Monitor EQ Question

• Members

So my monitors right now are Behr 215As or something? Basically their low end powered cab.

I don't want to blow them out before I save up the funds to replace them one by one with k10s-12s.

The only thing I need running through the monitors is vocals and smidge of guitar.

Using my DBX231 EQs... what bands can I completely roll off to avoid any booms coming through?

Everything below...?

• Members

I pull all the sliders below 100hz down on the 231's and switch them to +-12db mode. I absolutely HATE that they don't have variable HPF's :mad:. I think the B215A's have EQ on them, I seem to remember turning down the low on them about half way when I used a pair for monitors once - seemed to work fine.

• Members

That all depends on the room acoustics where to cut boom frequencies. Plus the 231 is your tool for ringing those Behr's out. I think the only boom you might have is proximity effect from a singer, but that's just matter of mic technique.

Depending on the mic make, model, and brand and usually the cheaper the mic the more proximity effect and handling noise will occur.

• Members

That all depends on the room acoustics where to cut boom frequencies. Plus the 231 is your tool for ringing those Behr's out. I think the only boom you might have is proximity effect from a singer, but that's just matter of mic technique.

Depending on the mic make, model, and brand and usually the cheaper the mic the more proximity effect and handling noise will occur.

With only running vocals and guitar into the monitors, there is no reason to even have under 100Hz anyway.

• Members
With only running vocals and guitar into the monitors, there is no reason to even have under 100Hz anyway.

it also doesn't matter that much(except for maybe mic bleed) if you have the low cuts "on" for the channels going thru the monitors.

• Members

Do NOT cut all the sliders below 100, or 80 or 60 etc. Doing this does strange things to the phasing on the signal and a lot more technical stuff I can't remember right now. Use the low cut filter only and cut only, no boosting.

Archived