OK, what is the real truth about underpowering speakers?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Again, bull{censored}. You wrote that you "hear it on here from time to time". So you've read discussions enough to have determined that we "usually" do, which you claim is sidestepping the issue.

I'm hammering you on this because this topic comes up so often, and because at least one of us always gives a complete answer.

OK Craig, what I meant that everytime I have seen this brought it is usually the response such as, "not this again". Has it been brought up in detail? I'm sure it has but I stay busy with other things and do not get to this forum as often as most others. Excuse me for asking the question. :rolleyes:

Most people who have nothing to add to a discussion will ignore it at least that is what I do. Some people, such as yourself, have to come off as being superior and more knowledgable. The classier and more professional folks on this forum who have more knowledge and experience than others (re: Andy) take the time to explain it again even though they have probably done it dozens of time. They are the real pros but I suspect you wouldn't understand that.

• Members

OK Craig, what I meant that everytime
I
have seen this brought it is usually the response such as, "not this again". Has it been brought up in detail? I'm sure it has but I stay busy with other things and do not get to this forum as often as most others. Excuse me for asking the question.
:rolleyes:

Most people who have nothing to add to a discussion will ignore it at least that is what I do. Some people, such as yourself, have to come off as being superior and more knowledgable. The classier and more professional folks on this forum who have more knowledge and experience than others (re: Andy) take the time to explain it again even though they have probably done it dozens of time. They are the real pros but I suspect you wouldn't understand that.

Being rude to the moderator probably isn't a good plan.

To me the whole concept is ridiculous. I'm surprised it even needs explanation.

• CMS Author

OK Craig, what I meant that everytime
I
have seen this brought it is usually the response such as, "not this again". Has it been brought up in detail? I'm sure it has but I stay busy with other things and do not get to this forum as often as most others. Excuse me for asking the question.

Why wouldn't I understand that?

What did I write that made you think I "have to come off as being superior and more knowledgable." Be specific.

I suggest you back off the clever but cowardly insults and attitude. You came in here accusing the forum of sidestepping a question multiple times, and now you're getting insulting to me for calling you on it. That doesn't fly here. Read #9 in the forum guidelines sticky.

• Members

Underpowering has been answered ad nauseam. Probably asked about 6 to 8 times a year and always seemed to get answered. It does get old but the search (non) function cuts a little slack. I rarely see questions and issues avoided. Sometimes the answer is very short and to the point, but ithe question was answered.

• Members

Bull{censored}. It's been fully explained here dozens of times over the years.

i took that reply as truthful and to the point but also as kind of pissy and short. I do the same thing in real life all of the time, and often get in trouble for it. I didn't think it was out of line but it could easily be seen as you calling him out for not looking very hard, maybe rightfully so. Either way I was not surprised when he seemed defensive toward you later on in the thread. You kind of set yourself up for it in my eyes.

• Members

Why wouldn't I understand that?

What did I write that made you think I "have to come off as being superior and more knowledgable." Be specific.

I suggest you back off the clever but cowardly insults and attitude. You came in here accusing the forum of sidestepping a question multiple times, and now you're getting insulting to me for calling you on it. That doesn't fly here. Read #9 in the forum guidelines sticky.

Craig, you're the mod on this forum so I will be the bigger man on this and simply walk away from this discussion. Though I disagree with your statements (accusations?) as the mod I can see how this is weighted to your advantage so I'll just drop it.

• CMS Author

Craig, you're the mod on this forum so I will be the bigger man on this and simply walk away from this discussion. Though I disagree with your statements (accusations?) as the mod I can see how this is weighted to your advantage so I'll just drop it.

Why? You can't discuss the issue without breaking rules? You should have dropped it before you decided to be personally insulting.

• Members

Why? You can't discuss the issue without breaking rules? You should have dropped it before you decided to be personally insulting.

Craig, didn't you hear me? I said I'd drop it. You win. All you have to do is just let it go. I'm good with it. We can still run, jump and play together can't we?

• CMS Author

earlier

i took that reply as truthful and to the point but also as kind of pissy and short. I do the same thing in real life all of the time, and often get in trouble for it. I didn't think it was out of line but it could easily be seen as you calling him out for not looking very hard, maybe rightfully so. Either way I was not surprised when he seemed defensive toward you later on in the thread. You kind of set yourself up for it in my eyes.

He made the claim, and I called it "bull{censored}". That was a direct reply to the claim, and my reply that "it's been fully explained" (as opposed to being side stepped) addresses this. Yes, it was short and too the point; it didn't need all this hooplah. That he went further without showing any evidence (like linking old threads) to support it was over the top for me.

And he should have been defensive, no doubt about that....he needed to defend his statement. A lot of people here go out of their way to answer the same questions year after year, with detail and clarity and tailored to the requester's personal situation. They don't deserve to be accused of side-stepping an issue.

