Tops for 8 Yorkville LS801PB

• Members

I am joining forces with another DJ and we each will get 4 Yorkville LS801PB subs

In order to be able to combine them, 1) what Active tops would you recommend to handle this power? And 2) how many of them?

(For only 4 LS801PB I would get 4 EV ZXA5 tops)

Thanks,

• Members

I think you use a 2:1 RMS rating so if you got a 600w sub rms rating then the mid/high would be 300w rms rating for the 2:1 ratio.

I'm sure Andy or Don or other experts will correct me if wrong they have many of times before.

• Members

The Ls801pb is a high output sub. I ran 2 Ef500ps to 1 sub. This was a good match. 1 to 1 the sound will be bass strong by quite a bit. Unless you turn the sub down or eq some bass out. But who does that.....

I'd have it set up as 2 ls801ps with 3 ef500ps per side. Then have the other 4 subs placed in the center. Better coverage at the expense of output. Even then your going to have a lot of bass.

Google Cobra Sound. They ran a 3 ef500p/2 ls800p setup for awhile. Send them a pm or email and get their point of view on the system. Hard to make out but you can just see their mains in a photo I attached.

A block of 4 ef500ps like the other picture would be great as well. Have the 4 raised up and have the top 2 speakers turned upside down so the horns would couple well. ( Of course have them strapped safely!) That would fill quite a room or outside.

If your music is bass strong you'll like the combo. Never heard your EV ZXA5 tops. They may struggle to keep up with the subs.

Dookietwo

• Members

I think you use a 2:1 RMS rating so if you got a 600w sub rms rating then the mid/high would be 300w rms rating for the 2:1 ratio.

I'm sure Andy or Don or other experts will correct me if wrong they have many of times before.

It depends.

I use 3x the power to the tops as subs but for entirely different reasons and different application.

• Members

Thanks for of the input. Everything points to the ef500pb's.

I see that they have a 60 degree horizontal dispersion. Also 650 watts to the woofer and 150 watts to the 2 inch horn.

Now the EV ZXA5 has 60 degree horizontal dispersion, 1000 watts to the woofer and 250 watts to the 2 inch horn.

On paper it seems that the ZXA5 would keep up better with the subs, does any one have experience with both?

Any other active options?

Thanks,

• Members

Thanks for of the input. Everything points to the ef500pb's.

I see that they have a 60 degree horizontal dispersion. Also 650 watts to the woofer and 150 watts to the 2 inch horn.

Now the EV ZXA5 has 60 degree horizontal dispersion, 1000 watts to the woofer and 250 watts to the 2 inch horn.

On paper it seems that the ZXA5 would keep up better with the subs, does any one have experience with both?

Any other active options?

Thanks,

The EV ZXA5 has a 2 in voice coil , 1 inch exit horn. The EF500p has a 3 inch voice coil 2 inch exit horn.

The ev has 2 horn choices. http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=414 60X60 or 90 X 50

The yorkville is spec. at 127 dbs max. Having owned them for some time I know this is not calculated but real world. They can do this all night long. I believe the EV is Calculated. Or on paper they can do this. They have been out now for some time so I am sure you can find the reviews.

The yorkvilles are a wooden box and come in at 89lbs. but kick butt. They array well in 2s and 3s.

The only other speaker I know that gets up and goes is from KV2.

http://www.kv2audio.com/product.asp?ProdID=ES1.0&ProdSeries=ES

The amps are in a rack but its still , in a way, a powered processed box.

Take a look at the KV2 line.

Dookietwo

• Members

The EV ZXA5 has a 2 in voice coil , 1 inch exit horn. The EF500p has a 3 inch voice coil 2 inch exit horn.

The ev has 2 horn choices.
http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=414
60X60 or 90 X 50

The yorkville is spec. at 127 dbs max. Having owned them for some time I know this is not calculated but real world. They can do this all night long. I believe the EV is Calculated. Or on paper they can do this. They have been out now for some time so I am sure you can find the reviews.

The yorkvilles are a wooden box and come in at 89lbs. but kick butt. They array well in 2s and 3s.

The only other speaker I know that gets up and goes is from KV2.

http://www.kv2audio.com/product.asp?ProdID=ES1.0&ProdSeries=ES

The amps are in a rack but its still , in a way, a powered processed box.

Take a look at the KV2 line.

Dookietwo

Thanks for the in depth and easy to understand review!!

I really liked the EFP until I saw the weight :(. But what more can I ask if I want to match those subs!!!!

• Members

It depends.

I use 3x the power to the tops as subs but for entirely different reasons and different application.

Well is the advice right or wrong? because it's advice I got from you 6 years ago when I first came a board here.

• Members

Well is the advice right or wrong? because it's advice I got from you 6 years ago when I first came a board here.

Which applies to your application.

What I was trying to point out is that each application is different and the rule of thumb you stated may or may not apply to the OP. For example, a PRX-618 matches up well to a PRX-612 1:1 for many applications. Both are similar power.

Archived