New to using a Snake

• Members

Just bought a 100ft snake for my set up. Never used one. Anything I should be aware of?

I know I'm going to get bashed cause its a livewire snake and not one of the more expensive ones.

But other than that, any tips, tricks and so on?

Its this one: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-Advantage-16x4-Combo-14XLRF-Input-with-TRS-Return-Snake?sku=331090

• Members

I'm not sure one can explain proper snake handling except in person. The better you treat it the better it will treat you. Try not to even have anyone step on it. The fanout in particular is extremely easy to damage, make sure you have a drawstring bag to put over it and bag it BEFORE you coil it. Do not hang the weight of the cable from the XLR connectors, use that strain relief it has or rig one with rope cord. It's hard to explain over/under - especially of a snake. Ideally have helpers walk the middle and fanout of the snake towards you as you coil it next to the stagebox, first loop normal and second coiled under itself so it doesn't kink.

Here's a Video about over/undering cables - maybe this can clue you into how to do it with a snake onto the floor or into a box /trunk/suitcase? Maybe somebody here has a better video they know about?

http://noolmusic.com/vimeo_videos/over_under_cable_wrap_technique.php

• Members

My 32x8x200' snake over-unders right into the back of the 16 space rack where my splitter lives. Plenty of room for the monitor trunk too. The rack is heavy but that's where the monitor board lives on top of so it's a dual use case.

• Members

My 32x8x200' snake over-unders right into the back of the 16 space rack where my splitter lives. Plenty of room for the monitor trunk too. The rack is heavy but that's where the monitor board lives on top of so it's a dual use case.

Here's a picture of a somewhat similar application:

http://www.audiopile.net/Technical_Library/Snake_in_a_box_pictures.htm

This works really well BTW: Get to the gig, flop the rack on it's face, spool-out however much snake trunk you need, pop the back cover on... poking the snake cable out the cut-out for the trunk on the back cover, right the case, remove the front cover and plug-in mic lines.

• Members

Over-under coiling is a great teschnique, it's also the same loop used for any rope or line that is thrown. However, it's not as easy to do laying the coil down, it's best done while holding the coils and these thick cables can get heavy enough to be a real bother. I over-under all my subsnakes and 12AWG power and speaker cables, BUT I figure eight my main snakes in a footlocker shaped box. I use plastic footlockers, fairly easy to find and saves a LOT of added weight. I cut "mouseholes" out on each end to be able to pull out however much cable I need and the stage box, leaving the excess cable in the box. I find it easier to show somebody figure-eighting compared to over-undering correctly.

Boomerweps

• Members

^^and is sort of the same way I do it. I always leave the head and fan on top in the tote... most of the cable with the head end in a figure 8 with the head on top and the fan with a few wraps of cable around the outside and easy to pull out to hook to the mixer.

• Members

One thing I don't get about the over under method, is that it seems like it wouldn't uncoil well compared to just coiling a cable up?

You guys ever watch Deadliest Catch? The way they roll those ropes up on the deck? That seems like the way to go, but I guess the over under is good for not having kinks?

• Members

One thing I don't get about the over under method, is that it seems like it wouldn't uncoil well compared to just coiling a cable up?

You guys ever watch Deadliest Catch? The way they roll those ropes up on the deck? That seems like the way to go, but I guess the over under is good for not having kinks?

If one side gets pulled through the wrong way you get a knot. But if done properly it wont knot or get tangled.

• CMS Author

An over-undered cable actually uncoils very easily, because the half-twist/half-untwist action keeps the cable from becoming twisted in one direction along it's entire length, which is what causes it to twist when you try to uncoil it, or by simply hanging it or laying down. The twist has a nasty tendency to pull the conductors in directions they don't want, and it makes them flex more than they need to....hence shorter life.

A properly over-undered cable, if properly stored (nice tight cable tie, for instance) will allow you to hold by the top, grab one end, and toss out across a stage floor, with no kinks at all. That's a wonderful thing.

It takes practice at all stages....coiling, storing, and deploying, but it will become second-nature.

The downside? You'll find yourself snickering at newbs wrapping cable over their wrist and elbow, then fighting a tangle of twists later (actually this is a plus...entertainment!). You'll strain your relationships with would-be helpful friends when you won't let them "help" you after a show. You'll piss-off your significant-other when you chastise her (him?) for how the weedwacker extension cord is stored......

Archived