MIM Fender Deluxe Strat ??? ("noiseless" pickups??)

arcadesonfire

• Members

Hey folks, I'm reading reviews of the Mexican Fender Deluxe Stratocaster, and they're really positive. Some folks say it's indistinguishable from an American. I've been wanting an American Strat with 22 frets forever, but then on top of shelling out big money (but not quite enough for all the bells and whistles), I would have to drill out the head to put in my must-have locking tuners.... And demanding 22 frets limits the options among their American Strats.

So does anyone have experience here with these <$700 Mexican Deluxes? I'm seeing them used for ~$450. My Mexican Jimmy Vaughan Strat has always had problems I've learned to deal with... the low E used to pop off the top of the neck till I learned how to deal with it, and the pickups are... I don't know how to describe the sound, but they could be much better. Or maybe that's the body wood? I don't know other than that I feel like I'm playing a non-professional guitar even though I used it professionally plenty.

Any experience with the Fender "noiseless" pickups?? I don't know how they work. Do they ruin the sound? I'd rather deal with hum than notchy or treble-lacking sound.

Thanks!

• Members

I'd actually look for a used american deluxe over a new mexican. It should about the same price as a new mexican deluxe, maybe ~$50-$75 more, but it will come with decent locking tuners as stock. Also, better hardware, better electronics, better wood, and noiseless pickups etc.

• Members

The newest strat I have must be close to 30 years old. It's like this.

It was good enough for bar work.

They are made in the USA, and can't be worth that much.

They are out there.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"molodauqqpcprklfx0ss.jpg","data-attachmentid":32226023}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t89DXAMStandard3.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t89.7 KB ID:\t32226022","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226022","data-size":"full","title":"89DXAMStandard3.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members
I'd actually look for a used american deluxe over a new mexican. It should about the same price as a new mexican deluxe' date=' maybe ~$50-$75 more, but it will come with decent locking tuners as stock. Also, better hardware, better electronics, better wood, and noiseless pickups etc.[/quote']

Ha, I was looking at a used MIM that popped up on Facebook for just $450 with the pushpot to add bridge p/u to neck. I read reviews on Sweetwater with some folks saying it matches up to American quality these days and got real excited. But yeah, I don't want to end up with another one like my current Mexican; the bridge sucks... it's damn hard to adjust the intonation. So yeah, if a used American with locking tuners under $800 exists out there, it's probably a better deal.

Edit: Looking closely at the bridge of the Mexican Deluxe, it looks like the same thing I've been fighting with for years. So yeah, screw it. Go American. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Members
The newest strat I have must be close to 30 years old. It's like this.

It was good enough for bar work.

They are made in the USA, and can't be worth that much.

They are out there.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tmolodauqqpcprklfx0ss.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t80.3 KB ID:\t32226023","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226023","data-size":"full","title":"molodauqqpcprklfx0ss.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t89DXAMStandard3.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t89.7 KB ID:\t32226022","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32226022","data-size":"full","title":"89DXAMStandard3.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Looks very nice. That 22nd fret is absolutely necessary for me! How else are you gonna play a face-melting solo in the guitar-friendly key of D? Whoever came up with this 21-fret idea was nuts!

• Members

Looks very nice. That 22nd fret is absolutely necessary for me! How else are you gonna play a face-melting solo in the guitar-friendly key of D? Whoever came up with this 21-fret idea was nuts!

I have a 4 strats, 1 is a 1984 57 RI, one is a 62 RI made in the 80's, a 1976 start that I bout in 1980 for 300 bucks from a local guy. and the last is the 1989 black strat.

The old school Fender Strats and teles are kinda what they are. I rarely make it that far down the neck, so just about anything with 12 working frets is ok, on any given day.

I was dicking around with some Robert Johnson song this morning before work.

[video=youtube;WvCcnRSPTj4]

I also was playing John Mayers Roll It On Home. I'm just a folks singer, kinda sorta.

[video=youtube;jB9NhpQTshQ]

• Members

I'm not sure which "Deluxe" you are talking about, but I bought a MIM Deluxe Player about a year ago or so, and it's really pretty sweet. I mean, I could feel something a little chintzy about the tremolo bridge, but it seemed adequate for my limited proficiency with a wiggle stick.

I think what I'm most happy with is that it's ash bodied, and I have this "fear of inexpensive ash bodied strats" since some of them have been too heavy n dense and bright sounding, like the sound comes off the top of the guitar, not coupled with it. But my MIM DP Strat has a nice sound with decent resonance with those noiseless pickups. It's also a damn nice looking guitar.

I've got others including a MIJ '60 RI, Eric Johnson, SRV, Jimmie V, MIM 50s Classic, a couple Am Deluxes, American Pro, Longboard, Classic Vibe, VG. two American Series and an American Special, whatever, and they all have their own little nuances. I guess the Jimmie Vaughan challenged me the most of all of them, since it was/is pretty sharp sound (lowering the p'ups quite a bit helped), but it's my substitue for collecting pretty ladies, and indeed, I'd dance with my MIM Deluxe Player with the Noiseless p'ups just about any night. Something about it just feels so comfy.

Mine looks like this

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"lg_13-3000-300.jpg","data-attachmentid":32226459}[/ATTACH]

I'd add that of its "unique features" I particularly like its 12"fb radius. Surprising to me, I don't find the extra switch to add in the bridge pickup, quite as useful as I thought I would. It's kind of a "no duh" that all 3 p'pups on at once sound a hair muddy, but the surprise was that neck + bridge wasn't quite as interesting as I expected. I thought it might get me some tele tone from a strat, but that was not was I was hearing. So although it's fine having that option, I find the tradition Strat p'up combinations to be the best.

Archived