Headphone choices

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

HD280 pro's here. I find them very well built, and very comfortable, even for extended periods of use. They're fine for this application. That said, none of these closed-cup headphones are worth a damn as far as resolution goes, but hey, this is for "Live" sound, and isolation is more important than resolution.

• Members

I prefer the 7502's over the larger ones personally. I don't care for the fold-up feature that folds up at the wrong time always!

Holy crap what a {censored}ty design. I like how they fold for storage, but I typically gaff tape them while in use, that drives me nuts. I've got a big head, so the 06's just fit better.

• Members

No isolation, best fidelity: Grado (any model, but preferably the 125 or better).

Good isolation, very good fidelity: M-Audio IE10 buds (now discontinued ;-(.

Best isolation, good fidelity: ExtremeHeadphones EX29 (the latest version only). (Some headphone amps are a bit puny for these if you like to listen too loudly.) (I've been advised that the fidelity of the EX25 is better, though the isolation is less good.)

Good isolation, decent fidelity: Sennheiser 280.

Lousy isolation, mediocre fidelity: Sony 7506.

All of these are around $100 save for Grado, which run from around $60 to very expensive.

• Members

Sennheiser HD280's isolate fine and get loud enough, but I their freq response is too hacked up. They have a "dark" bassy sound.

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50s 'phones. Isolation is almost as good as the 280's, they get insanely loud, and have a relatively flat and accurate response. All around great headphones.

• Members

I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50s 'phones. Isolation is almost as good as the 280's, they get
insanely
loud, and have a relatively flat and accurate response. All around great headphones.

+1.

I used them for a good while as replacement for my venerable 7506 which I liked (but didn't last but a few years.)

I liked them enough that when I decided to get another pair of phones for a different need, I bought the AT BPHS1 Broadcast Stereo Headset. It sounds great AND has a good quality boom mic on it which I use for talkback to the IEMs. This has been a great investment and I will never think of another set of phones without the boom mic again.

• Members

Just curious: what are you guys doing that fidelity/flat response is so important in your cans? Heck, why is isolation so important for that matter? As long as I can hear them over the mix, just about anything wil work. Who is really using headphones for more than checking to see if there is a signal there, or to balance levels?

For the record, I use Sennheiser HD280's.

• Members

i find the HD280's to have much more accurate fidelity than the sony 7506's, and i qualify this with the following:

i have routinely used both for quite a number of years to monitor live recordings and find when i get the recording home that only the recordings monitored with the 280's sound even remotely like what i was hearing live. the sony monitored recordings all turn out much darker with less direct sound than what i was hearing in the cans, to the point of that i would have definately moved mic's and changed things during tracking had i heard what was really happening. the hd280 monitored recordings however reveal no shock when playing back said recordings - it is what i was hearing live.

i no longer use the 7506's for anything at all. they are even too flimsy to use as a door prop.

• Members

I sometimes mix the night primarily on cans. For some of our corporate/blacktie events, the console CANNOT be out front. I can't even sit out front with a laptop. For those, FOH goes up sidestage where monitor world would usually be. At setup we match that cans are hearing pretty much what FOH produces. I trust my EQ settings on the console, so the cans are primarily for levels and FX. I have found that I can produce as good (and sometimes better) mix from the can as from mixing at FOH. I wouldn't try this in a club or loud environment, but for the events mentioned above I can get a very clean, quality mix with good cans.

• Members

Sorry for the misunderstanding. The 7506's fold funny. My 7502s are MUCH more tolerable, but I will gaff tape the folding piece sometimes on the 7506's so they don't fold up on me before I can get them on my head!

Ahhh, makes sense!

• Members

The point of cans is for a good reference point, to listen in for problems, to identify noises, to identify who is playing a particular part (for one-offs) and to verify balance between similar parts. Sometimes, the will be necessary to generate a mix like axisplayer mentioned, to listen in on monitor mixes to fine tune balances that the band is having a hard time verbalizing, but in all of these cases REASONABLE fidelity, isolation, reliability and especially comfort/convenience are the most important things. They do not have to be super accurate, super hi-fi, super whatever... the key to this is reasonable. That's why you see the same common choices amongst the pros... the 7202/5/6, the HD280, the AT's, etc... because they work well.

• Members

I sometimes mix the night primarily on cans. For some of our corporate/blacktie events, the console CANNOT be out front. I can't even sit out front with a laptop. For those, FOH goes up sidestage where monitor world would usually be. At setup we match that cans are hearing pretty much what FOH produces. I trust my EQ settings on the console, so the cans are primarily for levels and FX. I have found that I can produce as good (and sometimes better) mix from the can as from mixing at FOH. I wouldn't try this in a club or loud environment, but for the events mentioned above I can get a very clean, quality mix with good cans.

In your case I'm sure it also helps that you mix the same band all of the time.

Archived