What 5 Vocal Mics?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hey, just as an aside - how does the Mercenary modded SM-57 sound compared to an SM-57 that has had its transformer removed and not replaced?

That's a good question. I don't recall ever having used a 57/58 without the transformer. According to wikipedia, removing the transformer boosts the LF response and drops the output by ~10dB. I imagine that once phantom power is applied to both, the difference in sound would increase dramatically. :p

-Dan.

• Members

I would rather have 5 matching mics than 5 different mics.

In order of what to bring:
1) Artist requested ____ Mic - He's paying to make you feel confident on stage
2) Beta 58 - "everyone" likes these and no one rejects them
3) OM5 - sound better than Beta58
4) OM7 - Drummer's mic
5) SM58 - Tried & True

• Members

I'm surprised there was only one mention of the Heil PR35. On one fairly recent thread there was lots of enthusiasm for the PR35's low end, articulate mid-highs, etc., with a lot of gushing about how much better than the 58 it is.

I know there's pricier mics out there, but in the $250 and under price range, how does it hold up as a live vocal mic? (oops, just went back and read the OP topic: 5 best vocal mics. I just assumed y'all were talking about LIVE vocal mics)

In any case, We All Live In A Yellow Submarine, so whatever mic is suggested it better have good GBF!

• Members

ok, 5 mics only?
1 EV 868 on kick and 4 beta 58 wireless ULX systems. If I only get 4 vocal mics then I want something I don't have to string cable everywhere.

When I do the very small PA on a stick it's 4 wireless ATW2120 handhelds, a small yamaha or behringer mixer and a power amp. that's it.

• Members

But now there's a food shortage because they brought a Yellow Submarine and all their friends are all onboard. Many more of them ....

No food shortage here, Eat the Walrus! Lots of good protien & calories I would think. Tackling it might not be too much fun though (I guess that's what friends are for).

5 mics OUCH!

If you mean 5 mics ONLY, I'd probably want B58s (not quite as warm as the SM58 but better rejection). A Shure mic would also probably out last all of the others. Especially in that humid tropical climate (you DID mean a tropical Isle didn't you? - Otherwise, count me out).

If you meant 5 different mics then the choices would be:

1)Shure SM58

2)Shure B58

3)Audix OM7

4)EV BK1

5)Neumann M149 (sweetest vocal mic made (ELA M251s are nice but a bit bright).

• Members

No 1 would have to be the Neumann kms 105, I have used it this past 3/4 years and I love it. I has packed in on me last week and I had to sent it back to dealer to see if it can be repaired and in the meantime i am using Ev nd 767 and its not in the same league at all. I definitely miss the 105

• Members

I am a small mic nerd so I figured I have to respond...

I am going with choosing 5 different vocal mics but a number of each:

- (3) Senneisher e945

- (3) Sennheiser e935

- (1) Heil PR-35

- (1) Neumann KMS105

- (3) SM58

If only given the choice of 5 vocal mics total:

- (3) Sennheiser e935

- (1) Neumann KMS105

- (1) Heil PR-35

Take Care,

Phil

• Members

OK Craig, so you are stuck on this island with the Beatles......

OK, so we are talking about some strange Zombie island where the dead Beatles run free.

That would be John, George, and Ringo....Ringo's dead, Right?

Well!

We'll just say he is.

Anyways.

I will need 5 really heavy mics.

Something capable of caving in their zombie heads before they eat my brains.

I'm thinking some of those early Elvis Shure mics, or even some Shure 52's

Oh!

I'll need some mic stands, I don't want to get too close when I am crushing the zombies.

Archived