So who's worse than BB King?

1001gear

• Members

First thing on that link.

[video=youtube;kKRDlmtTm2I]

Like it. Nicely arranged, interesting development. IOW the tune "happens" for lack of a better word. Good stuff.

i stumbled accross their whole lotta love cover some months ago and did listen then to their original music aswell and sinces then i'm a fan.

haven't listened to this video before, but yes i also like it

• Members
Blues based music is everywhere. Much of what I am able to improvise is blues based. Still, I find the blues genre uninteresting to a fault. Same ole rise and fall, same ole "melody" and it's not until you get into the gems of rock and jazz that you get any notable musical evolution.

I gave up weed in the 70s. It takes content to get my spirit going.

Listen to Robben Ford or Kenny Burrell play twelve bar blues or Oscar Peterson for that matter.

• Members

Listen to Robben Ford or Kenny Burrell play twelve bar blues or Oscar Peterson for that matter.

This I do. The difference is head room. There is freedom from that ugly pain suffered well through blues' genesis. What that translates to musically is, that blue bend is no longer magic. It's now vocabulary and the story has grown. People are now educated and the music reflects that. Complex harmonies and a century more of rhythmic evolution make guys like Ford a very enjoyable experience.

• Members

I find the rhythm too antsy. I mean it's more or less steady but the phrasing is all over the place. Stuff like that I leave for later when I'll be better prepared to anylize the ons and offs; see what's cool and what's slop. It would otherwise work for me if it was more stably articulated like Chick Corea say.

• Members
Here's the man himself back in his prime...

(check out the young lad on rhythm guitar)

[video=youtube_share;sQQ_vl47CGc]

I like this track. It's exemplary of what BB could come up with. Still, that stuff wears thin after a couple tunes. I think LC's presence is incidental here. He's the consummate dues er and a known fan boi. Much of the phrasing on that very track shows up in his solo work. Notice though, if you go through Larry's work, he would stop short of the BB pentatonics and play with his usual elite slickness.

Archived