Speaking of Stage Building, any of your pros ever watch something like this happen?

• Members

Many years ago, a friend of mine walked off the front of a stage intop a pit (fortunately not at bottom level) and was sore for a month. I missed the edge of a stage about 25 years ago and took a 4' fall, was ok but sore as hell.

• Members

I haven't done it on a stage I don't think but several of my friends have.

Had one girl take about a 4' fall backwards hitting her head on a concrete wall and a metal handrail.

Had a guy put his leg through a platform, severing his ichelles.

Lots of getting bangged up on theatre ladders backstage.

• Members

Peter Frampton told this in a Guitar World interview; he said they always had a white line at the edge of the stage so you could tell where it was except for the time he ran out at the beginning of the show and ran right off of the edge of the stage, fell in between the crowd & the stage and split his pants at the crotch. This was back in the day when he wore pants so tight there was no room for underwear.

That's how you started shows in the 70's!!!

• Members

My dad once told me about a painter buddy of his. He put a small 1" lip on the edge of his scaffolding so he would feel the edge as he painted and wouldn't step off it.

Well his foot hit the lip, so his brain automatically told him "something's in the way, step over it".

Yeah that ended well.

• Members

Ouch, lots of painful stories...

Only thing I've done in my limited experience gigging is when I lost balanced and fell forward towards a wall, I didn't want to stop playing so I caught myself with my face on the wall and then jerked myself back upright.

Sweet goose egg on my forehead after that one.

• Members

Yellow gaff tape around any and all accessible edges, handrails anywhere possible.

I've told this story a million times, but my band was playing a club called the Reverb in Toronto. They have these huge early 90's meyer cabs flown over the subs on each side of the stage, with maybe 5'6" of clearance. During soundcheck I stepped up onto the subs from the stage and bumped my head on the cabs. I made a mental note not to do that... but during the show I got crazy, and during a certain apex of rock stardom, I hopped up on the subs and smashed my damn face off the bottom of the top boxes. I did this huge backflip off the stage and landed on my back, knocking a few concert goers over.

Funny thing is, I didn't even miss a note. I was wireless, so I was laying on the floor (soaked in beer and probably covered in broken glass) still playing the damn show.

• Members

A show I played about a month ago at a place in Citrus Heights had a stage with 3 levels. Drum riser in back, then the middle of the stage was the lowest portion, THEN the front was about 6 inches higher. Just waiting for someone to take a dive.

I couldn't believe the set up. I told the band, I'm standing still, I don't care about stage presence on this one, I'm not eating {censored}.

• Members

i fell out of the back of a box truck. broke a rib and fractured my arm, also since my immune system was compromised due t the injury i got a nasty sinus infection and ended up in the hospital a month later.

That sucks :( - hope you're OK now :).

One good thing about my hatchback is I haven't figured how to fall out of the back yet :lol:. Maybe all yous guys oughta sell off them dangerous trucks and get a nice safe hatchback like mine - just don't crash it :eek:. Can't say I'd wanna be in a box truck crash either :freak:.

• Members

ive only miss-stepped on a gig from a 3 foot stage and wedged my foot between the stage and a roadcase (which by the way doesnt feel good on a shin) but I was in monitor world at a gig and saw someone step up on a wedge and fall forward dragging the wedge with him, 5 feet down. Dumbass. At least it wasnt my equipment

• Members

In a pinto with a hatchback you got upwards of 1000lbs of equipment coming at you from the back. Yikes!

Oh, this reminds jme of something that happened to me about 35 years ago... was working in Wyoming on a sheep ranch and I was to drive a load of sheep back to the home pasture in an open 20' bed truck with high sides. Load up about 30 head, take off down the road (really rural, maybe 1 car per day on this road) and come to the (as in the only) stop sign and go to put on the brakes. First time driving w/ air brakes, look up in the rear view mirror (can see into the bed) and all I see is a wall of sheep coming at me. Yikes!

• Members

I was gathering mics on a stage after a gig, and I was bent down getting a SM-57 from a stand on the bottom of a Marshall Full Stack, and somehow the top cabinet AND the JCM-900 head came falling over on my back and the back of my head. A buddy and fellow crew member came running over and helped me. He said the stage was so flemsy, when I walked on that part of the stage, it all came tumbling down. Hurt like a bitch

• Members

Might have told this one.

Back in the late seventies I played a show lounge/strip club that had fallen on hard times. We still had to perform two floor shows a night, but the rest of the time the band just played whatever we wanted to, basically. It was six days a week, six hours a night, and early in the week it was pretty quiet.

The stage was a typical club stage, about 3' high, but with a 2' high side wall.

So one particularly slow night, the band was playing (and I'm singing) a slow blues, probably Personal Manager by Albert King. I notice that all of a sudden, I can't hear the bass. I look over to where the bass player had been sitting (on the side wall) and I don't see him! Then I hear a strange scratching, thump sound. Then I see a hand and the head stock of a bass climbing over the side wall.

Turns out the bass player had fallen asleep and taken a tumble over the side. He actually didn't hurt himself, and maybe because he had one of those plexiglass basses, his instrument was okay as well.

Considering that the club was usually full of pimps, hookers, heroin addicts and transvestites (big muscular ones), that was one of the tamer events to happen there.

At least I can say I actually backed up Lottie the Body there (see Standing In The Shadows of Motown).

• Members

We had a ratchet strap holding a popup tent to the edge of the stage. My foot snagged the strap, I fell about 5' onto the pavement, catching a road case on the way down. Coulda been worse - pride hurt more than anything.

-Dan.

We had a light guy working with us a few summers ago that was ratcheting down a strap holding the bottom edge of a backdrop to the deck. It was kind of windy that day and apparently the tension on the hook end of the ratchet strap was a little bit too much.... SNAP went the hook, and the end of the strap (minus the very end of the hook) went whipping up and back right into the poor guys crotch. He got hit so hard he ended up right off his feet and flat on his back :eek:... well for a couple of seconds anyway before tightly rolling into a fetal position. :facepalm:

He ended up ok, but couldn't walk real well for a couple of days.

• Members

I told the band, I'm standing still, I don't care about stage presence on this one, I'm not eating {censored}.

Good call.

I've always got a roll of yellow gaff tape with me (among my other standard sound guy stuff in my "box of tricks") so whenever I play at a new venue I'll walk the stage and check for any hazards... I'll tape down any stray cables, mark the edges of the stage or any risers/ledges, and usually inform the band of any danger spots to stay away from. If there's a weak or flimsy section of the stage, I'll mark down a square around it with yellow tape and maybe put an X on the inside, as a reminder not to step there.

• Members

The only time I've hurt my self on a gig was when we were setting up on a small corner stage in a restaurant. When I say small stage, I mean the drum kit filled it so the rest of the band spilled out onto the floor. Well it was getting close to their time to open doors so I'm rushing around finishing up but the "lights" were still aimed back in the corner and I wanted them on the front line so I borrowed their ladder and working around a table or two, I went up a couple steps but couldn't quite reach so I took one more step up and stuck my head right into the full blast ceiling fan.:facepalm:

Thwack, thwack, thwack and down I went.

I've still got a dent in my forehead. Winston

Archived