Power issue at club. Plugging PA into main power box?

• Members

So we were advised by a number of local sound guys that when running a PA at this particular club, to plug directly into this:

2011-05-04_19-31-41_621.jpg

Problem is, that's all we were told. Anybody know what we need to do this? Some kind of clamps-to-AC-outlet adapter or something?

Thanks.

• Members

a licensed qualified sparky!!!! ONLY...

since your close to indiana i have the batesville casket company number also.

PLZZZ

dont see any deox a red flag to who installed it

• Members

Looks like it has been modified by end users. I don't see a ground wire but I see the neutral going directly to ground. There are two black wires...one is hot and I can't identify the other one. It looks like this box is suppose to be for switching 240VAC and is not suppose to have a neutral wire at all. I wouldn't go near that box. It's just wrong.

• Members

Also, it looks like the neutral conductor is bonded to the case ground, and the ground conductor isn't attached to anything... just hanging out loose there between the two landed load conductors... maybe what appears to be black tape around the uninsulated ground conductor is a "safety precaution"?

• Members

There is only one black wire in there. I agree the other one looks like the ground wire with black electrical tape. I would stay away from this. And most respectable commercial electricians would probably too.

Regarding the neutral wire tied to the ground block, I bet if you went into the main panel, this system is probably setup with the neutrals going to the ground block. I still don't recommend hooking into this. Are they expecting you to wire nut the ground?

• Members

There is only one black wire in there. I agree the other one looks like the ground wire with black electrical tape. I would stay away from this. And most respectable commercial electricians would probably too.

look below the red section on the left side. there appears to be another lug there and an additional black wire above it(?) hard to tell for sure.

if you think that box looks bad - never ever go to china.

• Members

Looks like it has been modified by end users. I don't see a ground wire but I see the neutral going directly to ground. There are two black wires...one is hot and I can't identify the other one. It looks like this box is suppose to be for switching 240VAC and is not suppose to have a neutral wire at all. I wouldn't go near that box. It's just wrong.

Yup, the other black wire looks to be just sitting between the two line lugs. Looks like it MIGHT come from a conduit bushing grounding lug but can't tell for sure. The bond between neutral and ground is illegal. Those load lugs are tiny.

• Members

Just in case you haven't picked up on this from the rest of the thread - don't touch it. Only a licensed electrician should attempt to do something like this, and a licensed electrician would take one look at that box and tell the owner where to put it. That's a death by electrocution just waiting to happen.

• Members

Just in case you haven't picked up on this from the rest of the thread - don't touch it. Only a licensed electrician should attempt to do something like this, and a licensed electrician would take one look at that box and tell the owner where to put it. That's a death by electrocution just waiting to happen.

The sad thing is that this was probably installed by a licensed electrician.

• Members

Dunno how old it is but 30 years back they weren't that uncommon 'round these parts. The only small distros I saw back then had bare tails. I don't think they had invented electric ranges yet ;) or at least all the range plugs I saw were 3 wire no neutral :freak:.

• Members

a licensed qualified sparky!!!! ONLY...

since your close to indiana i have the batesville casket company number also.

PLZZZ

No de-ox needed if they are CU lugs and copper wire. De-ox is for aluminum to prevent oxidation of the wire, which forms a coating on the wire, prevented a good conductance. Copper doesn't have that problem.

I like the lug sitting on the bottom, and the open KO on the side. c-l-A-S-S-y

• Members

Yes. Close the door and walk away. If you don't know, you are not qualified to even discuss it. This will kill you, and possibly others.

+1 & absolutely stay out!!! Kind of like a classic Ferrari 250 GT, If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

• Members

The sad thing is that this was probably installed by a licensed electrician.

Maybe it was originally installed correctly, and pieces were taken off. Hard to tell. Don't know if the neutral is connected to an isolated lug or if it's bonded directly to ground from the photo.

Archived