Mic Electrocuting Singer

• Members

Hey guys, I know someone has the quick answer to this. I used to know how to solve this problem (in most cases) but I can't remember now, and our singer was getting the electric chair at band practice the other night.

Something about getting everything on the same circuit right?

• Members

You have a grounding issue somewhere, probably in one of the power outlets. Get a $5 outlet tester and check all of them. I had this same problem in my garage, and it took me about 30 minutes to find the bad outlet and fix it.

• CMS Author

He doesn't play guitar and all connectors are fine. He does use a TC Helicon Voice thing... not the corrector but the effects pedal.

Other than that he's just holding a mic.

There's a grounding problem in the system...whether it's the rig, or the building's, or both...plus there's either a component in the system that's got a fault to ground and causing a chassis to be 'hot', or there's a serious ground potential difference in the building grounds (one or more have a poor, high resistance connection to ground, others are okay) and you're system is plugged into them, plus there's a building fault to ground that's putting voltage into the system from that direction.

As you can see, there are many possibilities, and it can be tricky to sort out. But start by checking every plug for a ground pin, remove ALL ground adapter plugs, and get the $5 outlet tester that looks like a plug with 3 LED's, and test every outlet. If this doesn't reveal the problem, let us know what you find.

It goes without saying but I'll say it; don't use the system until you have this fixed and safe again. Those shocks are usually only irritating, but they have been deadly or debilitating.

• Members

What else is he touching when he gets shocked?

As far as I can tell, nothing. Once in a while he puts his foot up on my monitors, until I tell him to buy his own speakers if he wants to use them as a footrest.

• Members

It goes without saying but I'll say it; don't use the system until you have this fixed and safe again. Those shocks are usually only irritating, but they have been deadly or debilitating.

Truth. Anybody in the band using tube amps? :eek:

• Members

Truth. Anybody in the band using tube amps?
:eek:

I am. Marshall half stack. But we are plugged in across from each other. I used to get zapped when I'd hold my strings and touch the doorknob. That was always fun.

Archived