bunch of separate equipment? Sure, but then you'd give up the simplicity, and add a bunch of cost, and that sort of defeats the purpose. This particular church doesn't have anyone that knows much about the sound stuff they do have, they basically want something they can turn on and not have to mess around with very much. Are they ever going to get optimum sound this way? No, but for them at least this works well enough for what they want.

• Members

Oh yeah, hey Peavey. When you do a 1/4 out next to an XLR (ex: aux 1-4 outs), make them BALANCED!! Why do this to us in the trenches? I prefer to keep everything 1/4 for ease of use on mon sends only... Make them balanced cuz I may have to run it down a snake.

• CMS Author

Oh yeah, hey Peavey. When you do a 1/4 out next to an XLR (ex: aux 1-4 outs), make them BALANCED!! Why do this to us in the trenches? I prefer to keep everything 1/4 for ease of use on mon sends only... Make them balanced cuz I may have to run it down a snake.

I'm betting they do this because it's more likely someone will need a TS output, and because someone looking for TRS is more likely to have an XLR/TRS adapter cable than the poor schlub who needs TS.

• Members
I had understood it was going to be the other way 'round - a digital board with analog controls (i.e. full knob set).I don't have one and as I said would buy the Presonus over it anyways. Yes, that's a good creative use for them pesky subgroups
. Only possible "problem" is you can't get the fx in the monitors that way? Presonus is getting major bitchage for disabling the aux sends on the two aux returns they have
:mad:
. You could get the break music in there that way too if your two fx were returned mono
:cool:

True about FX in the monitors, but I try to wean the singers off that, makes them less pitchy when the reality of the situation is in their faces.

• Members
True about FX in the monitors, but I try to wean the singers off that, makes them less pitchy when the reality of the situation is in their faces.

Absolutely - but try that with a sax player :freak:. If you're working with random clients many are going to want some. Also when using the rig without mains for rehearsals a little FX in the monitors simulates what you'd hear back from the mains normally.

[obligatory embarrassing story ;)]
I had been using my new digital mixer for just the one band I normally do but had a random gig with it and they asked for FX in the monitors. I couldn't remember how to do that with it as I had never needed to before :freak:. As it was the typical "first set is soundcheck" gig :mad: I had to figure it out between the first and second set :facepalm:.

Archived