This can replace a music stand on stage...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whoa... as someone who keeps thinking about doing the solo act thing, that would be awesome as I could set up PDF's with lyrics and chords for songs I wouldn't play very often.

Yeah, like I can afford an iPad.

Yeah, like I am going to get off my butt and start playing again.

Not while I am still doing sound for a second income.

• Members

As soon as I can afford an iPad I will be getting something like that. I mostly want it for chord sheets that I use when playing at my church, but being able to put set lists and cheat sheets without it looking so obvious is just another reason I want one.

Plus there are tons of apps that you can use as well. I think these will gain popularity very quickly.

• Members

OK, I hate music stands on stage. They are totally unprofessional and look like crap.

Then I see this and I want it. It can be lyrics, music, setlist, heck, even interactive requests from the crowd. It is small enough not to be obtrusive and techie enough to be cool...

http://www.macworld.com/article/155488/2010/11/iklip_ipad.html

Ok, 1st of all - what have you got against music stands? I'll admit, the old beat up rusty heavy-duty school orchestra ones aren't all too hip but, like many of my musical associates I use one of the cool new tubular, foldup jobbies - nice black finish, looks fine.

2nd of all - having an iPad iKlip, or whatever the hell is it is, showing PDF's of lead sheets or lyrics... isn't that pretty much the same as having music on a stand only it's hip and electronic? :confused::lol:

• Members

Ok, 1st of all - what have you got against music stands? I'll admit, the old beat up rusty heavy-duty school orchestra ones aren't all too hip but, like many of my musical associates I use one of the cool new tubular, foldup jobbies - nice black finish, looks fine.

2nd of all - having an iPad iKlip, or whatever the hell is it is, showing PDF's of lead sheets or lyrics... isn't that pretty much the same as having music on a stand only it's hip and electronic?
:confused::lol:

Ahhh...the music stand debate. There are several threads that go many pages into the debate. For me, it's ok for duo's and one man band type gigs. Guys that are taking requests and maybe have 750 songs in their repetoire. But for bands you need to know 40-60 tunes. If you need a cheat sheet for a new tune and tape it to the monitor that's one thing. But having a music stand front and center seems to indicate you haven't memorized the set and more importantly, aren't engaging the audience and entertaining.

Oh...the IPAD stand is a less intrusive version of the same thing. I think it's cool because our guitarist uses his IPAD as a keyboard synth and is always struggling to find a good place to hold it while he plays it.

BTW...not looking to start a war on this....if you guys use a music stand out front and it works for you...more power to ya. I don't think it would work for OUR band (cover, party band) and bands like us.

• Members

The great thing about the iPad is that it can be used for so many different things. The audience doesnt need to know that it is a cheat sheet. Use an app on it so the people think that is used for an effect, then pull your PDF back up after you are done. I saw a band that used an autotune app on their iPhones. They had them on stands clipped to their mics pretty much like that iKlip.

• Members

I don't want to hijack this thread but -

I have never been able to remember lyrics. If I learned a song all the way thru it was because I worked on it for weeks. BTW, I am now 60 so the problem isn't getting any better.

Until -

About two or so months ago I started taking an herb called Ginkgo biloba. I have never been into this herb stuff but I said, "what the hell". I'm not sure what the hell this stuff does but I can remember lyrics just like falling off a log now. The other night night while watching TV I learned the lyrics to two songs in about an hour and a half. Amazing stuff.

• Members

Well, considering the iPad is a multi-use device and can be had for as little as $500, it seems a reasonable way to go (esp. if you've already got one). I've seen some dedicated tablets for sheet music that ran +$800.

I wonder though- hows the visibility outside? Is there a universal format that sheet and lyrics are delivered in? Are there particular apps already for these applications?

• Members

Depending on the venue, I'd be worried that someone would steal the iPad. So then I'm carrying this thing around with me every break, or trying to hide it on stage. Having said that, I do leave my netbook on stage, but they're a dime a dozen, no bling factor to them.

Anyway, the nice thing about paper is that no one's going to steal some old yellow sheet music - well if they did it normally wouldn't be a tragedy.

• Members

I use a personal mic stand-mounted monitor when I play and occasionally a girl with a devious look on her face will come up and put her hand over the speaker side while I am singing, thinking she is keeping me from seeing the words

ha - that's funny... bitches be craaaaazy :facepalm::lol:

• Members

No.

Just no.

If you need a music stand - or a really expensive Apple version of a music stand - you probably don't need to be onstage. If I paid money to see you and you were using this apparatus, I might just demand my money back.

Have you ever seen a horn band without music stands? I haven't. (other than Chicago and what a great show that was) I can never figure out why a horn section can have "horn charts" but no one else. How about a pit orchestra for a Broadway Play. Have you paid for those tickets? How about Classical ensembles, Quartets. Could never figure out why everyone except a Rock Band can have music.

This is an area I have been struggling with. Been an electric rock guitarist all my life and never used music (or a stand). I happen to be trying to learn enough to do a Solo/Duo act and am having a hard time with the Lyrics. I never sand this much in days past. In fact I've been looking for a light for a music stand. (Check out this site and let me know if you think they are any good. http://www.lampcraft.com/batterymusiclightsbylampcraft.aspx )

I don't know the answer for guys like me (or gals) BUT I know the answer ISN'T to beat me over the head or to tell me "you probably don't need to be onstage!" :cop:

• Members

I've got no issues with the music stand onstage. If you need one - you need one. Lots of guys are able to use one without it being a conspicuous crutch - which I feel is fine. Put a music stand in front of you and then bury your face in it all night long - then it's a completely different discussion.

My old age and the fact that I'm working with multiple acts (each with 100+ tune playlists of "active" material) - I'm coming to grips with the reality that memory is a finite resource. As a result - I've gotten in the habit of creating simple charts for many (if not most) of the new tunes I learn. I create them in Word and print them on 5 x 8 cards which I then assemble into a small "book" that sits inconspicously on a flat area on my upper keyboard. I made a small support that attaches to my keyboard stand and holds my laptop that I use when I'm learning tunes and creating my charts. I couldn't imagine trying to use it "live" though - simply because it takes to long to navigate between pages, find songs, etc. (especially if we deviate from the set list!).

The iPad / iKlip thing looks like an interesting approach. I haven't yet played with an iPad yet - so I don't have a feel for how easy it is to navigate between pages, documents, etc.

• Members

I've got no issues with the music stand onstage. If you need one - you need one. Lots of guys are able to use one without it being a conspicuous crutch - which I feel is fine. Put a music stand in front of you and then bury your face in it all night long - then it's a completely different discussion.

+1

This is where I've finally come to. Our lead singer needs her lyric book, or her heroin as my wife calls it.:lol: For years it bugged me seeing it on stage and packing the music stand in the trailer.

But in the end I realized it was my issue not hers. In the eight years I've been mixing them, no one has ever even mentioned it, let alone complained about it effecting their enjoyment of the performance. The fact is that it helps her perform because it helps her not worry about it and she is very good at not letting it be a distraction to the audience. Most people don't even notice it as she keeps it flat and down pretty low.

Would I still like to see it go, sure. But it really is me that is bothered, not our audience. If it really bothered that many people, we wouldn't have pulled in almost $350 in tips last night in a 60 seat room.:thu:

Either the band puts on a good show, or it doesn't. Other musicians are the only ones who care if there are stands around.:lol:

Winston

Archived