Can someone point me to the right DI

• Members

Yes it does. I don't know much about what that means... here comes some ignorance...

It was my understanding that if you use the line input on the mixwiz you just press the pad button... so is this an ATT? I swear I've already tried plugging his bass in through his head into the mixwiz with the pad switched and its still loud as hell. :

• Members

Yes it does. I don't know much about what that means... here comes some ignorance...

It was my understanding that if you use the line input on the mixwiz you just press the pad button... so is this an ATT? I swear I've already tried plugging his bass in through his head into the mixwiz with the pad switched and its still loud as hell. :

A stereo DI is never a bad thing to have on hand. You can just use one channel for bass or you could use it at a later date for a stereo keyboard hook up. Essentially the same product with a 2 channel option. Like I said, definitely won't hurt you to have it handy.

As far as your channel strip pad goes. Yes, if you need to use the line input on the channel the pad switch should be pressed. However, if you are just using the XLR input, it will function as a standard pad for that channel. I think it's a -20db pad on the A&H's

• Members

"Look boss, de manual, de manual"

Page 13 of your manual will explain what others have already told you.

The pad/line level switch acts as a pad with an XLR plugged in.

I use the pad for my bass player, otherwise his signal is way too hot. And as you may infer, I don't use a DI. It could be a bit risky if I accidentally depress the phantom power, but as the guy falling out of a tall building said - "so far so good" (Mag7).

• Members

Well it did basically what I thought it did... but I hate stating things on this forum as if I know them 100%

But I'll re-read page 13 JIC.

I just don't want to fry anything... unless its eggs... with bacon.

• Members

Can someone point me to the right DI?

It's over there -> not to the left but on the other side.

But seriously, The EWI DI should do you just fine (40db is like taking a speaker level down to line level). A DI is a good idea anyway as it keeps everything nicely balanced and isolated.

• Members

If your wanting a bass DI why not get a DI box design specifically for bass guitar? Like a ToneBone bass DI or Sansamp bass DI and add a little spice in the mix since both will color the sound and add some extra texture.

Just throwing you a something to think about.

• Members

If your wanting a bass DI why not get a DI box design specifically for bass guitar? Like a ToneBone bass DI or Sansamp bass DI and add a little spice in the mix since both will color the sound and add some extra texture.

Just throwing you a something to think about.

Meh, personally can't say I agree with this. If you go that route, then all you have is a bass preamp. If you go with a standard DI, you allow for so many other applications when you find that you need it.

• Members

You really need to use that Pad on the MixWiz.

I run the same thing.

Active bass-Line6-DI-A&H Mixwiz with pad on.

I also do this for a Line 6 Pod Pro.

In both cases the signal is HOTTTTT!

Thumbs up on the EWI from Audiopile.

That's where I got mine.

Southpaw Kings play the Gold Country Fair on Saturday Sept 11th.

Auburn Ca.

• Members

You said you are plugging the bass into his head and into the Mixwiz. Does that mean you are already coming out of the head into the Mixwiz? Is it a balanced XLR input or an unbalanced TS plug? If you have a head that is really hot, you should check if the head output has a pre/post setting? If it does, I always set it to PRE so that amp adjustments don't change my gain settings. Just something to check....

• Members

Meh, personally can't say I agree with this. If you go that route, then all you have is a bass preamp. If you go with a standard DI, you allow for so many other applications when you find that you need it.

True dat, good point :thu: I guess that was I'm a bassist train of thought suggestion. :p

• Members

If I had to go out and buy new DI's it would be athe EWI stereo passive ones and the EWI active single channel ones. Whirlwind IMPs are great for the value as well. I guess I can't really justify spending $100-200 on a DI.

OP: the best you can do in a situation is bring a stereo DI with:

1/8 to dual RCA (with RCA to 1/4 adaptors) 6ft long

RCA to 1/4 (left & right)

1/4 to 1/4 TS (left & right)

and if you're really geeky then get some:

XLRF to 1/4 TRS (left & right)

The DI doesn't have to change, but the cabling can be changed easily. Cables cost less and weigh less too. The problem with buying the fancy DI's with 1/8 inputs is finding an 1/8 to 1/8 cable! (I don't think I have any)...

• Members

I picked up the stereo passive DI from audiopile. The bass amp does have a pre/post switch and its own ground/lift too. But no combo we use has ever made the signal "cool" enough to use. Don't know what it is...

Archived