my mxr stereo chorus has a serious problem

mbengs1

• Moderators

How long ago did you buy it? if you just got it, complain to the seller.

There's not much I can tell you except maybe the rate pot is worn out...you could replace it...if you can identify it...and in the future, when you buy used items from ebay, make sure you can get a refund.

• Members
5 hours ago, daddymack said:

How long ago did you buy it? if you just got it, complain to the seller.

There's not much I can tell you except maybe the rate pot is worn out...you could replace it...if you can identify it...and in the future, when you buy used items from ebay, make sure you can get a refund.

It was 2 years ago. it worked until I took out the sticky things holding the battery wires. I also took off the duct tape that replaces the battery boxes. I forgot the sellers ID. Should I bring it to the guitar store here? they might know how to fix it. But it's ok. I never touch the rate knob. actually I only have one setting for it, a regular clean chorus setting.

I emailed jim Dunlop about the problem. I tried leaving it on for 8 hours straight. This is how I fixed my other mxr phase 90 pedal. u think leaving it on for a long time could fix it? (like more than 10 hours)

• Members

I'd like to tighten the screws on my MXR stereo chorus. I can find the right size. I tried 2.5mm and 3mm. one was to tight and the other too loose. the right size must be somewhere in between but I never heard of anything like that. 😧

• Moderators
11 hours ago, mbengs1 said:

It was 2 years ago. it worked until I took out the sticky things holding the battery wires. I also took off the duct tape that replaces the battery boxes. I forgot the sellers ID. Should I bring it to the guitar store here? they might know how to fix it. But it's ok. I never touch the rate knob. actually I only have one setting for it, a regular clean chorus setting.

I emailed jim Dunlop about the problem. I tried leaving it on for 8 hours straight. This is how I fixed my other mxr phase 90 pedal. u think leaving it on for a long time could fix it? (like more than 10 hours)

what 'sticky things' are you referring to?  Duct tape? Good lord, bengs, it sounds like this thing is held together with chewing gum and scotch tape...I hope you didn't pay much for it...

well we know "I never touch the rate knob" isn't true because your initial complaint was the rate knob didn't do anything...:rolleyes2:

I doubt the Dunlop people will be able to help as your configuration is non-standard...to say the least.

• Members

Sounds to me like you created the problem when you pulled out stuff that stuck to the interior.  It doesn't take much pressure to  bend a component over so it touches another or flex a circuit board and crack a solder joint.  

My advice would be to first do a careful examination of all solder joints, especially the solder joints that connect the pot that's not working.  My guess is you damaged the solder joing to the board or the pot itself.  At least It may need to have the solder reflowed and at worst it may need a new pot. 

• Members
12 hours ago, daddymack said:

what 'sticky things' are you referring to?  Duct tape? Good lord, bengs, it sounds like this thing is held together with chewing gum and scotch tape...I hope you didn't pay much for it...

well we know "I never touch the rate knob" isn't true because your initial complaint was the rate knob didn't do anything...:rolleyes2:

I doubt the Dunlop people will be able to help as your configuration is non-standard...to say the least.

The sticky stuff was like adhesive tape that was originally on the back of the circuit board. It's purpose was to keep the battery stuff from rattling inside the pedal. I took it out because that's not supposed to be there. I never change settings on chorus anyway so it's no biggie that this one has a problem. 

• Members
On 1/28/2020 at 11:01 AM, daddymack said:

I checked the pedal again and all the knobs (rate, width, intensity) seem to not work properly, does this mean they have to change all the pots?

On 1/28/2020 at 8:20 PM, mbengs1 said:

The sticky stuff was like adhesive tape that was originally on the back of the circuit board. It's purpose was to keep the battery stuff from rattling inside the pedal

Foam is sometimes used to keep the battery from rattling around, and it can sometimes deteriorate into a sticky goop. Getting rid of it / replacing it is fine as long as you're careful to not mess up any of the components or wiring in the process. What I'm more concerned with here is the possibility you pulled off something that was there to insulate components and prevent them from grounding / shorting out. That could conceivably be the root of your problem, but without seeing the pedal, there's no way for any of us to tell you what the actual issue is. 

Any chance you can post a clear, close-up photo of the inside of your pedal?  

• Members
On 2/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, daddymack said:

no, it means you bought a piece of junk.

It works in the sense that I like the setting that it was stuck on, you can touch the knobs a bit to get a different tone except the rate, which was affected the most. I notice I rarely change settings on chorus a flange anyways. i'll have it repaired if something else in my rig breaks. 

Archived