Scary Show in Sacramento

• Members

Thought some of the locals might find this interesting:

I went to see a band called Giant Squid on Saturday. The venue is a car tinting place on Arden. Everyone kept emphasizing that it was a "party" not a "show." Though they're charging at the door and have a full bar open, which despite the amount of children running around, didn't card anyone. Since risk management is my living, I also noticed the lack of fire exits and exit signs in general. I imagined the place going up in a blaze and no one being able to make it out.

Also the sound was awful. No subs. Sound guy is running the sound from side stage. Making adjustments, walking out in front, listening, then walking back. Constant low feedback from the kick.

They say they're going to try and have these parties "once a month." I'm teetering on calling the Fire Dept and saying guys you need to check into this... not to mention ABC, and the Police.

How often do you think this kind of insane business practice occurs?!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I exist in the underground... and while I can't speak for Sac, I know that when we throw an event, we constantly think about safety, Fire Exits, and the like. This sounds like a questionable venue, not to mention they obviously don't have a liquor license - but going to the authorities? well, that's your call, but that could put someone in Jail. This will get broken up soon enough. The only way I would pssoibly intervene is if they we aerving underage kids, and then I would walk up to the promoter and remind him about how the laws work, and how he's liable for Kids who drink & drive under his watch.

tread cautiously, and if you do elect to go to the authorities, don't post it here, because people get awfully sore at that kind of stuff.

T

• Members

Yeah, we had parties when I was in HS.

This was 40 year old men having a show with a full bar in a place of busines in a business district with kids from ages 5 up.

Maybe its just me that found it amazing that someone would take such risks. Not carding anyone, no wristbands for 21+, no lit exit signs, ONE exit only.

I guess I'll just watch it crash and burn and hope nothing happens.

• Members

A decision like that is a personal choice. I wouldn't have any problem at all calling the authorities if I thought there was a safety issue. And yes you probably would carry a great deal of burden if someone was hurt and you could have stopped it. Can't tell you what to do, that's not my place but I know what I would do.

TW

• CMS Author

Yeah, we had parties when I was in HS.

This was 40 year old men having a show with a full bar in a place of busines in a business district with kids from ages 5 up.

Maybe its just me that found it amazing that someone would take such risks. Not carding anyone, no wristbands for 21+, no lit exit signs, ONE exit only.

I guess I'll just watch it crash and burn and hope nothing happens.

I don't see any reason to feel guilty about calling the authorities in on this. If it's safe and legal, they'll allow it to remain. If not, then maybe you saved a life. If not, so what? Some 40-somethings might lose out on tax-free income? Yeah, I'd feel terrible about that...

• Members

If I witnessed an unsafe environment whether it be alcohol, fire etc. or all og the above I would make the calls in a heartbeat. Remember that club back east that had the fire that killed all of those people? It has been mentioned but how about kids leaving, getting behind the wheel drunk. Keeping your mouth shut and not wanting to be a trouble maker in this situation ain't cool.

JMHO

• Members

If it's safe and legal, they'll allow it to remain.

Not in this town. Seriously, I've dealt with several events where all permits are in order and whatnot that were still shut down. Most recently I had a small bar show at a fully licensed venue shut down because, the security, who were labeled, bonded, and supplied in excess of the legal requirements, were also not labeled on their backs. I'm dead serious.

This thing is as good as done.

• CMS Author

Telecruiser, the venue was The Station, in Warwick, RI, and the band was Great White. The fire was touched off by stage pyrotechnics, burned the sound-reducing insulation surrounding the stage, and resulted in 100 deaths. The entire club was engulfed in 5 minutes. Over 31 victims were found literally piled up on each other in a short hallway leading to a blocked exit door.

• Members

Do you know what place I'm referring to Soul?

Nope.

But I do know of a few underground venues in town. I'm not going to hint at any here, but I do think the heavy handed regulation of legitimate venues in this town has given them a little rise.

• Members

Tele, I LIVE back east, less than 20 miles from the former club. I had friends at that show. The place was called The Station and 100 people lost their lives. Most burned in the alcove stacked up in the main entrance. People on the bottom of the pile were screaming for help until they just suffocated from the weight of the people on top of them. People on the top burned to a crisp. One of my friends still cries himself to sleep cuz he was there and couldn't do anything to help - he hears their screams in his sleep... he regularly sees a shrink and will be messed up for the rest of his life.

