Danley TH-Mini update?

• Members

Good reason for NOT offering in 4 ohm... too many stupid people claiming warranty for lack of good judgement IMO.

Well, I suspect my situation is fairly common "down here". A "typical" amp is an RMX2450 or other of similar output. With 8 ohm subs you only have 500w each which is kinda low for these crazy subs - so the temptation is to bridge them at 1200w each. If they were 4 ohm they's get 750w in stereo which is enough not to tempt you to bridge - plus you can't anyways as they would be a 2 ohm load in parallel :cool:. As most folks can't set up proper limiting to make that safe I'd say the 4 ohm version (if available) is better for most folk.

My IPR3000 is 820w into each at 4 ohms and 1350 bridged into each at 8 ohms but only 430w into each at 8 ohms. I'd really rather not bridge (and have to use a DSP limiter) but I'm sure not gonna run only 430w!

• Members
500 watts is IMO perfect for most users.

Danley demo'd them at 3000w :eek: - but once you've heard them there 500w just isn't an option. Hey they want to sell me a demo for 10% off - heck of a deal after it's been "demo'd' at 3000w for a few months, eh? :facepalm:

• Members

Danley demo'd them at 3000w
:eek:
- but once you've heard them there 500w just isn't an option. Hey they want to sell me a demo for 10% off - heck of a deal after it's been "demo'd' at 3000w for a few months, eh?
:facepalm:

Measure the TS parameters of a mechanically stressed driver to a new drive and you will never consider buying many used speakers again. Todd saw how this works first hand. I see it all the time.

• Members
Measure the TS parameters of a mechanically stressed driver to a new drive and you will never consider buying many used speakers again. Todd saw how this works first hand. I see it all the time.

Yah - especially as I hear them tapped horns are quite picky about where the "tap" is vs the TS parameters - if they change I bet the tuning really goes to heck :freak:. I hope Todd "checks in" with a report after he gets them all inspected and reconed :) . I'll be happy and feel safe enough if I can get the TH-Mini's powered to 1.25x RMS after seeing what other folk do to the poor little guys :eek: .

• Members

My understanding is that a tapped horn design helps limit excursion of the driver by how the horn couples the acoustic energy near the mouth and that this then allows the driver to handle more power before running into excursion problems. I don't however have any real understanding of where that power level would be in regards to the TH-Mini.....

Winston

• Members

Anybody buy the rather expensive Danley covers for these or bought some from elsewhere?

All of our covers are the premium padded ones from Lecover. http://www.lecover.com/gig.html They are about the same level of protection as the JBL branded ones we had for our Eons originally. Which means they are good for scratch and light ding protection, but they aren't going to keep a rolling amp rack from doing damage if it gets going. I've seem some heavier duty covers that were made by Tuki on other peoples gear before, but the same weight covers from Tuki were quite a bit more expensive when I first priced covers. I've been happy with what Larry makes for out level of use and need to order another amp cover from him.

When I got our covers for the Minis in 08, I also got a Fender Twin cover and looking back at our records we paid $195 then for the three covers. He might even have saved the measurements I sent him.

Winston

• Members

Anybody buy the rather expensive Danley covers for these or bought some from elsewhere?

I have the danley expensive ones but I don't really like them. I am spoiled by my rcf covers which I really like

• Members

I sure did, although it isn't affecting how i think of used gear per se, rather how much I am willing to pay for it. Then again, Tony sold those to me for an extremely competitive price, and I'm still below avg used price, even with the reconing I'm doing on all of them.

Checking in -

I had the ability to do an A/B with a stressed driver Vs. a New Re-cone. The difference was NIGHT and DAY. almost 10dB more output-I'm going to measure it and report back.

The re-cone was MUCH stiffer & tighter sounding, and just hit me so much harder.

T

• Members

I sure did, although it isn't affecting how i think of used gear per se, rather how much I am willing to pay for it. Then again, Tony sold those to me for an extremely competitive price, and I'm still below avg used price, even with the reconing I'm doing on all of them.

Checking in -

I had the ability to do an A/B with a stressed driver Vs. a New Re-cone. The difference was NIGHT and DAY. almost 10dB more output-I'm going to measure it and report back.

The re-cone was MUCH stiffer & tighter sounding, and just hit me so much harder.

T

This is exactly why powering conservatively and having enough rig for the gig is so important.

On those drivers, I'll bet the cone is sitting back from the neutral center point too, the classic indicator of some forms of overpowering.

• Members

Yup. that is the case. Although in my case, I don't think they were overpowered from too much amplifier power per se, but rather too much Boom-Boom, hehehe. Then again, they were probably tired when I got them, then I used the crap outta them,and put electronic music through 'em, which makes 'em even more tired, especially when I was still dumb & stupid and ran with no Limiting :)

A week at BM with Thump running through them 12 hrs a day/6days makes drivers tired & sore.

T

• Members

Yup. that is the case. Although in my case, I don't think they were overpowered from too much amplifier power per se, but rather too much Boom-Boom, hehehe. Then again, they were probably tired when I got them, then I used the crap outta them,and put electronic music through 'em, which makes 'em even more tired, especially when I was still dumb & stupid and ran with no Limiting
:)

A week at BM with Thump running through them 12 hrs a day/6days makes drivers tired & sore.

T

It makes me tired and sore as well.

W

Archived