What piece of gear has pleasantly surprised you in the last decade?

Ernest Buckley

• Members

I think what has really surprised me the most are my monitors - they are the Edirol MA-10D. They sit real nice on the desk, and over time they have sounded far better than when I first hooked them up. The other thing I like about them is the color scheme. They are not the typical black speakers that are so prevalent but instead are a nice light wood-grain cabinet with a blue face and silver highlights. Plus they have digital in as well as RCA inputs. I think I paid around $100 brand new.

https://www.cnet.com/products/edirol-ma-10d-speaker-system/specs/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I just purchased a new computer, an iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 processor with SSD, and so far, I really like it. I haven't begun running Pro Tools on it yet, although that will eventually occur. But so far, it's nice to have, as it's my first brand new computer I've owned in 17 years. I'm running Luminar 2018 and Photoshop CC, and it's working extremely well so far for those things. So those are my new bits of gear that is, well, tangentially related to audio since I'm going to be using it soon!

Oh, the other thing is that I recently used an Audix D6 kick drum mic for, well, a kick drum, and I was pleased at how easy it was to get a great sound. I didn't have to carve out the low mids nearly as much. Good and solid, and a good choice if you want a relatively modern kick drum sound.

I`ve been using an iMac since 2011 for all my projects. It rocks. Super quiet and I`ve had 40+ tracks with loads of plugs going and the iMac just keeps chugging along.

As for the D6... its my favorite mic for kick drum. It does a great job without much need for EQ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I was just thinking about what a great piece of gear that Line 6 KB37 is. I've had that thing for a number of years already and honestly haven't used it that much but I'm sure glad I've held on to it. I say that because since getting married and consolidating households I've sold several thousand dollars worth of gear at bargain basement prices but now this one is going to come in real handy for a gig. I'm going to use it to play some samples I put into Reason's NN-XT when I play keys for the "Ultimate Rock Hits" concert with the Dubuque Symphony Orchestra this month. It's got a great little keyboard and since it's also an interface I can plug the output into my amp alongside my full size Roland keyboard, this is gonna be a fun gig!

• 1 month later...

Archived