• CMS Author

Craig, didn't you hear me? I said I'd drop it. You win. All you have to do is just let it go. I'm good with it. We can still run, jump and play together can't we?

We can always run, jump and play. Nothing here is personal, ever. There's no win or lose. The problem is in responses intended to be insulting. If you can't avoid them, then you can't play here.

In case is isn't evident, I am very proud of the people who contribute to make this a great forum, and I defend their work. And on the other side of the coin, if anyone f's up, I need to see it and correct it if possible. If people blow off questions, that's a real problem, and I need to see it and make it stop.

• Members

We can always run, jump and play. Nothing here is personal, ever. There's no win or lose. The problem is in responses intended to be insulting. If you can't avoid them, then you can't play here.

In case is isn't evident, I am very proud of the people who contribute to make this a great forum, and I defend their work. And on the other side of the coin, if anyone f's up, I need to see it and correct it if possible. If people blow off questions, that's a real problem, and I need to see it and make it stop.

"I try to get out but they keep dragging me right back in.":)

OK, I told myself I would not respond but you have this irresistible nature about you.

You make the claim that this subject has been discussed to the point that nobody ever wants to hear it again. I will not argue with that because you are probably right. You will also notice that I have only been around HC for a year and on this forum part of that I believe on this forum.

OK, now that we have that out of the way.

I will tell you, based on my own experience, that everytime that I have seen someone bring this up, usually in a reply to a post or a thread drift, they usually get, "not this again" or :rolleyes::bor: or a :facepalm: or another type of comment. If you do a search you will find this to be true. That is all I have personally seen. As I said, I am not a full timer here and only come to learn as there are some really bright people here.

A freind of mine was telling me something about this the other day and gave a reason for this. Come to find out, after Andy's explination, my friend was wrong and I trust Andy much more on this subject.

Craig, you then come out of the chute with this "bull{censored}" charge. This is something I would not expect from a mod but you said it. I merely responded that based on what you said you were taking the high and mighty, all knowing stance and didn't once think that maybe this newbie (me) might really want a real answer and not be treated to the responses as I stated above.

I can tell you that I, as well as many people, get their hackles up when someone resorts to using this type of rhetoric. I will go on the record as saying, "I'm sorry" if I offended you but you also had a dog in this fight. I didn't start it but I will certainly bow out of it.

• CMS Author

I will tell you, based on my own experience, that everytime that I have seen someone bring this up, usually in a reply to a post or a thread drift, they usually get, "not this again" or
:rolleyes::bor:
or a
:facepalm:
or another type of comment. If you do a search you will find this to be true.

Aye, but you're the one telling me this happens. Show me. And you're telling me that you've seen these replies, and nobody else addresses the issue? You claim multiple threads where nobody addressed the question.

BTW.....if there's an issue like this, it should be brought up at that time...not weeks, months, or years later. Report posts or threads...it's the small red and white triangle below the poster's info on the left of the post.

• Members
The problem is in responses intended to be insulting. If you can't avoid them, then you can't play here.

Which is exactly what your first response was. I realize you're the moderator of this forum, but what compels you to feel as though you need to respond, especially in that manner?

• Members

OK, I told myself I would not respond but you have this irresistible nature about you.

You make the claim that this subject has been discussed to the point that nobody ever wants to hear it again. I will not argue with that because you are probably right. You will also notice that I have only been around HC for a year and on this forum part of that I believe on this forum.

OK, now that we have that out of the way.

I will tell you, based on my own experience, that everytime that I have seen someone bring this up, usually in a reply to a post or a thread drift, they usually get, "not this again" or
:rolleyes::bor:
or a
:facepalm:
or another type of comment. If you do a search you will find this to be true. That is all I have personally seen. As I said, I am not a full timer here and only come to learn as there are some really bright people here.

A freind of mine was telling me something about this the other day and gave a reason for this. Come to find out, after Andy's explination, my friend was wrong and I trust Andy much more on this subject.

Craig, you then come out of the chute with this "bull{censored}" charge. This is something I would not expect from a mod but you said it. I merely responded that based on what you said you were taking the high and mighty, all knowing stance and didn't once think that maybe this newbie (me) might really want a real answer and not be treated to the responses as I stated above.

I can tell you that I, as well as many people, get their hackles up when someone resorts to using this type of rhetoric. I will go on the record as saying, "I'm sorry" if I offended you but you also had a dog in this fight. I didn't start it but I will certainly bow out of it.

If you don't come here much and don't see this same question being answered time and time again, why did your first post begin with this comment? I hear it on here from time to time and instead of anyone giving a real reason they usually just side step the issue.

• Members
Thank you for you technical expertise by providing an clear and consise answer to my question.
I'll just assume that you just don't know the answer.

-------

no, it means, take your speaker's RMS power rating. Then look for an amp that puts out a similar amount of RMS power at your speaker's impedance.

Archived