New to using a Snake

• Members

I don't bother to o/u 20' cables as it is just too much trouble to educate "helpers" and they really don't take much trouble to unroll. I generally grab all the longer cables and do those right and let any "helpers" have at the 20 footers :).

• Members

^^that looks only partially figure 8

True. For that case, if I figure-eighted the entire 24x6x100' snake, the crossovers would be so high I really couldn't store anything else in the snake case, like sub-snakes. So I standard coiled several wraps (with the stage box out of the case), then figure-eighted the majority of the cable, then place the stage box on top of that. In that pic, I think I put the stage box in after the initial standard coils, then the figure-eights. That also was my old case, sold with the snake. I now use a similar nice rock & roll black case with just a 16x4x100'.

Boomerweps

• Members
I don't bother to o/u 20' cables as it is just too much trouble to educate "helpers" and they really don't take much trouble to unroll. I generally grab all the longer cables and do those right and let any "helpers" have at the 20 footers
:)

Takes more time dealiing with the twisted cables atthe next gig than just doing it right yourself on the out. IME.

• Members
Takes more time dealiing with the twisted cables atthe next gig than just doing it right yourself on the out. IME.

When only a couple dozen no big deal. There's usually plenty of time at load-in but load-out is usually "hurry up and get the 'f' out" :freak:.

:lol:

• Members

When only a couple dozen no big deal. There's usually plenty of time at load-in but load-out is usually "hurry up and get the 'f' out".

No kidding. We store all the PA gear at my house, and I always lay everything out the day before a gig to be sure we have all we need. I got tired of untangling cables because at the last load-out the band just jammed it all in whatever tote was close by at the time. I finally told them to unplug the cables and leave them alone, haul out the rest of the gear while I organize and coil the cables.

At first they were a little miffed because they were hauling the heavy stuff, until I showed up with the cables in the condition they had left them after the last gig. They only had to go through that bird's nest once to get it.

Since then we haven't had a single bad cable, so they get it now (we were averaging about one every third show going bad). Sometimes experience is the best teacher.

• Members

Actually that reminds me of something I was perhaps trying to forget - a friend of mine's band was playing their first gig at a local dive that has a house PA and they asked me to run sound for them. The house mic cables and mics were thrown in a trunk and the cords were in a ball - took me some minutes to untangle the ball into the individual cords and find six that worked :freak:. The mics were beat to !@#$ from being thrown into the bottom of the trunk and no two were alike :freak:.

• Members
When only a couple dozen no big deal. There's usually plenty of time at load-in but load-out is usually "hurry up and get the 'f' out"
:freak:

:lol:

This is a good example of not getting the big picture regarding at least a professional approach.

Over/under mic cables lay flat and are easy to deal with. Well worth the hassle even if it's only one cable IMO.

• Members

I like the pics with the snake coiled in a rack case. If I had any cases left over I'd try it out. Hypothetically...

If it were say, an EWI 24x8 snake 100', box end mounted to some 4U panels with the cable going down when the box is on it's wheels, would a 12U road ready or EWI be big enough?

• Members

i need to take a "before" picture of my trunk, this is 150' snake so i figure i am way out there the day i took this. you can see at least one good figure 8 loop in there.

2918136670026985969S500x500Q85.jpg

the tray goes in the top part of the box. i cant even begin to tell you how much easier this makes things.......i work for the city dept and sometimes i would get to events and the entire mic cable tub would have gone missing between when i loaded it in the truck and when the truck arrived. same with speaker cables. now they live in the snake box and that aint gonna go missing no matter who you are.

2089860490026985969S500x500Q85.jpg

still, people take my power cable rubbermaid tub all the time. last march i had to track it down (argh) day of show and when i got it the cables were covered in antifreeze. i have no idea WTF someone was thinking.

• Members

Figure 8 is a must for larger snakes of 150+ feet and 24ch count and higher. For the common 16x4/24x8 100', coiling is fine.

Figure 8 is a good compromise as well for keeping your cable in good condition. I have over/under'd 200' snakes. As long as the trunk is big enough. It does leave a big hole in the middle where you can store other stuff (like the stage box & split tails). We are talking about a BIG trunk here.

• Members

Figure 8 is a good compromise as well for keeping your cable in good condition. I have over/under'd 200' snakes. As long as the trunk is big enough. It does leave a big hole in the middle where you can store other stuff (like the stage box & split tails). We are talking about a BIG trunk here.

If you are even a little bit careful, it all fits easily into a 16 space rack. 200' of 40 pair, plus a 40 pair monitor breakout in the hole.

• Members

+ 1 on the fan bag and get a case or something to keep it in- For years we just tossed the snake on the top of the load- stupid. Ross or TJ max has cheap luggage

I didn't realize what a small canvas bag with a drawstring could do until our friend/wannabe-soundman (haven't we all made that mistake?) decided it was "too much work" to get the fantail of the 16ch snake into the bag. After a few gig transports that way, we ended up resoldering two male XLRs on the tail.

Most of our mic cords were just connected end-to-end and put on a hose reel. That seemed to work pretty good without putting any twists/kinks into the cables.

Say, what can one do for a cable that's been improperly coiled (elbow-wrapped) and already has worn-in twists and kinks. I've found that it's very hard to over-under a cable that's already had a lifetime of improper wrapping. Is it a lost cause?

• Members
Say, what can one do for a cable that's been improperly coiled (elbow-wrapped) and already has worn-in twists and kinks. I've found that it's very hard to over-under a cable that's already had a lifetime of improper wrapping. Is it a lost cause?

On a hot day lay it out on the pavement and when good'n'hot straighten it out. Drag it (gently!) over on the lawn to cool and/or wait for the sun to go down :). Coil it proper when cool.

Archived