Thoughts on new PV Impulse 12D

• Members

The spec sheet in the above link show it as 39lbs. I think earlier press releases showed the ligher weight.

That post/link wasn't there when I posted... I'm surprised it's that heavy actually... given that it's an IPR tech. amp and a Neo LF driver.

That narrow 30 degree vertical coverage would be ideal in a couple of rooms I can think of where keeping sound out of the rafters is ESSENTIAL.

• Members

That's fairly large plastic cabinet, so 39lbs seems about right. I'd say the cabinet is the bulk of the weight. You want enough stiffness in the cabinet that it can transfer the energy from the speaker to the front of the cabinet efficiently. You also don't want the cabinet flopping around absorbing energy, it also has to dampen the back wave from the driver.

• Members

Hey SoundMan.... Any idea what the crossover point is? Also, I'm curious how loud the box can get with a single ribbon driver. The Versarray boxes each have 2 of the ribbon drivers in them. My quick math says that's 100% more ribbon driver than in the Impulse.

Lastly, I saw the 26 lbs several months ago and wondered how that could be. Later I came across the higher number. My RCF's are as light a speaker as I've come across in a high output 12" speaker and they too are around 39 lbs.

• Members

Hey SoundMan.... Any idea what the crossover point is? Also, I'm curious how loud the box can get with a single ribbon driver. The Versarray boxes each have 2 of the ribbon drivers in them. My quick math says that's 100% more ribbon driver than in the Impulse.

Comparing the the Versaray is probably not a great one. LF patter control increases effective LF sensitivity (in a long enough hang) so there must be enough driver to keep up in this case. Also, for a line array to be effective, the HF section must be continuous as well, so the combination of the two factors makes this seem reasonable to me.

• Members

We've been hearing about these for a while now. Are they actually available yet? Hopefully the Peavey dealer in my area gets a pair and I can have a listen at some point. Unlike my Yorkville dealer, the Peavey dealer doesn't let anyone try out anything outside the store so that kind of sucks. I had asked if I could try out an EQ last year and the answer was a firm no. I'm currently testing the Samson Auro 12, but would much higher quality powered cab to test. So far, simply no speaker can quite match the beautiful sound of my RCFs. (mid and top end of course) Many of my cabs have stronger bass, but man that RCF horn simply sounds magnificent. :thu:

Al

• Members

The Versarray boxes each have 2 of the ribbon drivers in them. My quick math says that's 100% more ribbon driver than in the Impulse.

There have been improvements to the ribbon drivers ... couple dB more sensitivity and a couple dB more power handling. The Versarray had more output from the ribbons than from the woofer and was padded down anyways.

• Members

There have been improvements to the ribbon drivers ... couple dB more sensitivity and a couple dB more power handling. The Versarray had more output from the ribbons than from the woofer and was padded down anyways.

I've heard home stereo application ribbon drivers and they sound very good, but I've never heard them in sound reinforcement. So how's the throw of a ribbon driver compared to a 1" or 2" exit traditional compression driver?

What's the crossover frequency?

What's with the "BOSE like" lack of specs for this particular speaker? :confused:

• Members

Peavey is not always on the ball in regards to keeping their web site current. Hopefully, they will get the manual with complete specs soon.

I was rather frustrated this week - went to a music store and they had an actual 12D on the wall, but their patching system was down and I could not get a listen to the darn speaker. Grr.

• Members

Yes, they're shipping.

How about this?

Frequency response: 52 Hz to 20 kHz

Low frequency limit (-3 dB point): 60 Hz

Usable low frequency limit (-10 dB point): 52 Hz

Internal power amplifiers (@120 VAC line):

Woofer - 1100 watts peak available power

Continuous Power: 550 watts @ less than 1% distortion

Tweeter - 150 watts peak available power

Continuous Power: 75 watts @ less than 1% distortion.

Nominal sensitivity (1W @1M, swept

sine input in anechoic environment): 100 dB (average)

Maximum sound pressure level: 131 dB music peak

Nominal radiation angles: 100? horizontal by 15? vertical

Transducer complement:

12" Neodymium Dual Voice Coil Scorpion

Archived