Similar situation tho, 40-somethingish owners in it strictly for the money, doin stupid {censored} (like buying {censored} similar to eggcrate matress covers, spray painting them black - with multiple layers of spray paint, mounting it on the walls and calling it "sound deadening material"; keeping one of the double doors at the entrance locked; having a table in the alcove to prevent crashers, etc, etc,). Hell, they didn't even have an active workers comp policy for their employees (got slammed with a $1 million fine - largest in state history). Do the research, look it up... it's all online. Lawsuits are still going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

mrcpro - that's no excuse and frankly, I'm offended by your reaction. When stupid {censored} happens, people can die. This ain't no video game where you can respawn after doing something stupid.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant and that I'm getting a little hot but I remember that night vividly despite the fact that it was almost eight years ago. I drive by the memorial (where the club used to be) at least once a month because of my work and all I can think is "I could just as easily have been there... that could have been me." Never to see my wife and kids again. Christ, I'm getting choked up just sitting here typing this.

Dude, if you think it's dangerous - CALL IT IN. There ain't no amount of fun worth dying for.

Stix

• Members

Safety is paramount full stop. If you think it is wrong then by all means say something. At least make mention of it and get if off your chest in hope something may be done.

I just watched that Station fire video, nasty indeed, I'm shocked and saddened. Every club owner, staff member, band member and crew needs to watch that and get something from it, then apply it to the work environment.

• Members

Call the owner and mention the problems that you noticed. While there are a lot of assholes in this world I still believe that people will do the right thing when its brought to their attention. Chances are that he never thought that it would become a big event.

• Members

Not in this town. Seriously, I've dealt with several events where all permits are in order and whatnot that were still shut down. Most recently I had a small bar show at a fully licensed venue shut down because, the security, who were labeled, bonded, and supplied
in excess of the legal requirements
, were also
not labeled on their backs

Something tells me that being labelled on their backs is PART OF the legal requirements. In which case, they weren't in excess of jack squat.

So...if that's the law, what's the problem again?

I know, it's a small detail, and you obviously think it's an unimportant one.

But rules and regulations are rules & regulations; if someone can't get a small detail right, what does that say about their ability to get the big things right? And what's to say that small detail isn't going to be critically important at some point?

As far as safety goes, I've seen enough stories of club tragedies in recent years from ignoring/not meeing code that I think you have to take a hard line, no exceptions.

And yes, that means shutting down EVERY SINGLE 'underground' club night, etc. like described in the OP.

Here's another code violation story in addition to The Station. In this case, not even a fire:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_E2_nightclub_stampede

• Members

Well, I know I'm in the minority here... that being said, many of you are over reacting. The Station fire was a tragedy, that we all agree on. But we don't know all the facts surrounding this situation, and telling someone to call it in so people get in trouble is the wrong thing to do as well, unless there is some overriding safety issue - like what was happeneing at the station nightclub. This sounds to me like an underground party that's pretty mellow, but certainly can't get any larger without serious thought about safety, and maybe they have, one doesn't know.

Government regulation has made it almost impossible to make a living unless you have a government approved lifestyle. I dunno, but that's not me.

I will grant that my community is very different than most; we actually leave a venue or area cleaner than when we arrived, pay for any damages, and generally don't have douchebags in attendance... so maybe I see in rose colored glasses. :)

T

• Members

And yes, that means shutting down EVERY SINGLE 'underground' club night, etc. like described in the OP.

Yeah, and squash some of the best creative musical & art avenues of expression. In the world you are advocating, there would be no creativity, except that which is approved by the government. The underground is, and always has been the best of music & art. Underground acts become mainstream- that's been the progression of it for as long as any of us have been alive... You think the Jazz Clubs of the 20's, 30's, 40's up to today would have been able to stay open with gov regulation? no way. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it and then wonder where the good music went.

• Members

Call the owner and mention the problems that you noticed. While there are a lot of assholes in this world I still believe that people will do the right thing when its brought to their attention. Chances are that he never thought that it would become a big event.

This. If he's an a-hole, then he reaps what he sows. but if he's a decent human being, he'll take it under consideration.

• Members

Something tells me that being labelled on their backs is PART OF the legal requirements. In which case, they weren't in excess of jack squat.

No it is not. It was a "Let's pull something out of our asses" enforcement. There was no cite made even though the venue manager even asked for a citation.

I've got quite a few similar stories.

The Police here are aggressive, nervous, underfunded and horribly undertrained with regard to crowd situations. I'm being dead serioius here: they'll actually use helicopters with spotlights and loudspeakers to clear out the bars in a few of the busier nightlife districts at close. I've never seen anything like it in any other city.

At the same time, local enforcement agencies are looking at very empty state and city coffers and see citations as their only dependable revenue stream.

It has become so nearly impossible to get things done the right way, that it has opened up things for idiots like whoever was putting together the event Subs attended.

Archived